Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
will we ever get tatty,maggot,old man willow, bombadil, merry arriving on a cart?

Jan 17 2013, 10:49pm

Post #1 of 7 (821 views)
will we ever get tatty,maggot,old man willow, bombadil, merry arriving on a cart? Can't Post

One of my favourite parts of the books is the section from bagend to bree.

remember only pip sam and frodo encountered the black rider on the path? the hide out at tattys (the 10th member of the fellowship?) maggot not being afraid of the black rider? merry in the fog? old forest?

i adore this section of the books, seems to take an age to get to bree, and it reminds me of lazy summer walks through the country..

do you think well ever see these parts dramatised?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Jan 18 2013, 1:18am

Post #2 of 7 (374 views)
No....//// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ziggy Stardust

Jan 18 2013, 1:28am

Post #3 of 7 (373 views)
Tatty [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean Fatty? As in Fredegar Fatty Bolger?
I would've liked to have seen him and the others. Unfortunately I think Bomby's got it right. We might never
see them dramatized.
I at least would've liked to see Fatty, since he is, kind of the tenth member. Wasn' t he supposed to go with them, but decided to stay because they (Merry, Pippin and Frodo) needed someone in Crickhollow?

Jan 18 2013, 1:40am

Post #4 of 7 (372 views)
yeah i meant fatty [In reply to] Can't Post

ha for some reason i have tatty in my head when i think of bolger, must be from something else!

yeah he is a real hero, well he doesnt go on the journey becuase he was afraid of the old forest, but decided instead to fool the blackriders into thinking frodo was living in the new house, very brave, imagine if he had gone with them!

he is one of the gang , him frodo sam merry and pip. i think pip marries his sister!

Jan 18 2013, 4:17pm

Post #5 of 7 (345 views)
Between my own imagination and the Mind's Eye radio dramatization... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can very well imagine what it would be like to cover the conspiracy and the flight to Bree as Tolkien related it. What I miss most from these sequences being left out of Jackson's version is the elaborate preparations that Frodo and his companions made as well as their encounter with the Barrow-wight. Unfortunately, the stop-over at Bombadil's house would have probably dragged on film. Of course, if Bombadil is skipped then we need an alternate ending to the Barrow-downs sequence (perhaps an alternate introduction of Strider as the one who rescues the hobbits from the wight).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 18 2013, 4:27pm)

Jan 18 2013, 4:24pm

Post #6 of 7 (356 views)
book 1 film 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

if book 1 of fotr was made into a film ,that would be epic! you could really get into the workings of hobbit culture and the plan frodo and the gang make to decieve everyoneof his 'retirement'

bombadil would be perfect for a rest in the film, and we would finnaly get to see merry get his barrowblade which eventually disables the witch king!

what a great ending and cliff hanger aswell!!

the whole of book 1 is one big chase! against the odds!

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Jan 18 2013, 4:27pm)

Jan 21 2013, 6:28am

Post #7 of 7 (563 views)
Ah, the Mind's Eye version! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Jolly Green giant voice for Treebeard notwithstanding, amongst other things, it does have its moments! I agree it does give you a window on how some of the scenes Jackson omitted could have been dramatized.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.