Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Do your own homework!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2013, 11:00am

Post #1 of 26 (519 views)
Shortcut
Do your own homework! Can't Post

This post is inspired by a bit of blatant cheekiness which i witnessed just recently on another forum, which a callow youth had just joined in order to ask for help with a homework assignment. He or she was vey upfront about it; no beating around the bush. An eleven-page paper, please; with all the fun-to-know facts about JRR and his books. Ahem...

As it happened, an admin got there before me and very sensibly pointed out that it's against that site's policy to give help with homework, and provided the young shaver with a reading list. Yes indeed; very sensible. Now if i'd gotten there first, I'd have been tempted to point him or her, to this website -

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/homework.htm#Fellowship

In which we find the following -

"On the way, their path is repeatedly beset by evil forces. First they are attacked by evil Orcs in the woods; next they are driven into the dark forest of Lothlorien, where they are imprisoned by the beautiful but evil Queen Beruthiel. They make their escape when Beruthiel's good sister, Galadriel, frees them from their prison-cell and floats them down the river in barrels. "

In case anyone here should doubt that some rube would fall for this sort of stuff, let me say that 'Galadriel's Evil twin Beruthiel' actually featured in an article in one of the UK's top newspaper, back in the day. True story.

Evil

(This post was edited by geordie on Jan 13 2013, 11:03am)

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 12:28pm

Post #2 of 26 (230 views)
Shortcut
Haha, thanks for the laugh! [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that it was picked up by a top UK paper just shows how shoddy journalists can be - best to take it all with a grain of salt and search for the facts yourself!

I understand looking to forums for a push in the right direction, but that's just .. geez! Makes me wonder why they were at college at all!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 1:50pm

Post #3 of 26 (254 views)
Shortcut
I would've loved to have had homework on Tolkien! [In reply to] Can't Post

If only they new what they could learn if they put their mind to it (and didn't expect others to do it for them).

When I was at school, I tried to insert any Tolkien reference into any homework I could (obviously, mainly English language and literature). We had to write our own story once ... mine involved 9 Black Riders each with a stone that gave them a special power. Wink I only got a C, and I'm surprised I didn't have lawyers knocking on my door. Unimpressed

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 13 2013, 5:04pm

Post #4 of 26 (249 views)
Shortcut
Love flyingmoose! [In reply to] Can't Post

That exact same scenario has been repeated many times over the year here at TORn when unsuspecting students turn up hoping someone here will do their homework for them. We've found that the community here is savvy enough, and good humored enough, to *ahem* 'help them out' without an Admin's help. The best, however, is when someone like squire or Darkstone sees their post and replies before an Admin can get there. Would it be wrong to admit sometimes we purposely wait a while until they do. Evil

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

ImetLEGOLAS
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 5:12pm

Post #5 of 26 (218 views)
Shortcut
HMMM [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow I never heard of anything like this before!!!! Thats...umm...herm....GOLLUM! GOLLUM!

I MET ORLANDO!!! And Sir Ian Mckellen, Andy Serkis and Peter Jackson!!! Elves taught trees!!!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 5:34pm

Post #6 of 26 (249 views)
Shortcut
I miss Darkstone [In reply to] Can't Post

*sigh*

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 13 2013, 8:36pm

Post #7 of 26 (211 views)
Shortcut
I remember that UK newspaper story! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was classic.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 13 2013, 10:20pm

Post #8 of 26 (232 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me of a classic from the Old Boards... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish you'd gotten to that person first, geordie! Laugh

That brings to mind some that appeared in the "old days", a classic was this one: http://www.theonering.net/...130FB3000F57B0C.html

The replies were great! Squire's was a hoot, as always: http://archives.theonering.net/...131BD3000F57BBC.html

But my favorite was Earwen Swan Maiden of Alqualonde's: http://archives.theonering.net/...136BF2000F57FAC.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 12:14am

Post #9 of 26 (181 views)
Shortcut
Oh that's terrible! [In reply to] Can't Post

Terribly funny however! I notice that poor angelinhiding13 never responded.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Plurmo
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:16am

Post #10 of 26 (198 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... bunnies, albinos, nose-stuff, rock monster, firebursts, [In reply to] Can't Post

lightning sands, Holy Mary, have fun storming the castle, descriptions of 48FPS 3D discomfort like fatigue, headache, mood swings, generalized anxiety, elevated heart rate, sleep disturbances...

