Does their Diet. .Define their Desires?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 15 2013, 1:59am

Post #26 of 37 (4636 views)
Shortcut
Saruman "spilled the beans"...on Radagast! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shrooms..shrooms... and more shrooms....
Makes Radagast a real
"Fun-guy"

Shrooms in the morning,
Shro!oms at night...
Givezzz..you "Second Sightt"
Let's face it...Raddy is an old hippie!

Just like your bomby..
... an " ancient old hippie from BoulderĻ

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 7:19pm

Post #27 of 37 (4616 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell..with all the water around must have [In reply to] Can't Post

some kind of aqua culture?
So they do a lot of fishing... maybe flooded rice patties further down stream?
How about this?
Aqua farmed mussles,oysters,shimp, crawfish?
imported from the Bay of Lune,
Which is closer than the Bay of Belfalas..
They must have fruit orchards vegetable gardens even a winery growing grapes. I'd love to taste some vintage Rivendale wine!

Bomby is convinced they are macrobiotic since the term means in Greek
large life or long life
... Bingo! !!..no wonder they live so long?

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 16 2013, 7:22pm)

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 8:19pm

Post #28 of 37 (4597 views)
Shortcut
speaking as an elf who has dined with dwarves... [In reply to] Can't Post

as in, I'm a mom of three sons...that whole dinner at Rivendell scene looks awfully like a lot of dinners at my house! And some of Ori's lines about hating green things and asking for chips are pretty much direct quotes!

More seriously, I though the different food choices of the elves and dwarves worked as a good visual clue to show, rather than tell us, that the characters come from different cultures with different preferences and values.

Weaver

Gwenhwyfar
The Shire

Jan 17 2013, 2:10am

Post #29 of 37 (4606 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

My first thought on that scene was that the "green food" was bestowed in full awareness of how much the dwarves would appreciate it! Wink I also believe that Elrond issued the dinner invitation in a language he knew the dwarves wouldn't understand for the purpose of watching them react and that the elvish musicians were playing at their grumpy guests in full knowledge of their power to annoy!

So, as I see it, we the audience were spared all the tra lil lollies but the dwarves got to receive the same effect anyway. It doesn't indicate one way or the other (to me) about the movie Elves' dietary preferences; they could very well have been roasting a hog out back and sending it up to a secondary dining room for themselves while conveniently forgetting to mention this to the dwarves.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 5:18am

Post #30 of 37 (4593 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! and great point about Elrond! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad I'm not the only one, thanks for agreeing! And, great point point you made about Elrond's choice to speak his dinner invitation in Elvish! There's no other reason for doing that except to provoke a reaction as you said. And also a great point you made about all that live Elvish music! LaughLaugh.

It all fits...those RIvendell Elves have a wicked sense of humor Laugh. Just like in the book....without the silly singing, like you said.

Now Beorn, there's somebody who ought to be portrayed as a vegetarian, perhaps even vegan (Radagast ought to be as well).

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Gwenhwyfar
The Shire

Jan 17 2013, 5:42am

Post #31 of 37 (4618 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now Beorn, there's somebody who ought to be portrayed as a vegetarian, perhaps even vegan (Radagast ought to be as well).

Most certainly! Just imagine what either of those two would do to an offending dinner-guest! I'm reminded of the first time I saw the scene in FOTR in which Sam begs Gandalf "don't turn me into anything unnatural" and the camera immediately cuts to Gandalf and Frodo setting off with a pony. I did think for a moment that there had been a major narrative alteration! Shocked

Though, I don't think either Beorn or Radagast would be vegans (especially noting Beorn's bees' honey). They are good enough friends with their animals that it would be a symbiotic relationship, so I don't think either would worry that they were exploiting the animals by collecting milk, eggs, etc.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 2:01pm

Post #32 of 37 (4566 views)
Shortcut
Right, the beehives. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had forgotten that vegans wouldn't keep bees or use their honey. You're quite right.

Plus, Beorn will probably need to wear clothes from animal products?(we'll see).

Radagast , though unlikely, might still be vegan possibly, no? Maybe he and Beorn could engage in a vegetarian versus veganism debate in one of the upcoming movies? (jk)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 2:21pm

Post #33 of 37 (4575 views)
Shortcut
Elrond's vast knowledge [In reply to] Can't Post

Gwenhwyfar makes point below about Elrond. Why did he choose to speak in Elvish in inviting the Dwarves to dinner , when Westron would have sufficed? Also we know Elrond knows Khuzdul (Moon letters) and could have chosen that instead. What would the reason be other than to be playful and to provoke a reaction?

Similarly, as he knows about, and is specially equipped to read, Moon letters, plus he said he knew Thror, also he used to live in Eregion and would have known Dwarves of Moria directly if not personally, it's at least a safe guess that Elrond must have known about Dwarvish preference for meats, no?

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Jan 17 2013, 2:54pm

Post #34 of 37 (4789 views)
Shortcut
Elves vegetarians? [In reply to] Can't Post

You got a point there. In the Hobbit, Tolkien talks about the Mirkwood Elves having meat on their feast. However, I remember reading on another Tolkien text (maybe in the History of Middle Earth somewhere) that elves don't eat meat. So maybe vegetarians but not vegans?
Anyway, I always pictured them not eating meat, maybe fish.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 3:10pm

Post #35 of 37 (4555 views)
Shortcut
A hog in Rivendell? [In reply to] Can't Post

I donīt think so.
I still see this scene to show both races preferences and taste for food.
If it was meant to be joke by Elrond PJ would somehow show it in the movie.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 4:38pm

Post #36 of 37 (4580 views)
Shortcut
No hog? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's ok that you didn't see it as a joke by Elrond. Why couldn't they have hog at the feasting halls of Rivendell, though? If they wanted.

It's a valley teeming with nature. Hogs might live there, and quite well. Or the hunters could bring hogs from outside, couldn't they? Sincerely trying to understand.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 10:40pm

Post #37 of 37 (4790 views)
Shortcut
Lack of my English. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought hog is just another name for pig. Now know the difference.
Still Iīm more to believe Rivendell elves didnīt eat meat. Maybe fishes.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.