The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
No 3-D?? :(

Squirre
The Shire

Dec 3 2007, 5:16am

Post #1 of 10 (968 views)
Shortcut
No 3-D?? :( Can't Post

Did you guys see pn the main page that there is not going to be a 3-D version of the Hobbit???

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Dec 3 2007, 12:43pm

Post #2 of 10 (812 views)
Shortcut
Welll...that's not exactly what was denied [In reply to] Can't Post

What was denied is that there is no deal to make a 3D Hobbit yet.

That doesn't mean there won't be a deal, it just means that nothing has been decided upon and signed on yet.

There is still hope!

Until The Hobbit production issues are resolved, boycottnewline.com

Yechidah
The Shire

Dec 3 2007, 7:45pm

Post #3 of 10 (785 views)
Shortcut
To be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, I hope they don't do 3D, as I'd be afraid they'd spend more time on that than on the other more important elements. Also, we can't really watch it in 3D at home, so it would be a lot of effort for so little reward, I feel. I'm honestly not sure 3D has what it takes to work properly in this field.

Y.

Gnothi Seauton

_V_
Lorien

Dec 4 2007, 1:01am

Post #4 of 10 (764 views)
Shortcut
no 3D is good [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want a 3D version of The Hobbit I want LIVE ACTION

If it's a CGI Gandalf voiced by Ian McKellan....that is NOT "Ian's Gandalf" to me.

It seems like they're only considering it due to legal time constraints in rebuilding sets, which is ridiculous

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2007, 1:15am

Post #5 of 10 (766 views)
Shortcut
Why can't a 3-D movie be live action? [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of people seem to be under a misconception. 3-D doesn't mean computer generated imagery. It just means if you put on special glasses you can see the depth of images as well as the height and width. The images you see can be computer generated like Gollum or they could also be normal humans like Gandalf (Ian McKellen).

If you saw the latest Harry Potter movie in one of the specially equipped theaters the end was three dimensional. They were all live actors on screen, though. From what I hear, Beowulf is a 3-D film, too; but the characters in that movie are computer generated.

One doesn't necessarily go in hand with the other.

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

(This post was edited by Galadriel on Dec 4 2007, 1:16am)

Patty
Immortal

Dec 4 2007, 1:20am

Post #6 of 10 (755 views)
Shortcut
Exactly, Tex... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'ld love to see a 3D Hobbit and LotR.

Is it snowing down there yet?Sly

For Gondor!

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2007, 1:44am

Post #7 of 10 (756 views)
Shortcut
Too bad we can't all go together. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen any snow, but they got some in the suburb of Irving during the Cowboys game at Thanksgiving. I heard they got some in Fort Worth and other western parts of the DFW area then, too. I love snow and hope we get some this year. (I know you'd gladly give me yours.) We actually had snow five times last year (mostly flurries). It's cold, though. We just had gas logs installed in our fireplace a couple of weeks ago, and I'm warming my feet at the fire as I type this!

We're getting some good foliage right now, though. There are some beautiful reddish trees near home and work that I can't stop looking at. They make my eyes sing!

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

Grey Pilgrim

Dec 5 2007, 12:47am

Post #8 of 10 (768 views)
Shortcut
Good Link [In reply to] Can't Post

I found a great summary of what a lot of people have already been saying on here about the validity of the supposed debunking of the 3d Hobbit Rumor:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Peter-Jackson-For-Hobbit-3D-Rumor-Debunked-Sort-Of-7080.html

*Cut to Best Scene from LOTR Two Towers, right before the battle for Helm's Deep*

Goofy looking girlie kid (can't remember his name): "The men are saying that we wont make it through the night. They are saying there is no hope."

Aragorn (swinging sword and looking every bit the bad ass king he truly is): "There is ALWAYS hope."

Cool

_V_
Lorien

Dec 6 2007, 8:05pm

Post #9 of 10 (721 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of people seem to be under a misconception. 3-D doesn't mean computer generated imagery. It just means if you put on special glasses you can see the depth of images as well as the height and width. The images you see can be computer generated like Gollum or they could also be normal humans like Gandalf (Ian McKellen).

wait...are you...sure?

Eregian
The Shire

Dec 7 2007, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 10 (772 views)
Shortcut
3d is all round us [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, very sure. Harry Potter, Superman Returns, the upcoming Batman movie. All have been, or will be, partly displayed in 3d at selected Imax screens. Even silly movies like the third Spy Kids movie was available in 3d cinemas all over the place, not just in Imax's.

So, if they're planning a 3d Hobbit movie, you don't have to fear it will be completely animated. Btw, PJ has expressed his need to one day re-release the original trilogy in 3d. Which would be awesome Smile

PS: The same plans exist for the Star Wars movies. Early tests were very successful with the audience. Space clearly translates well to 3d.

Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_film

Run you pigeon's, it's Robert Frost!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.