Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Dwarves' Age in Human Years

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 10:08am

Views: 3353
Shortcut
The Dwarves' Age in Human Years Can't Post

I tried searching for a thread like this but didn't find one (probably due to my lack of forum-searching skills), so apologies if this has already been discussed.

From "Durin's Folk" from the Appendices of ROTK, we get the Longbeards' family tree which gives the birth/death years of dwarves.

So I thought it would be interesting to see how old the dwarves were when the Hobbit-related major events occurred (in human years). For age conversion I used this formula:
http://axebow.lcwsites.net/...comparativeages.html

Thanks to the author of the page!

Here goes:
Sack of Erebor
Thorin 24 (= 12 in human years)
Balin 7 (=3.5)
Dain 3 (=1.5)
The rest are not yet born at this point.

End of the War of of the Dwarves and Orcs
*Azog slain by Dain
Thorin 53 (=23)
Balin 36 (=18)
Dain 32 (=16)
Dwalin 27 (=13.5)
Oin 25 (=12.5)
Gloin 16 (=8)

Quest for Erebor
Thorin 195 (=57)
Balin 178 (=53)
Dain 174 (=52)
Dwalin 169 (=51)
Oin 167 (=50)
Gloin 158 (=48)
The others -- around 130 (=41)
Fili 82 (=30)
Kili 77 (=29)
[Gimli 62 (=25)]

So what this means:
- Thorin might be the only one who actually remembers the sack of Erebor.
- The 'older generation' of the dwarves were still quite young-ish during the War of the Dwarves and Orcs
- In the movie version, Thorin's age has been greatly reduced and it is apparent he is much younger than Balin and the rest of the dwarves from that generation
- Technically, Gimli isn't 'too young' to join the quest, but maybe Gloin just wants to keep his son safe (?)
- Fili's and Kili's looks in the movies seem right for their age

Of course, these observations can be way off, as we have no idea of knowing how exactly dwarves 'come of age' or what is considered 'mature' in their culture. After all, Hobbits come of age at 33, and only live to be about 100 years, so in a way we can say that they have a prolonged childhood (hence their jolly nature?). I think I read somewhere that Elves have a relatively brief childhood before they are considered adults. So maybe it is different for the dwarves. Maybe they reach physical maturity (and can join battles) at the same age as humans, but are less emotionally developed? Or maybe they need to become what is equivalent to a middle-aged human before they are considered 'mature'?

Thoughts and speculations will be greatly appreciated!

(And do let me know if my numbers are wrong!)
Blush

Subject User Time
The Dwarves' Age in Human Years Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Jan 18 2013, 10:08am
    Dwarves age and human age imin Send a private message to imin Jan 18 2013, 10:27am
        Yeah Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Jan 18 2013, 11:15am
    Really nice summary Azaghâl Send a private message to Azaghâl Jan 18 2013, 10:59am
        Good point! Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Jan 18 2013, 12:11pm
        Do dwarves get tougher as they age imin Send a private message to imin Jan 18 2013, 12:39pm
            From HoMe XII: The Peoples of Middle-earth Rane Send a private message to Rane Jan 18 2013, 5:45pm
    Film age vs book age Scourge of the Stoors Send a private message to Scourge of the Stoors Jan 18 2013, 5:52pm
        I think it makes sense Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Jan 19 2013, 2:54am
    Re Retro315 Send a private message to Retro315 Jan 19 2013, 5:02pm
    Age of Balin v Thorin Lacri Send a private message to Lacri Jan 28 2013, 7:46pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.