Gollum:
... Fresh sushi?

Unsure

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 11:12am

Post #2 of 37 (8102 views)
Shortcut
lol, though I think I have to beg to differ in terms of Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

they mostly eat quite stodgy fatty ordinary british food albiet with great Shire-grown produce Tongue
Also, LOL @ Gollum.

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Jan 14 2013, 11:12am)

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 11:17am

Post #3 of 37 (8062 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Ents only need water

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 4:41pm

Post #4 of 37 (7972 views)
Shortcut
LOL :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly they have those diets, well, the hobbits seem to have an affinity for standard fare.

How about the wargs? Dog-like I suppose. Anyone see them munching bones?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 4:43pm

Post #5 of 37 (7972 views)
Shortcut
Sashimi :) [In reply to] Can't Post

No rice for Gollum.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 4:59pm

Post #6 of 37 (7994 views)
Shortcut
Macrobiotic, ok. But were the Elves vegetarians? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think so, were they? In the Hobbit, for example, the elusive feasting of the Woodelves smelled of roast meats.

Were there any Elves that were depicted as vegetarians? Honest question.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Rane
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 6:37pm

Post #7 of 37 (7965 views)
Shortcut
At Rivendell in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 6:38pm

Post #8 of 37 (7946 views)
Shortcut
I think Bombadil responded [In reply to] Can't Post

to the scene in Rivendell when (I canīt remember which dwarf) couldnīt find any meat on the table and Ori stared uninspired at the "green food".
My friend sitting next to me in the cinema asked me during this scene if those elves were vegetarians. I replied that Tolkien didnīt mention if they were. My friend said "So now they are".
As a veg myself I love this idea and would rather like to feast in Rivendell than in any other place of Middle Earth. But Bag End would be good too since Bilbo had that tasty looking cheese and other stuff in his hobbit hole.
Wink

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Jan 14 2013, 6:40pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 6:41pm

Post #9 of 37 (7957 views)
Shortcut
bifurcation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
they mostly eat quite stodgy fatty ordinary british food albiet with great Shire-grown produce Tongue
Also, LOL @ Gollum.

Your tagline: I'm a victim of Bifurcation...
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

I had long ago made a game of memorizing the (rhyming sets) of Dwarf names... then I had to match them to the faces in the film...

Bifur was easy with his forehead bifurcated by an axe...

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 6:48pm

Post #10 of 37 (7965 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood Elves... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think so, were they? In the Hobbit, for example, the elusive feasting of the Woodelves smelled of roast meats.

Were there any Elves that were depicted as vegetarians? Honest question.

...rode out to hunt in Bilbo's observations when he was trapped invisibly in their caves.

I live in southcentral Pennsylvania (USA), the earliest immigrants were English, then German (the local, conservative, traditional Amish still refer to Not-Amish as "English"). "PA Dutch (Deutsch)" fare is quite Dwarvish (though we are mainly farmers)... meaty, fatty, carby, po-tay-toes, chicken, eggs, well cooked green and lima beans, sausages, ham, ham, hammity ham ham, potatoes...

My mom actually said they did not have meat every day. There were certain times of the year when you butchered steer or hogs or chickens. You did not have freezers, you had smokehouses, or canned stuff (in jars).

My cousin lives in the mirky woods of northern PA working for the forest service... he keeps a crockpot going full of whatever game he's got... his freezer is full of deer (whittetail), bear (the smaller black bear) and squirrel (grey. (legally hunted, there are definite hunting laws).

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 6:51pm

Post #11 of 37 (7944 views)
Shortcut
cheeeeeese [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a ridiculously east cheese called paneer (I think that's the Indian version), my parents called something similar "cottage cheese".

I've done it from raw goat milk (I know the goats personally)... you cook it to about 200 degrees F to pasteurize it (till it froths over the surface)... pour in about two tablespoons (per quart or so) of vinegar or lemon juice... let it curdle for a moment, then strain through cheescloth, put in pan, press... the whey (liquid) can be used as soup stock.

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 6:54pm

Post #12 of 37 (7921 views)
Shortcut
wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Certainly they have those diets, well, the hobbits seem to have an affinity for standard fare.

I was thinking sort of a cross between hyenas (which are not at all in the canine predator line) and Andrewsarchus (sounds totally like: Andy Serkis)...

Andrewsarchus may have been both a predator and a scavenger, eating things like beached whales. They stood 6' tall at the shoulder (big enough to ride), and had jaws about a meter long...

Go outside and play...

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 6:58pm

Post #13 of 37 (7911 views)
Shortcut
I know paneer. [In reply to] Can't Post

I make it too. From cow milk. When itīs hard you can cut it and also fry. One can make many tasty dishes with it.
I also make sweets from paneer.

That big cheese Bombur took and was prepared to eat by blocks didnīt look like paneer. It rather looked like cheese they make in Holland.

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Jan 14 2013, 7:05pm)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 7:31pm

Post #14 of 37 (7936 views)
Shortcut
But surely there was meat served also? [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall that scene with the green food, but I thought maybe the meal started off with more dishes than just the green stuff.

