Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Difference between soundtrack and movie for the Thorin-strides-through-flaming-trees sequence

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2013, 5:34pm

Views: 696
Shortcut
Difference between soundtrack and movie for the Thorin-strides-through-flaming-trees sequence Can't Post

(aka, Ro's been thinking again...)

Not necessarily the most pressing issue around here, but I think I've figured out why the music in the big Thorin versus Azog showdown at the end differs between the soundtrack and the movie. This seems blindingly obvious to me now (and maybe someone else has already figured it out), though I'm sure some will disagree!

Originally, The Hobbit was supposed to be two movies, and it was fairly late in the game (June or July 2012 wasn't it?) that PJ switched it to three. The original AUJ when it was the first of two movies was supposed to end just after Barrels out of Bond, right? Therefore, the "15 birds in five fir trees" scene was NOT the end of the first movie. Thus, whatever was going on with Thorin and Azog, it would not have made sense to have a climatic battle scene between them right then and there. Some fight between them, sure, maybe, but not amped up to the tension and drama that we have in AUJ now. Thus, the music should have been different: what we hear on the soundtrack was written for the scene when it was NOT the end of AUJ, and is therefore not nearly as dramatic as what we hear in the movie as Thorin charges out of the pine tree and through the flaming trees. If I'm right, the switch to three movies (and subsequent need for rewriting part of that track) happened after the cd was too close to release (or already released? sorry, I don't know the date it was out but I'm sure someone around here can enlighten me) to make any changes on it.

The upshot of this: I'm guessing the Thorin/Azog showdown at the end was written a fair bit differently when there were only supposed to be two movies. Maybe Thorin didn't get nearly killed? And maybe even Bilbo didn't come out to defend him? Because surely there wouldn't have been a big lovefest between Thorin and Bilbo once they reached the Carrock. Anyways, interesting to speculate. But however it was written originally, I for one love the Thorin-striding-through-flaming-pine-trees bit (the most dramatic 30 seconds or so in the whole movie), and am quite happy to have it in there as it is now.

Happy to hear your thoughts on this!

Subject User Time
Difference between soundtrack and movie for the Thorin-strides-through-flaming-trees sequence Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 17 2013, 5:34pm
    Erm, I thought the recording sessions didn't start until August FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Jan 17 2013, 5:36pm
    Only problem I see... Kassandros Send a private message to Kassandros Jan 17 2013, 5:38pm
        Well, there goes that theory then... Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 17 2013, 5:52pm
            Doug's blog being down, I can't find a direct quote FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Jan 17 2013, 5:59pm
                Doug Adams has said the the music in the movie was by and large exactly what Howard Shore intended. // Kassandros Send a private message to Kassandros Jan 17 2013, 6:10pm
                    Yes indeed. FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Jan 17 2013, 6:15pm
            I briefly mentioned this in another thread... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 17 2013, 6:05pm
    The issue is not that the music is more dramatic / different irodino Send a private message to irodino Jan 17 2013, 5:57pm
        It isn't a carbon copy Kassandros Send a private message to Kassandros Jan 17 2013, 6:26pm
            Very true. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 17 2013, 7:24pm
                Not buying it. hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 18 2013, 3:32am
                    This!  leniel Tindome Send a private message to  leniel Tindome Jan 18 2013, 1:38pm
                        That! hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 19 2013, 3:54am
                    Lusitano, this is exactly the kind of post I'm talking about. Kassandros Send a private message to Kassandros Jan 18 2013, 3:48pm
                        well Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jan 18 2013, 4:40pm
                            not just lazy, but odd. hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 19 2013, 3:50am
                            I just don't like it hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 19 2013, 4:02am
                        Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 19 2013, 3:49am
                        Furthermore: hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 19 2013, 3:51am
            I thoroughly enjoyed the music in the movie and am a bit at a loss at why everyone is so worked up about it. But, then again, I know a few people who liked the movie have been staying away from this forum due to all the negativity and hostility. Some of t Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jan 17 2013, 9:45pm
                I was thinking of one or more specific persons, actually. Kassandros Send a private message to Kassandros Jan 17 2013, 9:56pm
                    If you Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jan 17 2013, 10:50pm
                        Maybe hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 18 2013, 3:46am
                            If you Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jan 18 2013, 2:39pm
                    There are indeed some missing names lately... hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 18 2013, 3:40am
                        To be fair, Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 18 2013, 3:54am
    Good point...way to pick that out... MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 17 2013, 5:58pm
    again... Oscarilbo Send a private message to Oscarilbo Jan 17 2013, 6:31pm
    Perhaps it will be revealed that either Thorin or Azog is in possession of Thrain's ring of power.// Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Jan 17 2013, 6:51pm
    My own theory RalphDamiani Send a private message to RalphDamiani Jan 17 2013, 7:03pm
        You could be on to something Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jan 17 2013, 7:15pm
            Actually, that's a good point RalphDamiani Send a private message to RalphDamiani Jan 17 2013, 7:30pm
                THEMES FOR THE FORCES OF EVIL Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Jan 17 2013, 10:34pm
                    Good post! SķlimŽ Send a private message to SķlimŽ Jan 18 2013, 4:16am
        Great theory! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 17 2013, 7:32pm
            Did they music use that for Isildur? (been a while since I've seen LOTR) hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 18 2013, 3:38am
                no Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 18 2013, 4:04am
                    addition to that post Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 18 2013, 4:16am
    As far as the music goes, I don't have any idea why.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 17 2013, 7:34pm
    I don't understand Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jan 17 2013, 10:34pm
        well... the 'official' name given to the music was the Ringwraith Theme Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 18 2013, 3:02am
            I thought they were very interesting, Magpie. Kassandros Send a private message to Kassandros Jan 18 2013, 3:45pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.