Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
T.G.I.F. - Thank Goodness it's Fiesta!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:08pm

Post #1 of 79 (232 views)
Shortcut
T.G.I.F. - Thank Goodness it's Fiesta!! Can't Post

Yippie, we all made it through yet another week, so it's time to have a nice virtual libation, a few virtual appetizers and chat about the meaning of life - or just what your plans are for the weekend, lol. Laugh

The cold weather has moved on, and it's going to get into the low 50s here for the weekend, so we're planning to do something outdoors - maybe a walk or a hike. How about you? Inquiring minds want to know!

*puts quarters on juke box* I'm all out of musical inspiration today after a long week of straining my brain (not too difficult to do Laugh), so play something that will inspire me!

Have a great weekend, everyone! HeartCoolSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 5:13pm

Post #2 of 79 (85 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I wasn't here last week-- home internet connection being down + other family member using the smartphone + unusually busy day kinda interfered, LOL. But everything's back to normal now, so here I am, as usual! :)

...Speaking of Usuals, I'll have a Fall/Winter one, please, Altaira :) -- thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:19pm

Post #3 of 79 (77 views)
Shortcut
Miruvor and hot chocolate, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Argh! Internet and computer issues are the worst. With our previous provider (emphasis on 'good riddance' lol) we used to lose our internet regularly. They'd have to send someone out to the router in our neighborhood to physically reboot it - they blamed it on poor little innocent spiders and/or squirrels. Laugh

May your internet connection be critter-free, and problem free, for a good long time, Evey! Smile

Happy weekend!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:21pm

Post #4 of 79 (93 views)
Shortcut
Hellooo Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

and all. I hope you are all well and daniel is off safely on his adventure. May we all get outdoors on little adventures of our own.

A bit here to relate, I volunteered last Saturday to help clear a bad blow-down (of trees) still left from SANDY at a multi-denominational church’s summer camp in western jersey on last saturday. It was very bad the damage. It was cutting lengths to hand-throw (2 person throw) into stacked piles ALL OVER the place. Plus there were huge piles of brush to make. There were 13 of us and we worked like crazed dogs..or furious hobbits. It made me sick all the beautiful trees (mainly pines and ashes) that fell like ‘Pickup Sticks’ on a slope down to the little lake

There was, and still is, so much to do. It got to the point the owner gave me his big 28inch chain saw and i went to work on the biggest downed trees (up to 48inch in diameter) because i had the most chain saw experience and i just kept at it. Never operated one of that size and i'll just say it did not get any lighter as the time went by.

I did little the next day but go to my John Shelby Spong lecture at St. Peters for an hour at 10AM last Sunday, again about understanding the prophets. The week before I did also but I approached his wife Christine who is a very lovely person. I asked her that I’d like, if it was all right not wanting to put anyone on the spot, if I may the following week get a picture with Jack (everyone calls him that). She said that it would be just fine.

So that is what I did this last Sunday. This first shot (I grabbed someone out of the audience to work the camera) is me telling him I have never had a desire to have my picture taken with anyone such as sports figures, movie stars or politicians. He said in his humility “Everyone has someone they want to have a picture with one day” All I could say back was, “Yes, and you’re it.” He laughed
This 2nd shot is I think a wonderful shot, although I still look wrecked from the toll of the previous days work.

The other thing of note is that young sil participated in the frosh-soph county championships this week, and had a stellar race. He is the 3rd fastest sophomore in the county in the 1600M with a PR time of 4:49.4.

Here is a blurry shot (best shot out of 30) of him approaching the finish line (my two camaras are hopeless indoors). Here is another that is 'interesting'

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 5:22pm

Post #5 of 79 (96 views)
Shortcut
Good morning, everybody! I should very much like a cup of strong coffee. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice and quiet here, as none of the children has woken up yet; but things will no doubt get noisier shortly. How's all with you these days, Altaira?

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 5:23pm

Post #6 of 79 (74 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Altaira! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:25pm

Post #7 of 79 (77 views)
Shortcut
Hello Evie [In reply to] Can't Post

These internet/cable lines are such a bother. Strange things keep happening to them. So how was your week?
Good to see you:).

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:29pm

Post #8 of 79 (83 views)
Shortcut
And it's a looong weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

Monday off! Smile Might I have a mocha coffee, please, Altaira? It's still a bit below freezing here today, not supposed to get above -5 C. Has all your snow melted?

*starts the Brandenburg Concertos playing* There, that's something a bit different! Laugh A little upbeat classical music. I've got meetings and a bit of work to do this weekend, and I was hoping to see The Hobbit with an old friend, but I'm having a difficult time finding theaters it's still in - or at a good time for us, where it is playing! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:29pm

Post #9 of 79 (76 views)
Shortcut
That all sounds awesome, sil [In reply to] Can't Post

..especially the lecture and getting your picture taken. I'm sure you'll cherish it for a long time. Smile

Wow, that clean-up sounds like hard work! I hope whatever you do outdoors this weekend is more relaxing. Have a good one!

