Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
the Hobbit: Chronicles (film book)

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 9:00pm

Post #1 of 13 (844 views)
Shortcut
the Hobbit: Chronicles (film book) Can't Post

Just got my copy of the book on WETA's excellent designwork for the first film.

WHOOT! Get one!

Awesome art by Alan Lee and John Howe and others.

One of the finest bits is the line of Dwarves in the Company in their earliest concept... they all look short and stout and the same... at the bottom of the same set of pages is the Company as it is finally fleshed out... distinctive silhouettes and characterizations.

Also, in the back, is a terrific foldout copy of Bilbo's contract and the variations that went through (add more... more... more ).

Go outside and play...

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 9:07pm

Post #2 of 13 (340 views)
Shortcut
Just ordered mine [In reply to] Can't Post

Always been interested in conceptual art (I'm currently studying animation) and I have very much enjoyed Weta's work so needless to say I can't wait.

Never realised it was part of a series of books, the next one comes with a fold-out size chart, going all the way from Bilbo to Stone Giant!

Yes, my username is terrible.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 9:12pm

Post #3 of 13 (326 views)
Shortcut
Yep, got mine for Christmas! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a must-have, I would say. It's absolutely gorgeous in terms of the presentation, as well as the artwork contained within. Fascinating to see all the different ideas they came up with for the design of someof the characters, before arriving at the look they wanted.

Also gives pictures and info on the stuff we can (hopefully) look forward to on the EE, such as the tombs in the High Fells and the young Bilbo scene...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 13 (318 views)
Shortcut
Its a great book [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a signed copy I bought from Weta and a unsigned copy I bought on Amazon to look at. There are some really great designs in there that they had and like anything some things I wish they had gone with or glad they didn't. If you liked this book there is a part two thats coming out in the spring.

Arthael
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 10:11pm

Post #5 of 13 (278 views)
Shortcut
Love it!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Art Of books, and my LotR ones are def my favorites. I was a little frustrated when they went with a totally new design, but eh, not a big deal. The AUJ Chronicles is great!! I think my favorite part is the goblin designs. So twisted!! I wish they'd featured more of them in the film. Some of them are pretty horrifying! Perhaps that's why they cut them out. The High Fells and Wilderland concept art is great. I hope we get to see more of these epic landscapes in later films.

The biggest surprise for me is how much i HATE almost every Radagast design they came up with. Almost all of them are flat out awful. Thank god Alan Lee did that one drawing of Radagast wearing *gasp* BROWN colored robes, all tattered and torn, standing next to his sled, or else we might have ended up with something much much worse. Although I do like the drawings (on the opposite page to the one I just mentioned) where he has short robes and stockings. Pretty much everything else is horrendous.

Aside from Radagast, I thought all the designs were great!!! I would've liked to see more of the hunter orcs and Azog, but I guess we'll get them in the DOS Chronicles...

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 10:24pm

Post #6 of 13 (270 views)
Shortcut
I love this book [In reply to] Can't Post

so worth the $40.00 I paid for it. I love all the deleted scenes they talk about, like the Old Tooks party. So awesome

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 18 2013, 10:26pm

Post #7 of 13 (271 views)
Shortcut
Yep, got my signed copy as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I haven't had the opportunity to do anything but a quick look into it, but I love everything that Weta has done! It's so interesting to see the different and evolving ideas of what everyone and everything looks like. The creative energy that went into the designs was just mind-boggling. (I'm still trying to figure out whose signature it is in the front of the book, along with Richard Taylor's and Daniel Falconer's..LOL!)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 1:02am

Post #8 of 13 (210 views)
Shortcut
one of the top Christmas presents [In reply to] Can't Post

I got. And the letters on the map glow in the dark.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 1:43am

Post #9 of 13 (198 views)
Shortcut
I want one for my birthday [In reply to] Can't Post

which will be in two months.

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 4:29am

Post #10 of 13 (185 views)
Shortcut
glow in the ... wha??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I got. And the letters on the map glow in the dark.

ermagherd! they do!!!

(Almost had to go to Rivendell for that one...)

Go outside and play...

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 5:24am

Post #11 of 13 (162 views)
Shortcut
it's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got mine too, and as it was a preordered item it came hand signed by four designers incluiding Richard Taylor and Daniel Falconer. I'ts a delight. Really, get one!

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 6:17am

Post #12 of 13 (159 views)
Shortcut
Got mine for Christmas [In reply to] Can't Post

from Mr. Ro, bless him. It's great having a husband just as into these things as I am. Well, almost. Not sure he fancies Thorin quite as much. Wink

But yes, this book is FANTASTIC. I absolutely love reading through how designs for various things evolved, and why. I love the whole section on each of the Dwarves. The funniest part, though, is the full contract at the end -- have you read the whole thing? Including the fine print? It's hilarious! Have to admit I haven't read the whole thing yet since I get sort of distracted by the Dwarves.

celboy
The Shire

Jan 19 2013, 8:20pm

Post #13 of 13 (148 views)
Shortcut
And there's a 2nd one coming........but not sure when?? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Unexpected-Chronicles-Creatures-Characters/dp/0062265687/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358626683&sr=1-2&keywords=hobbit+chronicles

celboy

"I'm a libra. What sign are you?"--Dwan KK76

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.