Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Movie: There... but how much back again?

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2007, 6:42pm

Post #1 of 8 (1453 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Movie: There... but how much back again? Can't Post

I was thinking earlier today about the end of The Return of the King. Without getting into debate about it, PJ eliminated The Scouring of the Shire due to time and climax issues, much to the benefit of the movie, in my opinion.

The Hobbit has a similiar "anticlimactic" chapter, if you will. Bilbo starts his trip back, buries his part of the treasure, and returns to find the Sackville-Bagginses taking over Bag End.

How do you think it will be handled? Surely he has to come back, but will the whole issue be removed? It would tie up nicely with a scene from FOTR EE, but it's really not necessary.

The problem is that the ending is not so terminant and obvious here. How do you think it will be handled? What will the last 5 minutes of the second movie be like?

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

[url"http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=44439#44439"]Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 3 2007, 4:00am

Post #2 of 8 (1280 views)
Shortcut
I suppose ... [In reply to] Can't Post

they will have to find a way to tie the Hobbit together with the LOTR prequel, which if I'm not mistaken, will be the second of the two films.
So my guess is that there's a strong possibility that some changes to the ending will be made.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2007, 5:34am

Post #3 of 8 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Back to Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

It has to have the auction and the Sackville-Bagginses in it to show the origin of that animosity we see later. I envision a montage of scenery from the journey in reverse order, including a tidbit of Yule at Beorn's house, resting in Rivendell, maybe even digging up the troll's gold. There will be voiceover about the trip and it will say something like, "The Tookish part of him was getting tired, and Bilbo only wished to be in his own arm-chair." Bilbo will be so happy to be coming home, but will arrive in the middle of the auction, to his great distress. Gandalf will help with clearing out the crowd and he and Bilbo will sit by the fire (on the floor if all the furniture is gone) and get out their pipes. Bilbo will say something about how lucky he was, and Gandalf will tell him, "You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!"
"Thank goodness!" said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar.

The End

Where's Frodo?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2007, 6:05am

Post #4 of 8 (1284 views)
Shortcut
I think it depends on the tone of the film [In reply to] Can't Post

If the film keeps the simpler tone of the book, the Sackville-Bagginses and the auction would fit in just fine. But I have a feeling that almost any director, including PJ, will make the Battle of 5 Armies quite dark and epic. A long, funny ending just can't survive after that and it would have to be cut down to a simpler homecoming. I'd like to see the auction stay if there's a way, but I understand why it might be cut.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 3 2007, 1:40pm

Post #5 of 8 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

they will take the lighthearted part of the ending and put it into the beginning of the second film. Which would create the same kind of atmosphere that the Fellowship of the Ring had at the beginning.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2007, 12:25am

Post #6 of 8 (1273 views)
Shortcut
Maximus... [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing is there won't be a LOTR prequel. I can almost assure you it will be an extended two-part Hobbit.

And I like you ending, Finding Frodo... it would depend on how long it would take, because I agree, the Battle of the Five Armies will be quite darker than in the book. Here come the dwarves from the Iron Hills!

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 4 2007, 2:17am

Post #7 of 8 (1234 views)
Shortcut
How will... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Battle of Five Armies be darker onscreen than written? For example, as written, we never see Beorn save the day: will that also be the case on film? If not, then isn't the book darker?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Nov. 26-Dec. 2 for "The Old Forest".

DiveTwin
Rohan

Dec 7 2007, 6:17pm

Post #8 of 8 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Linking "The Hobbit" with FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I still have this vision of using the music/song "The Road Goes Ever On" as a way to bridge the films. During Frodo's trip back to Hobbiton after the adventure is over, you could just have the music overlaying scenes of Frodo traveling back across the country to get home - in a spirit of wonder, familiarity and a warm-hearted wrapping up of the adventure he was just on. Kind of bringing you back to quiet, earthy life he lead before running off with the dwarves - but a recognition of what's he's gone through.

Or have him creating the song (using a voice-over) as he's coming back and thinking to himself as the scenery goes by. Something along those lines.

So then when you watch "FOTR" and you hear that familiar tune being hummed and sung by Gandalf as he makes his first appearance, your'll automatically attached the events in "The Hobbit" as the prelude to what happens in "FOTR" - and remind yourself that you (the audience) are in for yet another adventure.

Just seems to fit, in my opinion...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.