I imagined that the meat dishes ran out quickly, (b/c all the Dwarves, understandably very hungry, finished off those platters right away). Maybe Ori, being the "youngest" (per the movie) happened to be the last one to reach the food (as often happens to the runt of the litter), leaving him nothing but the veggies.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 7:33pm

Post #15 of 37 (7926 views)
Shortcut
Hi Rane! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply.

I posted my reply to the reply below yours who posted something similar. Please see what I wrote: http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 7:47pm

Post #16 of 37 (7919 views)
Shortcut
I'm quite fond of that cuisine myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it makes sense that the Mirkwood Elves would hunt for their food, although they would have to be careful to avoid the animals with bad-tasting meat I suppose. Perhaps some Elvish magic would help in that respect, especially if the animals that tasted bad were made that way as a result of the Necromancer's witchcraft.

Now, perhaps other Elves, such as Rivendell or old Eregion, might have preferred more greens in their diet? Don't know. The movie scene in Rivendell suggested possible vegetarianism as some suggested in this thread, though I thought maybe the green stuff was just one type of food that was offered, and poor Ori got stuck with it. after the other stuff ran out too quickly.

I've visited that area of PA and ate at the Plain and Fancy restaurant (perhaps you've eaten there?) and enjoyed it immensely. Very hearty and comforting.

BTW I imagine Hobbit / Shire food might be somewhat like that, in terms of the meats and carbs, except much more English.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 7:57pm

Post #17 of 37 (7924 views)
Shortcut
Apparently it wasīt. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ori was asking for chips, not the meat. It was the other dwarf. And Dwalin was throwing the salad searching for something that would be closer to his dwarf taste. I think that was the point of this funny scenes that they got something they werenīt used to and didnīt get what they liked and expected. I also think it was the intention to show the difference between Rivendell elves and dwarves. In this case in their eating habits, their taste for food and in other scene also for music. Remember Oin when elves played music. He didnīt like it.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 8:22pm

Post #18 of 37 (7901 views)
Shortcut
That does make sense. With a question, and a little idea >:-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I do seem to recall that now that you remind me. Thanks Symbelmine :-)

OK so let's say Rivendell Elves are vegetarians. Here's my question: I wonder why they in particular would be vegetarians, within the context of PJ's adaptation. I don't recall Tolkien describing Rivendell Elves as such. And we know that PJ's Rivendell Elves are capable of hunting. Plus, Mirkwood Elves are not vegetarians. So what accounts for Rivendell's choice to abstain from meats?

And here's an alternate idea: what if the Rivendell Elves aren't really vegetarians, but chose to serve the Dwarves vegetarian meal anyway, just as a little joke? (In lieu of teasing them by way of the Tra la la lally song, perhaps?)

I think that would be pretty funny! Laugh

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 8:46pm

Post #19 of 37 (7916 views)
Shortcut
Wizard fare? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf: survives by
Fastin since he is pilgriming?... On...the road all the time
Fasting on
old Toby and red wine. .
Does he stash LembasBread under his Hat?
( with his Mithral?.. jock strap)

...but but Radagast HAS to be a vegetarian
Since he loves his little animals too much to eat any of
THEM?ŋ

Saruman enjoys the infinite variety based on his larder
Merry and Pippin find.

Uruki are Cannibals.

(Bywater.. What's with
All the apples?)
Bomby

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 9:00pm

Post #20 of 37 (7897 views)
Shortcut
Not sure about your idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

It didnīt seem to me as a joke by Rivendell elves. I think they had no idea dwarves wouldnīt like the food.
I rahter see it as PJīs joke than elvesī.

"So what accounts for Rivendell's choice to abstain from meats?" Maybe compassion with animals, spirituality, goodness....whatever.

Escapist
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 9:28pm

Post #21 of 37 (7893 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps it was a seasonal holiday / fast (dieting of some kind?) [In reply to] Can't Post

or maybe the first course was a salad and meats came later ...

or it could be that the elves read some books about the meat industry of middle earth and/or decided it would help them to be better and healthier elves ...

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 11:02pm

Post #22 of 37 (7869 views)
Shortcut
Food [In reply to] Can't Post

So Dwarves got most of their food from trade with Humans I suppose.

But what about the elves ? Do they have some form of agriculture ? At least in order to produce lembas they need cereals

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 11:28pm

Post #23 of 37 (7859 views)
Shortcut
They probably live off the land. [In reply to] Can't Post

"As with most mythical creatures who live in enchanted forests with no visible means of support, the elves ate rather frugally, and Frito was a little disappointed to find heaped on his plate a small mound of ground nuts, bark, and dirt. Nevertheless, like all boggies, he was capable of eating anything he could Indian-wrestle down his throat and rather preferred dishes that didn't struggle too much, since even a half-cooked mouse can usually beat a boggie two falls out of three."

(from "Bored of the Rings", of course! Angelic)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 11:51pm

Post #24 of 37 (7872 views)
Shortcut
Hehe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Truly a classic Heart

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Jan 14 2013, 11:51pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 15 2013, 12:51am

Post #25 of 37 (7872 views)
Shortcut
wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

It's off camera, but I think Azog throws the wargs "a bone" when his scout comes back with an unsatisfactory report.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.