Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Roac: Yes or no?

Radagast_The_Cool
The Shire

Jan 18 2013, 3:43pm

Post #1 of 19 (768 views)
Shortcut
Roac: Yes or no? Can't Post

Would you like to see Roac in either the next two films? And do you think he will be included? If yes, how will he be used?

I would love to see him and I think that maybe they would use him not only to send word to Dain but also tell Bard about Smaug....maybe? Eliminating the over complication of men who speak thrush to casual watches. Maybe also communicate with one of dwarfs, Oin probably since he loves them so, but silently, like radagast does with the thrush. Thoughts? Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 18 2013, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 19 (373 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Yes! Yes, Please! [In reply to] Can't Post

crawc

Are you trying to shut up the Raven? They talk, you know. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXU7o0fYII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9KTw07Ax0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGeOpjxx2ho

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Radagast_The_Cool
The Shire

Jan 18 2013, 3:59pm

Post #3 of 19 (331 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

All corvids are very intelligent, as I'm sure you know Magpie Wink.

Would love to see that converstion with Oin!

Roac: "HI!"
Oin: "What?"
Oin: "Can't hear you"
Oin: "I CAN'T HEAR!"
Oin: "Stupid Thrush"

Tongue

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 4:24pm

Post #4 of 19 (341 views)
Shortcut
Yes, to Roc! [In reply to] Can't Post

And to the thrush as well. And, no, I don't want to see the two roles combined. The thrush is already introduced at the end of AUJ, a seemingly ordinary bird but with more about him than might be guessed. We will certainly see more of him in DoS--possibly in TaBA, depending on where the second film ends.

Roc and his kin need not be introduced until TaBA. And, yes, the ravens should speak.

Note to Radagast_The_Cool: Why do you imagine that Oin couldn't tell the difference between a thrush and a raven?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 18 2013, 4:34pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 4:57pm

Post #5 of 19 (299 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely - yes please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Roac and the thrush, each playing his own part in the story.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 5:10pm

Post #6 of 19 (311 views)
Shortcut
Because in the movie, he can't! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Dialogue from the scene atop the Carrock...

Oin: A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain.
Gandalf: That, my dear Oin, is a thrush.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:13pm

Post #7 of 19 (292 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe movie-Oin is a bit near-sighted.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 19 (280 views)
Shortcut
Probably an issue of his poor hearing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe movie-Oin is a bit near-sighted.

You could potentially mix raven and trush with each other from distance, since it would be hard to tell its size, but you couldn't mistake the sounds the two make for each other in million years.On, ofcourse couldn't hear any of its singing.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 5:28pm

Post #9 of 19 (288 views)
Shortcut
unequivocal -yes- for me. He's a great character and great inclusion IMO // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Rane
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 5:50pm

Post #10 of 19 (270 views)
Shortcut
Quoth the raven [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope PJ knows they can talk (or mimic at least). It shouldn't be that unrealistic...Oh heck, there's a frigging dragon in the movie!

Photobucket

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 6:13pm

Post #11 of 19 (254 views)
Shortcut
It all depends how well it will convert to screen. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope PJ knows they can talk (or mimic at least). It shouldn't be that unrealistic...Oh heck, there's a frigging dragon in the movie!

There needs to be foreshadowing about talking ravens, at the very least, to avoid unintentional comedy from an unexpectedly talking animal. At least there's a pretty good sense of what a talking raven should sound like, unlike with the eagles; they actually sound a lot more raspy in fiction than they do when they speak in real life, but a talking raven that sounds like a bad voice synthesiser as the real ones do wouldn't work on screen.

Overall, I think that it can be made to work and it would certainly be cool. But what I'm really curious about is how they'll handle the trush talking to Bard.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 6:35pm

Post #12 of 19 (260 views)
Shortcut
Ravens speak [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why do you imagine that Oin couldn't tell the difference between a thrush and a raven?"

Peter wanted to identify the bird in the next shot to keep down confusion for the audience.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

aarondirebear
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 11:35pm

Post #13 of 19 (188 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep him in and let him talk; its a fantasy world for frith sakes.
And keep in the part about some men being able to speak Thrush
All it takes is one line of dialog to explain it.

"Others are inclined to say that any two stories that are built round the same folk-lore motive, or are made up of a generally similar combination of such motives, are "the same stories." Statements of that kind are not true, they are not true in art or literature. It is precisely the colouring, the atmosphere, the unclassifiable individual details of a story, and above all the general purport that informs with life the undissected bones of the plot, that really count." J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by aarondirebear on Jan 18 2013, 11:37pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2013, 6:42am

Post #14 of 19 (156 views)
Shortcut
raaaaaaven [In reply to] Can't Post

Bernd Heinrich, in Mind of the Raven (or perhaps, it was Ravens in Winter), tells a few tales of not only his own ravens (in his hundred acre research wood in Vermont) but wild ones.

There was the park where some sort of demolition/construction was going on. Weeks after they had stopped blowing things up, you could walk in the woods and hear "five, four, three, two, one...(realistic explosion sound)". Ravens. Perfect mimics.

Others have mimicked the sounds of toilets flushing, Harleys revving, and, of course, dialog.

They are also smart enough to alert wolves (or Native hunters on Baffin Island) to the presence of potential prey, lead the hunters to it, then share in the kill.

They have been observed carrying off a treasure trove of crackers by stacking them carefully and carrying the stack in their beaks. They've also been seen carrying multiple donuts by sticking their beaks through the hole of one and grabbing the second. A twoferone deal.

Mere crows have been proven to be able to recognize specific human faces. And drop nuts in the path of cars to use the tires as nutcrackers.

Get the books, they're fascinating.

Yeah, so we better have ravens. Talking ravens.

Go outside and play...

imin
Valinor

Jan 19 2013, 11:49am

Post #15 of 19 (131 views)
Shortcut
i would like to see it happen [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it probably will, it will just depend on how well they can pull it off.

emre43
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 12:55pm

Post #16 of 19 (151 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind them being involved... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as long as they don't speak.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 11:46pm

Post #17 of 19 (110 views)
Shortcut
I've seen Roac [In reply to] Can't Post

He hangs around our local Peets Coffee stealing from the trash bin and squawking at customers. He didn't mention he was in the film, however.

Rane
Bree

Jan 20 2013, 3:37am

Post #18 of 19 (104 views)
Shortcut
But he spoke in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

emre43
Lorien

Jan 20 2013, 9:18am

Post #19 of 19 (155 views)
Shortcut
I know he did. [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't fit though IMO. Tolkien wanted to rewrite The Hobbit anyway to give it more of an LOTR feel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.