Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
PJ's Smaug?

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 1:34am

Post #1 of 11 (353 views)
Shortcut
PJ's Smaug? Can't Post

Having seen "The Hobbit" a bunch of times now, I am SUPER curious what Smaug will look like in "DOS". We are shown in the first movie glances and shadows. But the scenes do show certain hints. One thing I did notice on my 5th or 6th time was when Smaug emerged in the treasure room I could make out lots of horns on top of his head, sort of like a crown. So I sketched this from that notion. I might go canvas to see how it comes out. Heres a link to a bigger view and the other Tolkien stuff i did and as always, thank you for taking a look : ) http://s773.beta.photobucket.com/...68509323337921604989

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 18 2013, 7:23am

Post #2 of 11 (235 views)
Shortcut
Could be close to what PJ has in mind [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I really doubt somehow that the dragon will be close to what anyone has imagined-that may be both good and bad (inevitably some won't like it).

Loved the Bag End mural you did when you posted about it a little while back, I'm getting to be quite a fan of your artwork. Wink

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 1:57pm

Post #3 of 11 (253 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

After looking at the outline of Smaug when rises from the gold and at the end when he awakens, I think this may look eerily similar to what PJ has done.

One question, do you recall how big the nostrils were in the last scene?

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 7:34pm

Post #4 of 11 (201 views)
Shortcut
Thanks guys ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks glad you guys like it! To answer your question, MorgolKing. The nostril cavaty is roughly the same size as his eye. Not the whole area of the eye, just the eyeball. ; )

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 7:56pm

Post #5 of 11 (211 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

This is just a sketch that I quickly did on GIMP, so if you have any input on how my take on Smaug" of the film" should be altered from your observation, PLEASE let me know here and I can tweek it. Should be FUN to see what we come up with collectively. Lets have a little fun before "The Chiefest and Greatest of Calamity of our age " is revealed : )

(This post was edited by demanon on Jan 18 2013, 8:00pm)

Tigero
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 8:48pm

Post #6 of 11 (212 views)
Shortcut
Wow i LOVE that look! [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow fits Middle-Earth perfectly, has a elven or other high-race feel to it, a diva and noble but still deadly. Not so sure about the color tho, in the Hobbit it seems to have many shades of dirty dark red black/dark brown, but i think that gold would work even better especially if you add some scales to it, that smooth color somehow looks to clean for such a nasty creature although it enchances the feel of 'nobility'.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

(This post was edited by Tigero on Jan 18 2013, 8:51pm)

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 9:01pm

Post #7 of 11 (215 views)
Shortcut
will do [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds good. I'll give your adjustments a go at it Tigero. Yours will be the first.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 19 2013, 9:26am

Post #8 of 11 (235 views)
Shortcut
Greaft stuff. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it looks similar to Bendict Cumberbatch so it's fitting.Cool

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 19 2013, 8:20pm

Post #9 of 11 (193 views)
Shortcut
Requested revisions [In reply to] Can't Post

Tigero suggested showing of more scales and darker hues. Along with that i gave him some more coins and jewles for his underneath. Thanks Tigero for the suggestions. anyone else have any? I'd be glad to impliment them in the sketch http://s773.beta.photobucket.com/...53609017283161676062

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 3:05pm

Post #10 of 11 (209 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done. I really will not be surprised if this is eerily close to what PJ's Smaug looks like given the scenes in AUJ we've seen with Samug.

I think he'll be more dark red from what we see at the very end of AUJ.

Nice work!

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 6:30pm

Post #11 of 11 (204 views)
Shortcut
More dark red coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.