The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Galadriel's phial with the light of Earendil

Greypilgrim
Bree

Jan 16 2013, 10:12pm

Post #1 of 15 (748 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel's phial with the light of Earendil Can't Post

Just realised there is a poster of Galadriel with the phial, she is holding it up. It was also one of the EMPIRE magazine Hobbit edition covers.

Does this mean she will use it in the films at some point? Maybe in the battle of Dol Guldur!!?

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 10:13pm

Post #2 of 15 (418 views)
Shortcut
Quite reasonable to assume. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been speculated on before, though it's always possible that it was filmed and cut. I think most of us expect to see it in the Dol Guldur bit.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 16 2013, 10:37pm

Post #3 of 15 (367 views)
Shortcut
I would prefer that she's use her ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't Nenya associated with light, too? I'd rather see Galadriel wielding a Ring of Power to battle, using its light to dispell Sauron's phantoms. I always interpreted the Phial as a sort of thing that Galadriel would give as a gift to others, but use a more powerful version, herself.

But if she's shown holding it in posters, we shall see...

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 11:52pm

Post #4 of 15 (315 views)
Shortcut
Yes, a portable version on her Ring, her power in a bottle for some else... but she has the Ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally forgot about that picture, and it worries me a bit.
I hope they use (and develope a bit more) the Rings of Power.
It would be nice to have a flashback at the beginning of DOS or TABA of Sauron in his good looking form learning and helping to forge the Rings... and all the cool things that could go after this idea... yeah, nice, let's say AWESOME!

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2013, 11:55pm

Post #5 of 15 (322 views)
Shortcut
They won't address the rings [In reply to] Can't Post

(i.e. go into the history of the rings)

They don't really play a role in Hobbit. And they already did it in LOTR, very cursory but still.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 17 2013, 12:02am)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 17 2013, 12:02am

Post #6 of 15 (303 views)
Shortcut
I really hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

Lessens the impact of its later employment.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 17 2013, 12:03am

Post #7 of 15 (313 views)
Shortcut
At least Thrains ring has to be mentioned! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrains Ring did play a role in "The Hobbit" although it is a really small one. It's the reason why Thrain is captured and tortured by the Necromancer in Dol Guldur. And we know from one of the vlogs and b-roll takes that Saruman is going to mention the "Seven Dwarven Rings" and "The One Ring". He says something like "Even if he got all of the remaining Seven... he needs the One".

The Rings of power won't play a big part but remember the Three, the Nine and the One appeared in LOTR but the Seven only have a brief cameo in the prologue. It would be great if they would appear in The Hobbit. Perhaps some Dwarf could just mention "magic rings of the Dwarven Lords" or something.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 12:06am

Post #8 of 15 (292 views)
Shortcut
They might mention some of that, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But i doubt they'll show us a flashback about how the rings came to be and Sauron in his good form etc.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 12:20am

Post #9 of 15 (300 views)
Shortcut
She isn't wearing Nenya in Rivendell, is she? [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, neither my friends nor I have ever spotted it, and we were looking very closely for that ring.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jan 17 2013, 12:44am

Post #10 of 15 (291 views)
Shortcut
The elven rings were never designed as weapons [In reply to] Can't Post

the phial was made at the time of LOTR for Frodo and does not simulate anything to do with the power of the ring she carries but is a physical containment of the light of Earendil's star.

Who knows what attributes the three elven rings will exhibit at Dol Guldur. Probably physical manifestations of their respective elements.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jan 17 2013, 12:45am)

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 17 2013, 12:50am

Post #11 of 15 (266 views)
Shortcut
There's some potential about that scenery. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But i doubt they'll show us a flashback about how the rings came to be and Sauron in his good form etc.

I don't think that we'd see the forging of the Rings and such, but I wouldn't consider it impossible that old Bilbo might give a short history of the dwarven Rings in the prologue of the second film, and it just might show Annatar handing one of them to Durin. PJ needs to dig up quite a lot of trivia to connect the Necromancer subplot smoothly with the rest of the story and that was one of the few times that dwarves and Sauron had canonical interactions.

At least, neither my friends nor I have ever spotted it, and we were looking very closely for that ring.

Probably not, just like Gandalf isn't shown wearing Narya for most of the LotR and The Hobbit, only wearing it visibly in the epilogue. The elven Rings are supposed to be a secret that only select few know and only people with special sight can even notice their bearers carrying them. There was a point made in the FotR, the book, how Frodo could notice Nenya on Galadriel's finger but Sam couldn't see it.

the phial was made at the time of LOTR for Frodo and does not simulate anything to do with the power of the ring she carries but is a physical containment of the light of Earendil's star.

The Phial is not technically a weapon, either. It's simply meant to light the way and dispel any evil powers that might hinder its bearer's way, like the guardian statues of Cirith Ungol tried to do with Sam. It just so happened that it was also a good defensive tool against Shelob. I think that a power most suitable for Galadriel would be a light that destroys shadows and reveals the true form of things.

(This post was edited by Lightice on Jan 17 2013, 12:53am)

Plurmo
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 1:23am

Post #12 of 15 (252 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Frodo's phial was tailor made. [In reply to] Can't Post

Except for Gimli's, all Galadriel's gifts were tailor made. For example the silver belts given to Merry and Pippin had clasps like golden flowers. A nod to Glorfindel, of the House of the Golden Flower and his fight against and foresight about the fate of the Witchking. The Phial, I think, was tailored to suit the needs of Samwise (as foreseen in the Mirror of Galadriel) even though Galadriel says to Frodo that she had prepared it for him specifically.

But Galadriel could have made other phials. It was one of her many arts. I didn't see the poster, but it would make sense as long as the phial in it was not the one given to Frodo.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 9:21am

Post #13 of 15 (205 views)
Shortcut
I imagine it is farly likely we will see her using it... [In reply to] Can't Post

during the assault on Dol Guldur - probably will come into play when she is rescuing Gandalf - using it to ward off evil as she locates his body and drags him to safety?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 2:37pm

Post #14 of 15 (153 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they play a role in the Hobbit: Sauron, Galadrel at Dol Guldur, dwarven Ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say Gandalf might be seen receiving his Ring too.
They have footage of Gil-Galad during the battle at the beginning of FOTR, they should be able to show the other Ring being passed to Elrond.
There's so much potential in the Rings of Power (yeah, I know...), can I say it would be a crime if they not take advantage of them? It's not they don't have the rights, it's all in LOTR.
So, I HAVE to keep my hopes alive.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 2:00am

Post #15 of 15 (122 views)
Shortcut
I think the Three are invisible, unless the bearers want show them. (NT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.