Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If We Only Had One DVD/Blu-Ray Release People Wouldn't Commit Piracy
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MartyB
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 2:52pm

Post #1 of 28 (913 views)
Shortcut
If We Only Had One DVD/Blu-Ray Release People Wouldn't Commit Piracy Can't Post

I know people who have downloaded the DVD Screener, simply because they don't want to pay for the DVD/Blu-Ray twice, but because we are sold the DVD, then six months later we get the 'Extended Edition' people want to have something to tide them over until the 'proper release'.

What's your opinion on this? if you buy the EE in the long run, but download the screener until it's released are you really doing anything much worse than the film studios which are obviously just cashing in?

(This post was edited by MartyB on Jan 18 2013, 2:52pm)

deskp
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 3:03pm

Post #2 of 28 (481 views)
Shortcut
people will always pirate. [In reply to] Can't Post

The currently available screener isn't what yo should be talking about cause its not dvd quality. the proper screeners will arrive with the dvd/bluray release.

But yes I don't think alot of people are keen on buying the gimped theatrical version when they know they are gonna be buying the EE.

I doubt it will be a big problem for sales. If they have enought good bonus material people might want to buy aswell.

cashing is is not worse than stealing...........

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 3:32pm

Post #3 of 28 (439 views)
Shortcut
So what would you have them do? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one should be happy that we get an EE instead of accusing them of cashing in.

The standard edition is cheap and for those that don't care about the specials and longer cut and the EE is for the fans.

If you can't wait that's really your problem. I imagine it takes some time to make the EE.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 18 2013, 3:46pm

Post #4 of 28 (479 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't have to buy both. Why in the world is offering two versions an excuse for theft of either?

Why is offering more than one version an issue? I liked the extended scenes in the LOTR movies but the theatrical versions were the ones I fell in love with so I liked having both options. I sometimes like listening to the hour long CDs because they are like 'the best of' the music. But I like having the Complete Recordings because they have the quiet moments or the odd moments that might not make it on the 'best of' version. But you don't like having choices. Or you don't like waiting for the most developed one to come along. Or something. So you want to eliminate choices? Or you want all versions to be delayed until they're all done? Whatever you want, you want to limit my choices, it seems.

Some people will pirate material and then buy it. But most people pirate material because they can and they would rather save their money for things they can't steal: like super sized over sugared coffee drinks... or their cell phone 4G plans... or high speed cable internet connections...

Life is full of choices. You make money through gainful employment, hopefully contributing to society in some way. You spend the money you make wisely by budgeting. If you don't have enough... you make more... or you spend less.

This notion that we must have what we want when we want it at any costs including theft is beyond mindboggling to me. It's outrageous. To make excuses like, 'They're making me wait... I want it now... it's all their fault' is just ridiculous.

That's my opinion. You asked.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 4:19pm

Post #5 of 28 (426 views)
Shortcut
The United States Congress should read this post. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well said, Magpie. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 4:30pm

Post #6 of 28 (399 views)
Shortcut
Lots of reasons to pirate [In reply to] Can't Post

-Some people do it to save money
-Some people do it out of convenience, i.e. they don't want to drive to the store
-Some people do it for the challenge
-Some people do it because they hate big companies
-Some people do it because they didn't want the film to begin with, i.e. just wanted to see one scene or someone else wanted it

And so on. One release won't fix a thing. They make more money releasing multiple versions, they will continue to do it that way. Pirates will be pirates, until pirating is more difficult than it is now. I went to a friends and I asked if he owned a movie, he said "no, but i can get it". Literally 15 min later he had a good quality film completely downloaded, convenient and free. I personally wouldn't gamble like that in fear that I'll be one of the ones caught and made an example of, but there are plenty of people out there that do it for the reasons I listed and more.

Ref
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 4:50pm

Post #7 of 28 (403 views)
Shortcut
RE: Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I concur with Magpie. I do find it ludicrous when people moan that they have no money and yet you see the gadgets and gizmos that they own.

Also most, if not, all films look absolutely stunning at the cinema. So why limit your viewing opportunities and watch a crappy quality download, when you can watch it in all its glory on a huge screen?!

