Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How many times have you seen it already?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 8:32am

Post #26 of 55 (272 views)
Shortcut
Three [In reply to] Can't Post

Twice in 2D, once in HFR 3D, which I loved (though I can't watch ordinary 3D). Would see it again in HFR if I could, but there isn't a showing anywhere reachable.

Cynhild

Jan 16 2013, 9:10am

Post #27 of 55 (256 views)
Shortcut
Seven [In reply to] Can't Post

Six times in 3D HFR and once in 2D.

imin
Valinor

Jan 16 2013, 9:14am

Post #28 of 55 (260 views)
Shortcut
What is it about 24fps 3D is it you cannot watch? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am fortunate in that i can watch 3D (regular) with no nausea, dizziness or eye strain i dont know if this is down to me not needing glasses or just one of those things but as there is no difference to me in this respect it would be interesting to know what the difference was for you?

Also did you think the image was brighter in HFR 3D than regular 3D? I definitely did and for me thats probably the main advantage of HFR along with panning shots with lots of detail e.g Erebor and Dale.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 9:20am

Post #29 of 55 (291 views)
Shortcut
I walked out of the theatre 3 times [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to the movie in HFR the first time but walked out during the prologue sequence, when I was seeing so many changes from the book I just couldn't watch anymore so I walked out.

A friend later convinced me to give it another go but again I walked out.That time I managed to stay until Thorin came late to the party in Bag End.

Third time I endured it all the way up to the battle of azanulbizar, that is where I walked out. So many changes from Tolkien that I just find it too painful to watch. I doubt I'll even bother attempting to watch the next one and that makes me sad.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 9:33am

Post #30 of 55 (253 views)
Shortcut
24fps 3D seems to affect my eyes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...makes them feel uncomfortable. Like a mild version of the feeling you get if you cross your eyes or stare at those optical illusions where something changes if you look at them long enough, or in a particular way. It's OK for a few minutes, but longer than that and it brings on dizziness, headaches.

And the 3D itself has never looked natural to me - it looks like a clever trick which is meant to imitate real dimensions. As if someone had divided the picture artificially into a foreground, middle ground and background and the layers don't blend properly. It isn't very clear for me either.

HFR was quite different. It felt completely real - just like looking at the real world. It didn't look like a trick - everything was rounded and there was a real sense of depth there. Everything had a proper spatial relationship to everything else, moving and static, except the subtitles, which did look a bit odd floating in mid air. Oddly enough, before the film there were a couple of 3D trailers and they looked fake and blurry, so I wasn't feeling very hopeful about the film, but once The Hobbit started everything was fine. I was in Middle Earth - best way I can describe it.

I haven't tried The Hobbit in 24 fps 3D so I can't compare them. And I don't wear glasses normally.

imin
Valinor

Jan 16 2013, 9:39am

Post #31 of 55 (247 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for reply [In reply to] Can't Post

For me they essentially just gave a crisper image which was good for fast moving panning shots but not so good for the CGI.

I felt the movement of things was sped up from time to time as well, though it would just happen at random points in the film and i would be like 'oh thats weird'

Overall i think its something worthwhile and i think i will adjust to it more the next time i see a hfr film - i have seen hundreds and hundreds of films in my relatively young life so maybe that is why i didnt completely fall in love with it.

It is more likely just everyone perceives things differently, its interesting (to me) that you have such different views on 3D when its combined with HFR or not.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 16 2013, 9:55am

Post #32 of 55 (251 views)
Shortcut
I'm on 9! [In reply to] Can't Post

2D = 3
3D = 3
3D HFR = 2
IMAX = 1

imin
Valinor

Jan 16 2013, 10:32am

Post #33 of 55 (240 views)
Shortcut
Just IMAX HFR 3D to go then you have the set [In reply to] Can't Post

is that right?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 16 2013, 10:36am

Post #34 of 55 (238 views)
Shortcut
I think I would love IMAX HFR 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

IMAX by far had the best viewing experience. Unfortunately, the nearest IMAX to me is ~1 hour away, and I don't think it does HFR. Hopefully more will pop up in the next year. IMAX is the way forward! Wink

belfalas
Bree

Jan 16 2013, 10:42am

Post #35 of 55 (234 views)
Shortcut
Four [In reply to] Can't Post

and if it was still available in 3D HFR anywhere nearby I'd be seeing it again SmileHeart

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2013, 11:25am

Post #36 of 55 (231 views)
Shortcut
Four times! [In reply to] Can't Post

I intend to wait for the EE, but we'll see if I see it at the cinema again Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Pimmiko
Bree

Jan 16 2013, 11:41am

Post #37 of 55 (225 views)
Shortcut
Five and planning two more [In reply to] Can't Post

Once in 2D others HFR 3D. I find the latter so much better.
But I must confess: Every time I decide to pay extra attention to those small details, "geeky observations", but then the story takes me and I wake up and it's in the end. Maybe next time!

