Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Thread for Ori...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 11:42am

Post #1 of 52 (986 views)
Shortcut
A Thread for Ori... Can't Post

I really don't like being negative. But, to be honest, Ori bothered me so much that I felt the need to start a thread.

Not only is his look frustrating (he looks like a medieval monk who still gets dressed by his mother), but his characterization is so horrible that I don't think I will ever come around to it. I don't know whether to blame PJ or Adam Brown. Literally every line that is spoken by him is tragically overacted. At the same time, he comes off as a "mommas boy" who is also fairly old. It gives me this odd vibe that, when he's not on an adventure, he's hanging out in his mom's basement, and she's reluctantly asking "soooo any job prospects today?"

I'm sorry again, but is any one else as frustrated with him as I am?

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Azaghl
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 11:50am

Post #2 of 52 (571 views)
Shortcut
His looks doesn't bother me that much. [In reply to] Can't Post

But his personality is just annoying. He doesn't really have any positive characteristics. We do know that he is the scribe of the bunch and that he keeps a record of what the company experience, too bad they don't really show it in the movie.

I hope that it is developed in the next movie or maybe in the EE.

*Baruk khazd! Khazd ai-mnu!*

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 11:55am

Post #3 of 52 (579 views)
Shortcut
The only positive thing about him is... [In reply to] Can't Post

I get to clap every time I watch FOTR. I'm glad he met his doom eventually. Although, I wish that warg would have just devoured him after he shot it with that lame slingshot.

imin
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 12:36pm

Post #4 of 52 (527 views)
Shortcut
wow you really dont like him! [In reply to] Can't Post

Made me lol though Tongue

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 18 2013, 12:45pm

Post #5 of 52 (556 views)
Shortcut
Ori is meant to be a 'momma's boy' [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the characterisation they've gone for - easily influenced by Nori, wanting to impress him, when really he's led a sheltered life and probably isn't cut out for this. I've heard some people suggest he has learning difficulties, but I don't agree with this at all.

I would agree that Adam Brown's voice and mannerisms are somewhat distracting. His voice verges on 'camp' at times. But all we've really heard to date is one line about plates and a few soundbites. I'd like to hear him have a proper conversation, with Bilbo perhaps, about his writing. Just in normal mode.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 1:31pm

Post #6 of 52 (493 views)
Shortcut
It's the burp [In reply to] Can't Post

...that immediately killed him for me. If Ori does the Bilbo drawing though, perhaps he can redeem himself in a personal scene.

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 2:16pm

Post #7 of 52 (477 views)
Shortcut
this post is very accurate --- [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Chronicles and Visual Guide explain that they wanted Ori, Nori, and Dori, to be "upper-class", slightly-bourgeois and sheltered dwarves, in contrast to Bifur, Bofur and Bombur who are supposed to be more working-class. That's why Nori and Dori have such ornate and styled hair whereas Chronicles said Bifur's hair was modeled off of Keith Richards Tongue

I don't really mind Ori. He's goofy. He's supposed to be a twerp. I'd rather have him that way than for all the dwarves to be non-descript.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 2:32pm

Post #8 of 52 (455 views)
Shortcut
That's how I feel too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't really mind Ori. He's goofy. He's supposed to be a twerp. I'd rather have him that way than for all the dwarves to be non-descript.

I find him mildly annoying; were he a real person he would not be to my taste. But as a film character I like him just fine, because there are plenty of real-life people who are annoying in similar ways! It's not necessary or realistic for everyone to be likable (not is it likely possible, we all like different things...)

Personally I don't care one way or another whether Ori is the youngest or not. Fili and Kili are also clearly shown to be young, and which of Kili and Ori are younger and by what small number of years, does not substantially affect how I feel about them. (F&K are, regardless, waaaay too young to die. *sigh*) But I have to say, I am the mom of two boys (8 and 10) and they really enjoyed Ori, he was one of the Dwarves that stood out for them both in a positive way (to the detriment of their table manners, sadly...Wink ) . And particularly, the things about him that some of us may find "juvenile", like the burp, the non-eating of green veggies, and the slingshot.

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 2:35pm

Post #9 of 52 (461 views)
Shortcut
slingshot [In reply to] Can't Post

The slingshot was ridiculous.

Seriously Thorin for most part of the film Thorin has doubts about Bilbo's ability to survive in the wild but what about Ori ? the momma's boy armed with a slingshot ?
Complaining about elvish food ?
The boy needs a kick in the butt.

Can't he be killed in BOFA in place of Fili or Kili ?

PJ please react to what we can call the "Ori's debacle"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 3:14pm

Post #10 of 52 (448 views)
Shortcut
Leave Ori alone! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's so adorable. Smile

Slim
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 3:43pm

Post #11 of 52 (412 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind him at all [In reply to] Can't Post

It would get boring very quickly if everyone was a 'cool' dwarf...Smile

EyeRock
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 4:30pm

Post #12 of 52 (402 views)
Shortcut
I really want to like Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

As with the rest, I love his design, the characterization is clever and he's in some funny jokes. Hell, I was even able to forgive the burping.
Unfortunatly, Adam Brown seems to be a little to "big" in his expressions. I rarely feel right about criticizing well established actors, but Brown tend to exaggerate his facial expressions and voice a bit. With all that heavy makeup an actor needs to be more extreme, but I personally think Brown overdoes it.
I hate saying this about someone who seems so sweet and kind as Adam, and I truly hope he improves in the next films.

