Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The theories were true! Azog is Yazneg! I mean, Yazneg is Azog!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Snatcher
The Shire

Jan 18 2013, 6:40pm

Post #1 of 38 (2333 views)
Shortcut
The theories were true! Azog is Yazneg! I mean, Yazneg is Azog! Can't Post

Now, this may have already been talked about before, but if it was, I missed it, and then I'm sorry if I bring this news which isn't actually new.

Anyway, do you remember that they were some people who thought that Azog is CGI because it was the only way for PJ to replace the orc that was supposed to appear in various scenes? These theories started to appear after the whole John Rawls/Manu Bennett confusion (with Rawls first credited as Azog, then as Yazneg, and Manu Bennett being credited as Azog after that). Well, these people were right! I just checked the videos of Letteri talking about the special effects, and on the third one (which you can find on this page:http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/01/16/hobbit-fx-wiz-joe-letteri-on-gollum-the-goblin-king-and-azog/), at 0:05, you can clearly see the orc now known as Yazneg fighting Thorin during the battle of Azanulbizar! Letteri says that it was because PJ wasn't convinced with the design for Azog that he got replaced. So, originally, Azog was indeed meant to be a guy in prosthetics! And it's interesting to note he was apparently meant to appear during the Warg-Scouts sequence.

Again, sorry if this has been already discussed!

Arthael
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 7:00pm

Post #2 of 38 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Now that I see the footage side-by-side [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually find myself preferring Azog!!! He was one of my biggest complaints about the film, but I wasn't much of a fan of the Yanzeg design either.

In fact, it wasn't just the CGI Azog, I was actually disappointed in a lot of the orc designs in the film. The Art Of book as some truly horrific goblin designs that I found to be much more exciting than those used in the final film. And the hunting party didn't impress me too much either.

I was so impressed by this photo and disappointed we didn't get more screen time with fellas like these!
http://kpbs.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/...9048ef63ad7b451e7676

Oh well, maybe in DOS....

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 7:02pm

Post #3 of 38 (1143 views)
Shortcut
It's really too bad [In reply to] Can't Post

While Azog's facial expressions were really good, his overall person just looked like unfinished CG. It's too bad they replaced the physical actor so late in the game.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 7:03pm

Post #4 of 38 (1219 views)
Shortcut
That's a great photo [In reply to] Can't Post

What is it from? I'd love to see orcs look like that.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Arthael
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 7:20pm

Post #5 of 38 (1160 views)
Shortcut
The Visual Companion [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=69760

This image was released a month or two prior to the film, and actually it really got my hopes up. Really reminds me of the grittiness of FotR. I don't know where these guys went...

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Snatcher
The Shire

Jan 18 2013, 7:21pm

Post #6 of 38 (1193 views)
Shortcut
They went to the BO5A [In reply to] Can't Post

That's where.

In Reply To
I don't know where these guys went...

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 7:30pm

Post #7 of 38 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Those orcs will be in TDOS [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been told by a very thrustworthy source.

That's Shane Rangi as the tall orc on the left Smile

If you look at the location it looks very much like the location where the dwarves finally get out of their barrels (seen in one of the vlogs).

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 8:32pm

Post #8 of 38 (959 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant Carne :D. I kinda guessed they would do so. // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 38 (927 views)
Shortcut
The thread title made me think of... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Einhorn is Finkle! Finkle is Einhorn!"

It's a shame they replaced Azog with a CG character. I would have preferred an actor in prosthetics. Would have made him look less video game-ish. But with the last minute change, there just wasn't time I guess.

triptrap
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 8:57pm

Post #10 of 38 (937 views)
Shortcut
haha, you had your legolas moment right? [In reply to] Can't Post

personally azog really grew on me, especially after his making-of video. i wasn't so fond of the yazneg design and didn't really like the other orcs as well

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 8:58pm

Post #11 of 38 (936 views)
Shortcut
Azog would kick Lurtz's butt. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 9:01pm

Post #12 of 38 (953 views)
Shortcut
They made the right choice between the two designs... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in an ideal world, they'd have used the Azog design as prosthetics on a massive actor such as Conan Stevens.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 9:15pm

Post #13 of 38 (916 views)
Shortcut
I'm kinda glad they changed his design [In reply to] Can't Post

Yazneg was fine for an Orc captain/lieutenant, his strange armour/spike things made him stand out from the rest of the Hunter Orcs, but I don't think he looked imposing or strong enough to portray Azog. I thought Manu Bennet's played Azog really well, hardest Orc ever.