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 11:51am

Post #38 of 55 (231 views)
Shortcut
Just six so far for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Time and life got in the way. Still a good few weekas left for it to run I would have thought.

I've seen it twice in 2D, once in 3D, once in HFR 3D and twice in IMAX 3D (one full IMAX, one digital IMAX).

Would like to have seen it another time each in HFR and IMAX but sadly Les Mis has taken my local IMAX screen and I suspect they took the HFR screen as well as it was one of the big screens.

malla
Bree

Jan 16 2013, 12:33pm

Post #39 of 55 (227 views)
Shortcut
How many times..... [In reply to] Can't Post

1 time in 2D
2 rimws in 3D
3 times in HFR 3D
+18 times in IMAX 3D
24 times

would have loved to see it more in HFR 3D, but my theater pulled it...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

on my way this morning for #25..............yahooooooooo!!!

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

Greypilgrim
Bree

Jan 16 2013, 1:44pm

Post #40 of 55 (209 views)
Shortcut
7 times [In reply to] Can't Post

3 in IMAX 3D

1 in IMAX HFR 3D

1 in HFR 3D

2 in 2D 24 FPS

Fave was IMAX 3D closely followed by IMAX HFR 3D. Loved it in 2D also!

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 16 2013, 2:28pm

Post #41 of 55 (198 views)
Shortcut
I'm on my 5ht today... [In reply to] Can't Post

saw FOTR 8 times back between 2001-2002. I think I'll never beat that.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Jan 16 2013, 2:29pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 16 2013, 3:03pm

Post #42 of 55 (203 views)
Shortcut
If [In reply to] Can't Post

you can't handle the necessary changes to adapt a book into a film then AUJ is probably not for you (nor the original film trilogy for that matter).
At least you gave them your $$$!!!

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 16 2013, 3:04pm

Post #43 of 55 (191 views)
Shortcut
4 times [In reply to] Can't Post

first time in HFR 3D, second time in 2D, third time in HFR Dolby Atmos, fourth time in IMAX 3D.
I'm planning to see it at least one more time in 2D before it leaves the cinema.

It gets better every time!!!

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 16 2013, 3:51pm

Post #44 of 55 (186 views)
Shortcut
I feel like such a slacker [In reply to] Can't Post

Just three times. Once in HFR; twice in normal rate but largest possible screen each time.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 16 2013, 4:10pm

Post #45 of 55 (177 views)
Shortcut
I've seen it twice, [In reply to] Can't Post

First time in 2-D, the second in IMAX 3-D. Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to see it in HFR--perhaps the next movie :)

I'm taking my hubby to see it tomorrow, again in 2-D as he does not like 3-D movies!

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don’t expect too much.

Flyyoufools
The Shire

Jan 16 2013, 7:23pm

Post #46 of 55 (163 views)
Shortcut
Twice [In reply to] Can't Post

First time iMax 3D and second viewing was hfr 3D. Unfortunately they pulled hfr and regular 2d, so i'll see it again on iMax 3D on friday!

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 8:03pm

Post #47 of 55 (157 views)
Shortcut
3 [In reply to] Can't Post

3D HFR x 2 (first and third)
2D x 1 (second)

That's enough for now.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 1:14am

Post #48 of 55 (144 views)
Shortcut
Three [In reply to] Can't Post

will try for one more then hope it goes to the second run theater so I can afford to go several more times.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

malla
Bree

Jan 17 2013, 3:26am

Post #49 of 55 (140 views)
Shortcut
How many times... [In reply to] Can't Post

went today...did a double feature...did # 25 and #26, both times in IMAX.

Just found out my theater is pulling IMAX on Friday. They were originally going to run The Hobbit in IMAX until next week, pulling it for Hansel and Gretel IMAX. But they decided to pull it a week earlier, for something, not sure what. I'm so upset....grrrrrrrrrr.Mad Tomorrow will be last time, at least at my regular theater, that I will be able to see it in IMAX.

(and I really need to pay more attention when I type....my typos lately have been really bad. Of course, spending time in movie theaters and not going to nail salon hasn't helped. Nails too long...Unsure is that a good excuse??? So sorry for typos.)

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 17 2013, 1:10pm

Post #50 of 55 (132 views)
Shortcut
For real? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you walked out (because too many changes to Tolkien) on the prologue of AUJ and later on because Thorin showed up late to the party, then I must ask you: How many seconds of the LOTR films did you stomach? Because AUJ is a lot more faithful to the source material than any of the LOTR films.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.