(This post was edited by EyeRock on Jan 18 2013, 4:33pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 5:20pm

Post #13 of 52 (384 views)
Shortcut
This is very helpful [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Chronicles and Visual Guide explain that they wanted Ori, Nori, and Dori, to be "upper-class", slightly-bourgeois and sheltered dwarves, in contrast to Bifur, Bofur and Bombur who are supposed to be more working-class.

That sheds a lot of light. I didn't mind Ori at all in the sense of being annoyed or anything like that. I liked the character, I just felt that he seemed out of place - maybe that's what's being interpreted as overacting - but now that makes perfect sense in light of the information you shared. He's *supposed* to be out of place amongst the dwarves, to stick out a bit - so when he speaks or does things it's supposed to be one of those "huh?" moments.

I agree that it's better that each of the dwarves have something to differentiate them from each other - they can't *all* be tough and cool and majestic Sly.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 18 2013, 5:23pm

Post #14 of 52 (364 views)
Shortcut
For or against? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems more like a post against Ori to me! Be that as it may, I'm sure a lot of folk agree with you. I don't though. I love Ori as he is...momma's boy, monk haircut, mega burp and all. I think perhaps Adam may be a less experienced actor than the others, but everyone has to start somewhere, and this is a grand place to start! (And I loved his politeness when he asks Bilbo what to do with his plate....just like a kid.And hey, he's great with a slingshot!)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 5:33pm

Post #15 of 52 (378 views)
Shortcut
Not my favourite dwarf... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I don't find him that awful either.

He strikes me as the sort of awkward guy, who wants to hang with the cool guys but doesn't really fit in. And he gets ordered around by his brother to boot. Not a great position to be in.

But on the other hand, he is there with the other dwarves, so there must be something more to him... I'm hoping for some more character development in the next movie...

mutelock
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 5:41pm

Post #16 of 52 (368 views)
Shortcut
I second that [In reply to] Can't Post

Geek is the new sexy Tongue

Rane
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 5:47pm

Post #17 of 52 (356 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind him either [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 18 2013, 6:01pm

Post #18 of 52 (348 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. By far my least favourite character in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion, I don't know how people can link Radagast to Jar-Jar when this chap was the main culprit of Binks behaviour.

All the other characters people have problems with (Raddy, Goblin King and Azog) I think are brilliant, but this chap was just so out of place. Aside from his height, there was nothing remotely Dwarvish about him-it was as if Dad's Army's Private Pike had been reincarnated into a Dwarf!

The burping was terrible (thank god there wasn't much more Dwarf humour). I understand that not every Dwarf can be as imposing as Dwalin, but I think this character was a real waste of an opportunity-a much better version of Ori could have been in his place (surely they had hundreds of different drawings/ideas to choose from). Or at least Bombur could have had a line in exchange for Ori losing one or two of his lines (I know he only had a few lines, but even they were far too many!)

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 6:43pm

Post #19 of 52 (342 views)
Shortcut
Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

and each of the twelve other Dwarves hold a special place in my heart. Their design was a daring and brilliant move on the part of Peter Jackson and Weta.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 7:35pm

Post #20 of 52 (329 views)
Shortcut
Please allow me to repeat myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

My problem with Ori is that he often reminds me of someone else, so my brain sees things like this:

PARTY ON, DWARVES!!!

He's just sooo Garth sometimes, trying so hard to be kewl.
=)

I do like seeing all the knitwear, though.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 7:44pm

Post #21 of 52 (321 views)
Shortcut
I understand that he's supposed to be that way... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that doesn't excuse how poorly it was executed.

Just something about him rubs me the wrong way. I don't think having a dwarf who is a mommas boy was a good idea for a character. He seriously acts like a 5 year old. It's just blatantly immature.

And as someone else said, it's immediately apparent that Bilbo has 10 times more guts than Ori. If I was Thorin, I certainly would have told Ori to just stay in Bag End. I don't think turning some of the dwarves into walking jokes was a good idea. PJ could have characterized respectable dwarves, while at the same time, gave them some comical things to do on the side. It would really make you root for them more.

Look at Balin, He was executed perfectly. He's obviously someone you take seriously, but he's whimsical and has a light heart. I get that every Dwarf can't be the same, but they should have taken the Balin route with a few more of them.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 8:02pm

Post #22 of 52 (317 views)
Shortcut
Lol! I have a similar problem with Bombur [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I see him, I can't help thinking of 'Sharon' from Kath & Kim. Crazy

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 8:13pm

Post #23 of 52 (303 views)
Shortcut
Seen a different movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And as someone else said, it's immediately apparent that Bilbo has 10 times more guts than Ori.

Is he avoiding combat? No.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 8:26pm

Post #24 of 52 (287 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo was being strategic... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least that's my excuse. Cool I just hate Ori and want him to go away.

Nienna
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 8:32pm

Post #25 of 52 (277 views)
Shortcut
A metamorphosis do you think? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't warm to him like I thought I would (and I didn't think that burp was necessary), but I'm wondering if his character will evolve over the next two movies.

Because of his childlike behaviour in the first movie, we'll be able to look back and see how he has matured over the three movies because of what he has gone through.

I hope I'm 'not just hoping' because I thought his character had so much potential!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.