Guess the lego set with Yazneg on the white warg makes some sense now.

Also remember Conan Stevens was introduced in on the Vlogs as Azog rather than Bolg.

Yes, my username is terrible.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 10:18pm

Post #14 of 38 (875 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the actor [In reply to] Can't Post

Every villain doesn't need to visually be a 180 from the other supporting villains. He also wouldn't look like came straight from a video game either.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 10:20pm

Post #15 of 38 (843 views)
Shortcut
I'd love a video game with such graphics. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe with next generation of consoles, which are supposedly coming this year. Wink

cartermoulton
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 11:03pm

Post #16 of 38 (826 views)
Shortcut
so, originally [In reply to] Can't Post

yazneg fought with thorin @ battle,
yazneg followed the company?

the video says that Azog was originally a prosthetic character (no mention of yazneg). care to clear this up for me?

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 11:05pm

Post #17 of 38 (828 views)
Shortcut
I think I'm a bit behind... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Yazneg-who-was-the-original-design-for-Azog the strange-looking orc in the December of my 2013 Hobbit calendar?

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 11:08pm

Post #18 of 38 (1262 views)
Shortcut
No, Azog was originally supposed to look like Yazneg [In reply to] Can't Post

Then they re-designed Azog and gave his original design to Yazneg.

cartermoulton
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 11:11pm

Post #19 of 38 (802 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

might this complicate the notion that the entire azog backstory was simply thrown in last minute?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2013, 12:07am

Post #20 of 38 (790 views)
Shortcut
And actor... [In reply to] Can't Post

John Rawls was originally playing Azog, using an initial design for the part...they then re-designed and re-cast the role, going with a digital character played by Manu Bennett. John Rawl's Orc character was redesignated "Yazneg" and his part was reworked as Azog's lieutenant. Some of this probably included filming new material, as well as inserting the digital Azog over the practical previous version, and debubbing/subtitling the Orc dialogue.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2013, 12:22am

Post #21 of 38 (737 views)
Shortcut
So where does Conan Stevens come in? // [In reply to] Can't Post

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 12:23am

Post #22 of 38 (768 views)
Shortcut
Bolg, [In reply to] Can't Post

in Desolation of Smaug Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Jan 19 2013, 12:23am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2013, 12:44am

Post #23 of 38 (715 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes, i forgot Bolg. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lio
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 1:58am

Post #24 of 38 (880 views)
Shortcut
Does this mean Azog was supposed to have survived all along? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been under the impression that the whole character of Azog (outside the flashback) was a last-minute addition due to the three-movie split. But this and the Lego set with the old Azog design (now Yazneg) seems to disprove that. It seems instead that the major change was updating Azog's design and the addition of Yazneg as a separate character. (On the other hand, the Lego Azog/Yazneg is not missing his arm. So maybe the original fight between Thorin and Azog played out differently?)

By the way, I much prefer the new Azog design. Nothing wrong with the old one (except I'm not a fan of the pinkish skin, reminds me a bit of Gothmog), but I think the infamous Orc-king needs to look more... remarkable. The CGI design does that.

And is it just me, but does Yazneg look slightly different than "old Azog"? For example, I'm pretty sure Yazneg had darker skin. Crazy

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 19 2013, 2:40am

Post #25 of 38 (726 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they got tired of people saying [In reply to] Can't Post

that because many of the baddies in LOTR were dark skinned, that the production was racist. Now we have the two main villains of AUJ (Azog and the Goblin King) having fairer skin than most of the dwarves.

ETA as for Azog surviving all along, I think it was assumed he died, but the loss of part of an arm is not always fatal.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 19 2013, 2:42am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.