Now I got this haunting feeling that PJ used some of those replies of yours as inspirational guidance.

"Two were.. how shall I say.. 'less than Dwarves', if you get my drift."

Oh, I got it... now I got it...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 1:10am

Post #11 of 26 (156 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 1:16am

Post #12 of 26 (177 views)
Shortcut
The closest I managed to get at sneaking Tolkien into my homework [In reply to] Can't Post

was an assignment we were given in tenth grade (that's about age 16) to write a persuasive paper. Our teacher said there would be an outside reader who was a literature teacher, and suggested we consider our audience. So I wrote my paper on why fantasy can be good literature, and the outside reader apparently agreed. I got an A :-)

Oh, and I wrote book reports on LotR several years running. Though to be fair I did re-read it each time.

Back in those days, no teacher ever assigned Tolkien as reading. I'm jealous that it happens now and I missed it. But when I did my student teaching, back in about 1978, I gave my students a story problem about Ringwraiths flying to the Dark Tower and back again, with and against the wind, and they were to find the speed of the wraiths and the windspeed.

When my son was in college, he took a humanities class and was asked to do a class project. It could be anything, not necessarily a paper. So because he was interested in blacksmithing, he forged an iron crown. His teacher, without any prompting, commented "That looks like something Morgoth would wear." <3

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 14 2013, 1:18am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 3:27am

Post #13 of 26 (181 views)
Shortcut
So do I. [In reply to] Can't Post

It caused a great deal of hilarity around here. Laugh

Silverlode

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 3:48am

Post #14 of 26 (198 views)
Shortcut
Remember this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've updated it for TH:AUJ

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said “There’s another way in!”

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 3:55am

Post #15 of 26 (192 views)
Shortcut
I do remember his drabble. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

and loved it.

good update. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 3:59am

Post #16 of 26 (149 views)
Shortcut
lol-ed at greendragon's! :-p // [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 5:59am

Post #17 of 26 (155 views)
Shortcut
ROFL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about above. Woe to anyone who crosses TORn's threshold looking to have their homework done for them. As for the rest of us, it provides hours of entertainment. LaughCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 7:13am

Post #18 of 26 (167 views)
Shortcut
You should have provided a health warning [In reply to] Can't Post

I nearly choked, especially when I was reading Squire's response:
Balin, Baleen, Bolus, Ballast, Bonus, Boner, Stoner, Loner, Pippin, Slippin, Snorin, Pourin and Floorin? Sly

And this part:
What encounters does Frodo come across on his quest?
Stainless steel, formica, tile, and Corian (of real Dwarf-make).

Brilliant.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 10:22am

Post #19 of 26 (161 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahahaha!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Ro and I just read through those and both laughed so hard we were crying at squire's answers. Thanks for the laughs!

Now, when is the next unsuspecting lazy student going to wander past? *evil laugh*

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 5:47pm

Post #20 of 26 (125 views)
Shortcut
Reminiscing is good... [In reply to] Can't Post

but In this case it is very good, like fine wine.It was a very good yearLaugh
Thanks d, you dug up a good'un.

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 6:05pm

Post #21 of 26 (119 views)
Shortcut
I definitely spent a good part of my morning [In reply to] Can't Post

reading through this old thread

Who decided who was going?
Tolkien, I think.

Where does this take place?
This? TORn.

Laugh

thanks dernwyn!

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 6:09pm

Post #22 of 26 (119 views)
Shortcut
The closest I've come [In reply to] Can't Post

to something on Tolkien actually being assigned was a lecture on On Fairy Stories. Unfortunately, the reading wasn't actually assigned, though I had such a big grin on my face during lecture, that the prof asked if he was right in thinking I'd read it.

That being said, my ability to work Tolkien into papers for religion courses may have contributed to my adding religion as a second major Angelic

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 7:20pm

Post #23 of 26 (107 views)
Shortcut
Tee-hee-hee!! Ain't TORnFolk stinkers!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 15 2013, 12:19am

Post #24 of 26 (115 views)
Shortcut
lol, this is rather hilarious, cheers geordie [In reply to] Can't Post

also, reading the posts here... ... makes me rather more suspicious of humble-TORn ...

jks jks TongueTongue.

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 12:08pm

Post #25 of 26 (98 views)
Shortcut
Would that I had homework on Tolkien... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would've jumped at the chance and done more than required!

Žęs ofereode, žisses swa męg - that has passed, so may this.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.