Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Are you happy that we have The Hobbit films?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 1:17am

Post #1 of 64 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Are you happy that we have The Hobbit films? Can't Post

I know I am - for some simple reasons:

1. All the lead-up discussions mean I finally know how to spell Azanulbizar.
2. I can say 'Hot Dwarves' and know people are nodding in agreement.
3. Only Thorin could say 'Get him a pony' and still be manly.
4. I get to see more of NZ without spending money and time to explore.
5. Gandalf the Grey is back. :)

How about you? What are your 'other' reasons for being happy with AUJ?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 1:24am

Post #2 of 64 (752 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad YOU can spell Azanulbizar! [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep having to look it up--or "copy and paste"! Otherwise I'd be writing "Azulbzarflergerbergerhobbit".

I also have a topic of conversation that rival's my husband's Star Wars/Star Trek/Babylon 5/Stargate. Geek-out supreme.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 1:27am

Post #3 of 64 (725 views)
Shortcut
Simple [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves. 13 of them. ^_^

squire
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 1:39am

Post #4 of 64 (725 views)
Shortcut
It's a personal reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

but for me, having just seen the first one this afternoon, am I happy it exists? not really.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 1:43am

Post #5 of 64 (729 views)
Shortcut
Yes, without a doubt! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am 110%. I love Middle-earth and its my refuge when the stresses of life are more than I want to deal with. Then of course it's all the great characters, moments, getting more Collectibles from this world, and lots of what you listed. This is a world that I want people to love.

elentari3018
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 5:08am

Post #6 of 64 (717 views)
Shortcut
my reasons for happiness with The Hobbit films :D [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Another way to get back to Middle-earth in all it's glory~ hail to New Zealand for a such a lush and varied landscape that is oh so beautiful to behold
2) more sleepless nights of squee-ing and being excited about something you've cared about for all these long years since LotR came out as movies
3) 13 dwarves with character that you didn't really see in the book being fleshed out so very well
4) Extended Editions that will be amazing as well to have!
5) The cast and crew of the Hobbit blew my mind and will continue to do so in the second and third parts of the movies
6) just a reason to smile for movies again

7) two more movies-- yay for repeat visits just to visit the precioussss!!!

8) just more love and squee precioussss
always!!!! =)

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Gwenhwyfar
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 5:19am

Post #7 of 64 (691 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, having a Hobbit film isn't exactly new -- there's the 1977 Rankin-Bass animated version, which just goes to show that the story can outlast pretty much any adaptation and have different incarnations later. On the whole, I like AUJ, though there are bits that annoy me (some considerably), but I really enjoy having visuals for some things that I didn't imagine as fully. Erebor as a living dwarf kingdom comes to mind, and yes, manly riders of ponies are delightfulHeart!

Besides, having the film generates additional interest in the books. Unless PJ does something unforgivably horrible in the next two (I don't feel that the targets of my grumbles about this one reach that level), I approve on the grounds that there are now more people in the world with whom I can talk about Middle-Earth.

Of course, I make no claims that those conversations won't rapidly turn into me trying to wheedle them into reading the book! Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 7:04am

Post #8 of 64 (691 views)
Shortcut
Of course: Grubby men with lots of hair. What's not to like? // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 8:13am

Post #9 of 64 (673 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I look forward to the next couple of years too. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 8:16am

Post #10 of 64 (690 views)
Shortcut
We need to come up with a mnemonic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone remembers the A and Z

A
Z
Aragorn
Needed
Ugly
Legolas
Before
Insect
Zoo
Attacked
Radagast

How's that? Laugh

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 8:33am

Post #11 of 64 (704 views)
Shortcut
unequivocal -yes-. And some 'other' reasons: [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I have an excuse to grow a bonkers beard
2. I have -even- more of a reason to be openly Tolkien-geeky in public WinkCool

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 9:37am

Post #12 of 64 (680 views)
Shortcut
Apart from just having new Tolkien-related stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

it's really awesome to see lots of younger people getting into Tolkien's work via the movies! Even if they are just fangirling over Thorin, Bilbo, Fili & Kili, lots of them will read the book and get hooked!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 10:40am

Post #13 of 64 (690 views)
Shortcut
Happy, happy, happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep reading your #5 as "Gandalf the Gey", after that old post of squire's I just read. *giggle*

Yes, all of your reasons, and a few more.

