Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I did read your link

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 2:37am

Views: 85
Shortcut
I did read your link [In reply to] Can't Post

(once bitten, as I said once)Angelic

my understanding is that "looming" is when something that is beyond the horizon is still visible, whereas the phenomenon I am describing affects our perception of tall things on this side of the horizon. It is something that occurs in our mind (ie is an optical illusion) more so than because of the atmosphere or any effect of rarefaction: thanks to Wiki I just learned the phenomenon is sometimes called Moon Illusion.

There's this too from Anwers.com

The so-called "moon illusion" has nothing to do with atmospheric distortion. The phenomenon can be observed with terrestrial objects, such as mountains or tall buildings (like the Empire State Building), which when viewed at long distances appear much larger than when viewed at closer distances.
Here is a fact: the angle subtended by the moon's width when it is near the horizon is THE SAME as when it is directly overhead, even though it appears to be larger when low in the sky. One evening when the moon is low in the sky and appears large, hold your thumb up at arm's length and note the moon's size compared to your thumb. Later, when the moon is high in the sky, do the same thing. You will see that the moon's apparent size does not change. It's a somewhat disturbing experiment, since the data -- your thumb measurements -- defy what your eyes are telling you.
Scientists are unsure what causes this phenomenon, but it is obviously related to how the brain interprets images of large, distant objects viewed low in the sky or that appear near the horizon. I observed this phenomenon myself when I visited Seattle for the first time. Mount Rainier, when viewed from Seattle, appears quite huge. It's a big mountain, no doubt, but it appears disproportionately large when viewed from Seattle. As you drive to the mountain, it looms quite large until you get into close proximity, when it doesn't seem quite as massive any longer.

http://wiki.answers.com/...izon_than_in_the_sky

In conclusion, atmosphere, viewer elevation relative to the horizon, subject position relative to the horizon, size of the subject, and the quirkiness of binocular vision (I think many optical illusions break down under monocular vision, I know the moon illusion does which is why giant moon photos never turn out the way you saw it), all must be considered when answering the question: can you see the sea from Warwick Tower? Wink

ETA: and if we get into all that, we miss the point of Tolkien's Beowulf lecture entirely. Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 14 2013, 2:43am)

Subject User Time
'Inspired the Twin Towers'? Folly, indeed. geordie Send a private message to geordie Jan 12 2013, 11:50am
    It's too bad squire Send a private message to squire Jan 12 2013, 2:35pm
        Can one see the sea from Warwick Tower? // sador Send a private message to sador Jan 13 2013, 4:08am
            Great reference Sador. :) // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 13 2013, 5:22am
                Psst SirDennis... sador Send a private message to sador Jan 13 2013, 6:07am
                    In only a few posts SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 13 2013, 6:16am
                        I was indeed. Well done! // sador Send a private message to sador Jan 13 2013, 6:20am
            She was sure she saw sea shores from teary-eyed Kortirion squire Send a private message to squire Jan 13 2013, 6:03am
                If it were in a Peter Jackson film... N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 13 2013, 7:21am
                    Visibility on Earth vs in Middle-earth SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 13 2013, 8:15am
                        The phenomenon is called "looming". N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 13 2013, 10:10am
                            I did read your link SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 14 2013, 2:37am
                                And I read yours! N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 14 2013, 5:36am
    I would have thought... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jan 12 2013, 10:02pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.