Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
what have you been reading?

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 5:41am

Post #1 of 12 (188 views)
Shortcut
what have you been reading? Can't Post

sorry to be a bit late, but it's still Tuesday here - barely!

I've been indulging in a little Trollope - Framley Parsonage. After the recent election it's kind of fun to read about the political shenanigans of an earlier time in another country, and how those who belonged to one party were convinced that those in the other parties were spawns of the Devil and would ruin the country if allowed power. Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose!

How about you?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2013, 6:26am

Post #2 of 12 (133 views)
Shortcut
"The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, her name really is Eowyn!

An exquisite book, set in 1920s Alaska. Gorgeous descriptions of an unfamiliar (to me) place, sympathetic characterisations, and the mysterious snow child of the title. Wistful, touching, intriguing and thought-provoking. I did guess about two-thirds through how it would end, but somehow that made it even more satisfying.

A wonderful book to read during a hot summer. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Rolfina
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 7:28am

Post #3 of 12 (103 views)
Shortcut
Pirates! In an Adventure with the Romantics [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Gideon Defoe's books. Nothing makes sense whatsoever, and the Pirate Captain is cute yet sexy. Blush

willowing
Lorien

Jan 16 2013, 8:15am

Post #4 of 12 (140 views)
Shortcut
The Warriors series [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just finished reading a book from the Warriors series by Erin Hunter.

It's called The Fourth Apprentice and is about cats.

Four clans of cats inhabiting the wooded and open spaced region surrounding a large lake on which their livelihood depends. Until a drought hits and the water in the lake has drastically diminished that the cat clans decide at a "gathering" to forget their differences and seek out the reason why the lake is running dry.

Its beautifully written, it took me a while to get use to the names like Jayfeather, Lionblaze, Bramblepaw.

Cool

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 12:29pm

Post #5 of 12 (126 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been reading Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. It's the third book in the Ender series. I love the philosophy in it. Brilliant writing.

s ofereode, isses swa mg - that has passed, so may this.

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 16 2013, 2:20pm

Post #6 of 12 (93 views)
Shortcut
Little Eruvande loves The Warriors series! [In reply to] Can't Post

He has read most of them, if not all, for his AR assignments at school. (I think "AR" stands for "advanced reading", but I'm not completely sure.) Anyway, he's a big cat lover, and these were right up his alley.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 5:32pm

Post #7 of 12 (119 views)
Shortcut
Just finished Max Allan Collins' "Bye Bye, Baby" [In reply to] Can't Post

The Nate Heller mystery revolves around the final days of Marilyn Monroe. While I'm waiting for my wife to finish the new Heller short-story colleciton, I'll get started on The Annotated Hobbit.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Advising Elf
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 8:09pm

Post #8 of 12 (103 views)
Shortcut
You're not late! I am. [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the Christmas holiday (my daughters were home from college for three+ weeks) I read "Watership Down" outloud to the family (I guess it would have been boring if I had read it 'silently' to the family).

It was the first time for Mrs. AE and Little AE. They both loved it.

Mrs. AE loved the main theme of 'leadership' that permeates the story (she is a born leader).

Little AE loved it, too, but on a different level. He paid attention closely after the "bless my bottom" story of El-ahrairah.

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Jan 17 2013, 3:24am

Post #9 of 12 (92 views)
Shortcut
Cinder by M. Meyers [In reply to] Can't Post

A pretty good sci fi retelling of Cinderella.

Misto
Lorien

Jan 17 2013, 6:56pm

Post #10 of 12 (77 views)
Shortcut
1000 endless pages [In reply to] Can't Post

Winter of the World by Ken Follet.
Honestly I do not understand what people find about this book. I'm having a really hard time with this one. It's just soooo lengthy. The prequel was about okay-ish, a bit shallow in the history department I found (but then I'm a WWI-freak) and a little too many funny coincidences but rather easy and fast to read. This one on the other hand I find extremely shallow in terms of character development, there is absolutely nothing about history in the story you haven't heard at least a million times before and the funny coincidences start to get downright ridiculous. There's still some 300odd pages to go and I'm kind of done with this book Shocked

T_Meyers
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 11:12pm

Post #11 of 12 (59 views)
Shortcut
Finally started... [In reply to] Can't Post

...reading Wool by Hugh Howey. Its cool so far.

"Welcome to Novogard Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide." - Eric Elmoor and The Gauntlet of Godric

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 4:23pm

Post #12 of 12 (84 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for filling in for me, Annael [In reply to] Can't Post

Now let's see if I remember to post the thread this coming Tuesday! I lost track of what day it was back around Christmas and just about the time I got back on track, we went off for a week's holiday. Ah well, I'll figure it out. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.