Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Whereabouts of Thráin (possible spoilers?)

Lio
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 1:34am

Views: 584
Shortcut
The Whereabouts of Thráin (possible spoilers?) Can't Post

Hi everyone, I've been a longtime fan but this is my first time posting here! I'm really looking forward to how the story of The Hobbit movies unfolds over the next year and a half (even if some of the changes from the book are a bit... hmm Crazy).

Anyway, sorry if this has been discussed before but I've been lurking here for about two months now and I don't remember seeing it brought up. Basically I was reading through the Visual Companion for the first movie and a few lines concerning Thráin caught my eye:

• On page 20: "Thorin is the son of Thráin, and for long years since his father vanished in the dark halls of Khazad-dûm he has borne the heavy burden of the hopes of his people . . . "

The seems to suggest that Thráin was captured in Moria (probably after the battle there, where he is said to have disappeared during Balin's flashback), rather than in Mirkwood as in the book. Then there's this:

• On page 32: "Balin was there at the Front Gate of the Lonely Mountain with King Thráin and the young prince Thorin when Smaug descended in flame and fire, and he saw the town of Dale destroyed. He also accompanied Thráin on the doomed expedition to regain the kingdom of Khazad-dûm, when his king was captured by Goblins and lost to his people."

This could possibly be a mistake since Thráin was not the King, Thrór was. The second sentence could still be correct with respect to Thráin's capture though.

So, putting it all together, it seems that Thráin is originally captured in Moria and taken to Dol Guldur at a later time. This has some implications for the movie story:

• When exactly did Gandalf obtain Thráin's map and key? It seems from the movie that he has not been to Dol Guldur, since Radagast had to warn him about the evil there. But in one of the trailers, I think, Gandalf is shown fighting Thráin in Dol Guldur, so maybe that encounter has yet to happen? Could Gandalf have obtained the map and key from Thráin before his capture?
  • Connection between Bolg, Azog, and Dol Guldur. Bolg was at the battle outside Moria during the flashback, but it's been stated somewhere (his action figure description, I think?) that he's the torturer at Dol Guldur. So possibly he could have brought Thráin there after his capture. Bolg could have also gotten the information regarding the map and key from Thráin (who, if the above speculation is correct, had already given them to Gandalf). Hence, Azog and his hunters knowing about the quest. This would also tie in with Azog's lines about Thráin's fear to Thorin near the end of the movie.

Thanks to anyone reading this far. That was rambling, I know! Crazy

But what does everyone think? Laugh

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Subject User Time
The Whereabouts of Thráin (possible spoilers?) Lio Send a private message to Lio Jan 19 2013, 1:34am
    Peter Jackson... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 19 2013, 3:04am
    Bolg Hamfast of Gamwich Send a private message to Hamfast of Gamwich Jan 19 2013, 9:40am
    There are a lot of theories running around the forum Anubis Send a private message to Anubis Jan 19 2013, 12:24pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.