1. Thorin
2. "Bunny sled" is no longer an oxymoron.
3. Thorin
4. We don't have to listen to Elves singing "Tra-la-la-lalley"!
5. Thorin
6. We *do* get to listen to Dwarves singing. Mountains or dishes -- doesn't matter, singing Dwarves are sexy. Who knew?
7. Thorin
8. Watching ponies with Fili and Kili suddenly seems like a fantastic pastime.
9. Thorin
10. Getting to reconnect and geek out with old friends Smile
11. Kili

(This list goes up to 11.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 11:41am

Post #14 of 64 (666 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... you've nailed most of mine! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially "Gandalf being back" and More of New Zealand... all of your reasons, except how to spell Azalbuziar... Azlbaz.. oh bother...

my

5. I get to wander through Bag End
6. I get to wander through Middle-earth
7. I get to meet Radagast! And his bunnies!
8. Having dwarves I can relate to and who are so funny, hot, kingly, and clueless
9. I got to be Good Morning'd; Riddled; and fly on the back of an eagle. I've got to say, one of my "gasp" monent is that overhead shot of Bilbo and Gandalf on their eagles flying over the mountain opening over a valley!
10. Peter, Philippa and Fran got their wish :)

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 12:02pm

Post #15 of 64 (666 views)
Shortcut
Now, does this mean . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

that you approve of Peter's choice for Thorin?

kareniel
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 12:59pm

Post #16 of 64 (664 views)
Shortcut
I'm so thankful for. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

all the beautiful new images, snippets of dialogue, and whisps of new melodies that float around in my head as I go about my day. And, because it's still going strong in the local theater, I am continually looking forward to seeing it again.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 1:46pm

Post #17 of 64 (665 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm delighted! [In reply to] Can't Post

My reasons:

1. A wonderful movie to go see again when I can squeeze it in (for another weekend or two anyway...)
2. A Middle Earth movie experience to share with my sons. (They missed LotR, not having been born yet when it came out).
3. Seeing Gandalf and Gollum and Bag End and Rivendell again!
4. More beautiful New Zealand as Middle Earth scenery.
5. More amazing Middle Earth locations and costumes to make my eyes pop (Dwarves!! Erebor!!!)
6. More Howard Shore music.
7. Thorin...

imin
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 2:36pm

Post #18 of 64 (638 views)
Shortcut
I am happy [In reply to] Can't Post

They have given me the chance to see a film in HFR - i think its good to try new things and though its not perfect it was still interesting to see.

It has given me a greater appreciation of just how good the lotr films were.

It was good to see the shire and erebor, little flashes of dale.

New Zealand scenery.

Latest CGI - gollum.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 3:58pm

Post #19 of 64 (653 views)
Shortcut
Riddled with happiness! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like Gollum, blue cheese, and parasites!

Yes I am extraordinarily happy! It so wonderful to see Tolkien's world come to life again.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 5:49pm

Post #20 of 64 (639 views)
Shortcut
Very happy indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I know not everyone liked them and that they weren't as popular as the LOTR, but let's face it, that was inevitable.

The bits that make me very pleased that it exists:
A Trilogy with Gandalf the Grey. What more needs to be said?
Martin Freeman's flawless rendition of Bilbo as well as Ken Stott's brilliant portrayal of Balin.
The excellent prologue/Dwarf history scenes.
Radagast-oh, and the fact that my three favourite characters (the three Wizards, funnily enough) are all in one film!
The whole Goblin Town escape bit
The Great Goblin-Mad and camp but highly amusing
The incredible soundtrack/new locations (Goblin Town. Wow.)
Riddles in the Dark scene. Almost perfect.

We're in for a very good couple of years.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 6:34pm

Post #21 of 64 (624 views)
Shortcut
It salvages my reputation as a somewhat [In reply to] Can't Post

dwarf entity....i think...

I am very happy that Peter took the directorship by the horns. Continuity and quality control remains. I am very satisfied with the 3D technology because it is all so much more expressive in bringing 'reality' to me. I saw it in 2D the 3rd time (for scientific purposes) and it was just... it was pretty... it was never-againsville if i can help it thank you very much. Blurry,flat,streaky to the point of dizziness. It was sort of like spinning on a playground merry-go-round looking through a couple of old coke bottles.

And having 3 movies, i can savor richly without rushing though 'a high speed mill tour' . I can be assured of detail and completeness for the duration. It will just last a long time too, because again i am a patient person over the long haul knowing that M-e can be revisited richly and in grand style for years to come.

And having Howard Shore on board too, the score is getting richer each time i again see this film . Again worth the wait.

One must remember that the sojourn of any M-e saga will likely be over after this beloved story is done except for perhaps Extended additions. Let's savor this for all of its worth.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 7:01pm

Post #22 of 64 (624 views)
Shortcut
Very! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can return to Middle-earth "back again".
Seeing a wonderful portrayal of Bilbo.
13 dwarves, all different, yet clearly dwarves.
I can wear a t-shirt that says I Heart hot dwarves, and there are people who get it.
I can spend hours again in the cinema, eating my favorite popcorn.
HobbitCon is on its way, meeting 10 of the dwarves in real life!
I had a good excuse to travel to New Zealand for The Premiere.
And I have a new excuse to travel to New Zealand again, more locations to visit!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 7:54pm

Post #23 of 64 (607 views)
Shortcut
Pics or it didn't happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. I have an excuse to grow a bonkers beard

Evil

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 7:57pm

Post #24 of 64 (594 views)
Shortcut
A new verb! [In reply to] Can't Post

A challenge: To use 'fangirling' outside of TORN. Wink

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 8:01pm

Post #25 of 64 (607 views)
Shortcut
*snort* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Otherwise I'd be writing "Azulbzarflergerbergerhobbit".

Sounds like a place named by Treebeard. Wink

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.