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 6:22pm

Post #8 of 28 (365 views)
Shortcut
what is a dvd screener? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who made this copy and how???

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 6:25pm

Post #9 of 28 (331 views)
Shortcut
thanks for that post! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 7:22pm

Post #10 of 28 (318 views)
Shortcut
Amen! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 7:22pm

Post #11 of 28 (347 views)
Shortcut
Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) [In reply to] Can't Post

get DVD copies of all the movies under consideration for an Oscar nomination. It's just not possible for them to see all the movies in the theaters, so they get them on DVD. These DVD screeners are NOT supposed to be shared, because many of the movies, like The Hobbit, are still in theaters.

The screeners always get leaked, even though the person could get kicked out of the Academy. The Hobbit movie was leaked.

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 7:42pm

Post #12 of 28 (343 views)
Shortcut
Pardon me but [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont the movie companies imbed their 'screeners" with an individual code that can be seen through some means ( i forgot how they can do it but they can). if so , it would be pretty easy to find the culpret who shelled it out.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 8:01pm

Post #13 of 28 (291 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Piracy is here to stay. I think it's impact on sales is very very small though.

I have the screener, but I've seen the film 4 times in theatres. They definitely have my moneys worth. And I;ll give them even more money when the blu-ray and EE is released.

If I really like something, I always get a physical copy. I download music, and if I love it, I'll go buy the vinyl the next day. I think a lot of people follow this practice. Just support the things you really enjoy.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Moahunter
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 8:36pm

Post #14 of 28 (277 views)
Shortcut
Its not just single downloads for home viewing........ [In reply to] Can't Post

but illegal copying and selling of bootleg DVDs.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 8:43pm

Post #15 of 28 (280 views)
Shortcut
I think so [In reply to] Can't Post

but maybe there's a way to remove it, or make it unreadable. I agree, it's a huge risk to take, and probably not worth it (at least to me, but I consider all pirated copies to be theft, regardless of how they were obtained).

Escapist
Gondor

Jan 18 2013, 9:06pm

Post #16 of 28 (271 views)
Shortcut
It's not right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it rates a bit differently in the dishonesty category than not ever buying a copy ever.

It's just shades of wrongness, though.

Now a bigger question might be ... what about the case where some time after the movie was released on video ... some fan made their own version of it (and you did buy the original) ... or if someone did a fan version of a part of it and released it on youtube ...

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 9:27pm

Post #17 of 28 (252 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh! [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean for instance" The Hunt For Gollum" or Born of Hope"

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 9:43pm

Post #18 of 28 (246 views)
Shortcut
I think it's ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I got pirated copies of all three LOTR movies from friends after they were done showing in the theater. But I also saw each one 5 or 6 times in the theater and bought both the theatrical and extended edition dvds when they came out. They got my money. It's another thing if you download a movie, and then you don't see it in the theater or buy the dvd.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 9:45pm

Post #19 of 28 (236 views)
Shortcut
So if I [In reply to] Can't Post

steal items from a shop I regularly spend my money in, is that okay?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 9:49pm

Post #20 of 28 (237 views)
Shortcut
That's different [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more like this: stealing something from a shop and a few months later paying for it.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 9:54pm

Post #21 of 28 (237 views)
Shortcut
It may well depend [In reply to] Can't Post

on what your definition of theft is.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 3:49am

Post #22 of 28 (175 views)
Shortcut
Well said Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am completely on the same page!

Plus the LotR theatrical release sets were completely different than the extended!

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

(This post was edited by Buchanicus on Jan 19 2013, 3:50am)

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 8:18am

Post #23 of 28 (151 views)
Shortcut
thanks. weird!? [In reply to] Can't Post

How could a member of the academy do that? And why?

Kirly
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 9:19am

Post #24 of 28 (151 views)
Shortcut
piracy is theft, it's wrong, and there's no excuse // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jan 19 2013, 9:21am

Post #25 of 28 (140 views)
Shortcut
What do you think about people who stream it but dont download it [In reply to] Can't Post

They dont own it and only can watch it that one time? It is still piracy but is it less bad than if someone downloads it first? To me downloading it is equivalent of stealing the dvd, streaming it is the equivalent of sneaking into the cinema for free.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.