The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Radagast, not so good on the distracting

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 1:48pm

Post #1 of 24 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Radagast, not so good on the distracting Can't Post

Radagast, buddy, if you're going to create a distraction, how about driving your sleigh away from the company? You keep looping back for some reason, even though your rabbits are supposedly faster than their wargs. Driving around in circles while we're still in eyeshot is not very helpful...even more so because you're all CGI so we can't react to how silly this spectacle is.

Although, we could have just waited in the woods for a while until you had successfully led them far away. It's not like we had to cross that field right away.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 2:17pm

Post #2 of 24 (756 views)
Shortcut
Word // [In reply to] Can't Post

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 2:20pm

Post #3 of 24 (754 views)
Shortcut
You sir speak the truth! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why on earth did they have to leave that forrest right away? Thye could easily have chilled a bit and waited for the danger to be out of the way.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 2:23pm

Post #4 of 24 (753 views)
Shortcut
He probably kept forgetting what he was doing! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 2:33pm

Post #5 of 24 (715 views)
Shortcut
Forget what? // [In reply to] Can't Post

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 2:34pm

Post #6 of 24 (783 views)
Shortcut
have you never seen [In reply to] Can't Post

a rabbit running from a predator? It runs in circles and loops. if anything this was an attention to detail.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 2:43pm

Post #7 of 24 (732 views)
Shortcut
When the predator is faster than them, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Changing direction constantly is a tactic used by many animals to avoid being caught by someone who has faster straight line speed than you. However, Radagast's rabbits are supposed to be faster than wargs so that doesn't make sense. His circles actually make it worse since there are multiple wargs, he continuously goes into the path of other wargs avoiding the lead warg at the time.

Next time you see a rabbit, go chase it. I guarantee it will not run around in circles, it will take off in one direction until you don't see it anymore.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 2:49pm

Post #8 of 24 (717 views)
Shortcut
Rabbit, run! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rabbits run in a zig-zag pattern when eluding predators, but Radagast did have some control over them, so it makes sense they would keep going 'round to elude the Wargs. There were also several groups of Warg-riders that Radagast had to avoid. Gandalf, Thorin and Co. were trying to keep out of sight (they had to run across the field to eventually get to the Rivendell entrance Gandalf was leading them to) so Radagast may not have known where they were every step of the way, and was barely keeping ahead of the Wargs and riders himself. The Wargs had already located the group in the woods, and actually were closing in on the Dwarves when Radagast blasts out of the woods--you see them just starting to go into the forest when Raddy comes out.

I actually thought the rabbit's CGI was much better than the Wargs. I know this scene is pretty silly, but I laughed my head off at the stupid Wargs chasing rabbits!

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Jan 14 2013, 2:52pm)

imin
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 2:51pm

Post #9 of 24 (700 views)
Shortcut
he was meant to be leading them away not periodically back to them, lol // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eurolock
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 3:00pm

Post #10 of 24 (716 views)
Shortcut
...and just why did the orcs even bother chasing Radagast anyway? [In reply to] Can't Post

Any suggestions? The wargs instinctively chasing the sled i can accept but surely the orcs would have stopped them?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 3:04pm

Post #11 of 24 (721 views)
Shortcut
Because he smells of Dwarf? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or more likely, they chase (and kill) anything and everything (and unaware that they were close to the Company).

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 14 2013, 3:06pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 3:05pm

Post #12 of 24 (694 views)
Shortcut
I agree with that point, [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they thought the company turned into rabbits?

The first Orc/Warg rider shouts something when he sees Radagast (can't quite make it out) and is the one to start chasing. The Orcs did stop eventually when they heard the fighting between the Orc/Warg and the Dwarves.

That's my attempt to explain, but other than that, I don't know! Maybe Orcs are ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray, if you get my meaning.

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 3:10pm

Post #13 of 24 (684 views)
Shortcut
this is what i call [In reply to] Can't Post

the utmost unnecessary nitpicking.
but i guess that's what people do.

imin
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 3:18pm

Post #14 of 24 (708 views)
Shortcut
haha i was responding to your answer [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is such absurd nit picking then why try and defend it?

For what it is worth, it is obviously nit picking and going a bit far for me as well, however, i replied as your reply to the OP made no sense for the scene we watched.

Ultimately this little scene was needed to allow the dwarves to move on driving the story on. It was poorly done but not because radagast went in circles, but more down to the poor CGI in the scene.

Skaan
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 4:45pm

Post #15 of 24 (661 views)
Shortcut
Stop with the CGI complaints... [In reply to] Can't Post

How many more times are people going to complain about the CGI in this movie? The CGI was perfectly fine, and opinions have nothing to do with this. You may not like their decision to use CGI, but that doesn't mean the actual CGI was bad...

Stop blindly repeating what other people are saying...

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 4:55pm

Post #16 of 24 (617 views)
Shortcut
People will complain [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it's their opinion, and we're on a community message-board.

Smile

I for one didn't like several of the CGI effects in HFR.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 5:07pm

Post #17 of 24 (641 views)
Shortcut
CGI, [In reply to] Can't Post

with a couple of exceptions have been noticeable thus far in the history of film-making!
It have not yet reached the realism that many try to convince us it has...
Peter saying we can't see the difference between actors and their digital double...
Well... Maybe he needs glasses again, because I can spot every time they've used a digital double in these films...
Goblin Town is a very good starting point to look out for them!

It is still a good movie, and the CGI does not take me out of the movie, but the CGI are not that good looking at this point... And that applies to all films ever released so far!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 5:46pm

Post #18 of 24 (587 views)
Shortcut
I dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

H ewas pretty distracting to me, if not to the orcs.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 6:22pm

Post #19 of 24 (608 views)
Shortcut
Lindele makes a good point, but also (SPOILER) [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the feeling that Radagast was trying to help Gandalf drive the company into Rivendell.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 10:05pm

Post #20 of 24 (523 views)
Shortcut
Actually, you need to stop [In reply to] Can't Post

If you think someone is violating our Terms of Service, notify an admin. Your role on the message boards is to contribute to the conversation, not manage the other members of the message boards.

It's fine to disagree with what someone has said, but it's not fine to tell them what they should do.

imin
Valinor

Jan 15 2013, 12:07am

Post #21 of 24 (470 views)
Shortcut
Even when the CGI is bad and i have said where it is from the first time i watched the film [In reply to] Can't Post

The CGI is clearly bad during this scene. That is my opinion and you have yours.

As i have said it multiple other posts there were parts that had fantastic CGI such as gollum and the eagles. Just so happens this chase scene was not one of them

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 15 2013, 8:09am

Post #22 of 24 (427 views)
Shortcut
bunnyrun [In reply to] Can't Post

I am pretty sure I'm going to have to wait for the DVD to figure out what is going on in this scene. I thought it was fairly odd that Radagast didn't lead the wargs straight off into the distance. All the rabbits in my backyard do run in zigzags. I think most of the CG works beautifully, but there are parts that work better than others. (I also think the hairy pony suits didn't work well, but then, I might be the only person in the audience who's dealt with an endless array of real hairy ponies). I also think WETA is the (cue Epic Music) best out there at what they do.

Ack, it's 3am, what am I doing....

Go outside and play...

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 15 2013, 5:05pm

Post #23 of 24 (417 views)
Shortcut
I think you may be right there. [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like he's having way too much fun on the bunny sled leading the Wargs around! I'd really like to try that Wink

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 2:05am

Post #24 of 24 (409 views)
Shortcut
That is what I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

after the second time I saw the movie. It seemed clear that Radagast and Gandalf were in league to get the dwarves to Rivendell.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.