*rubs back of head where pony-tail is sore* Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:30pm

Post #10 of 79 (73 views)
Shortcut
But you're here today! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, Evey! So...how many times have you seen the Hobbit so far? Wink

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 5:31pm

Post #11 of 79 (79 views)
Shortcut
Hey there, sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, hopefully it's all set now, LOL. :) And thanks, my week was great! :) Hope you and your family are doing well, too!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 5:36pm

Post #12 of 79 (74 views)
Shortcut
Hi dernwyn! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha, only twice, sadly enough (thanks to the aforementioned busyness :P ). Though the second one was on my Birthday, so that was certainly a good day. :) But yeah, I definitely still want to see it more (I seriously love this movie! :D ).

Hope you have a great weekend, dernwyn!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

(This post was edited by Eventides on Jan 18 2013, 5:36pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:37pm

Post #13 of 79 (88 views)
Shortcut
Well, hello there Mr. S from NZ! [In reply to] Can't Post

How lovely to see you here for Fiesta and to have both you and your lovely better half frequenting our halls again! HeartSmile

BG and I are doing well - just now getting over the 3-4-5 week crud that was going around. We've only seen The Hobbit twice *gasp* so we're definitely going to fix that this weekend.

Take care and hug everyone there for me!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:39pm

Post #14 of 79 (77 views)
Shortcut
Movies tend to skip off [In reply to] Can't Post

too soon these days. Even with the multiplex cinemas.

I almost did not get to see The Life of Pi new years eve.

I will try and find a Brandenburg Concerto on the U-tubery.

Have fun at the threatre d if you can. Good luck!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:40pm

Post #15 of 79 (73 views)
Shortcut
Hey there, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

It *just* warmed up a day or two ago, so we still have a bit of snow on the ground. Hey, if it makes the grass and trees happy, then I'm happy.

Good luck finding a Hobbit showing. It's still showing in both 2-D and HFR 3-D around here, so we're going with friends tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #16 of 79 (76 views)
Shortcut
Now that's exercise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good grief, that's an awful big piece of equipment to be working with for so long! Shocked Do you know what they plan to do with the wood?

(Will take a look at the pics when I'm home and photobucket's not blocked! Tongue)

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Post #17 of 79 (89 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit-ing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Altaira!

Enjoy the warm weather!

This weekend, I am seeing an old and very dear friend, who lives far away and whom I haven't seen in an age. Back in the day, we camped out for the premiere of *The Two Towers* together. In honor of that, we'll go see *The Hobbit* together tomorrow. She's the only person with whom I will have seen an LOTR film and the Hobbit movie in the theater, since I didn't make it back to my family for Christmas this year. It'll be my 4th time seeing *The Hobbit* on the big screen, and probably the last, at least until it's back in theaters at some other point.

Happy weekend and happy week to all!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:42pm

Post #18 of 79 (77 views)
Shortcut
The joy of an early morning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kids that age do like to wake up early - just wait until they reach their teenage years, though! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:43pm

Post #19 of 79 (70 views)
Shortcut
What a great way [In reply to] Can't Post

to spend time with an old friend! Smile

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 5:43pm

Post #20 of 79 (75 views)
Shortcut
it's amazing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sil! It's amazing to realize just how much damage still remains from Sandy, and how much work needs to be done. I'm glad you were able to help!

Glad too that you weren't shy about getting your photo op with one of your heroes when you had the chance! Smile

Have a great weekend!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:44pm

Post #21 of 79 (73 views)
Shortcut
Warm Hug [In reply to] Can't Post

[[[squooch]]]Laugh to counter affects of sore pony-tail.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 5:46pm

Post #22 of 79 (70 views)
Shortcut
It's getting harder, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Dernwyn!

It's getting more challenging to find theaters still playing the Hobbit at a good time, in one's desired format, isn't it? It's taken some planning to find a good time to see it in 2D with my friend who is visiting this weekend.

Hope you get to see it! And enjoy your happy classical music! This is a good time of year for it. Not that there's ever a bad time, but it helps fight the winter blahs for me.

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 5:46pm

Post #23 of 79 (75 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that [In reply to] Can't Post

you're both well. Seeing the Hobbit has encouraged us both to hang out here some more; and I'm in the process of wrapping up a major project (i.e. a: book), so I'm starting to have a bit more time. Besides, two children are already in school. Have fun at your third viewing!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 5:47pm

Post #24 of 79 (72 views)
Shortcut
Nice, HappyHobbitess! [In reply to] Can't Post

How wonderful that you and your friend can find time to see each other *and* do something you both enjoy! I hope you have a nice reunion. Smile

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 5:50pm

Post #25 of 79 (80 views)
Shortcut
*chainsaw envy* [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
Hi, sil!
I think you should get that second "whoosh" photo framed up as a piece of abstract art. I love the blurriness of the background, as well as all the arms and legs! There is a real motion to it.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.