Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Plot Hole : How Azog crossed the Misty Mountains
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 9:59pm

Post #1 of 45 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Plot Hole : How Azog crossed the Misty Mountains Can't Post

Azog and his hunters managed to be at the Goblins entrance just after the dwarves. It implies that they followed the dwarves through goblin town ? How could have them crossed the mountains so quickly and be sure to find the dwarves ?

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 10:01pm

Post #2 of 45 (669 views)
Shortcut
Just gotta suspend reality [In reply to] Can't Post

How do we know there isn't some quick, easy route through the Misty Mountains that Azog and his orcs know about? Them being orcs most likely know some easy routes to get over.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 10:05pm

Post #3 of 45 (673 views)
Shortcut
gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf would know it

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 10:05pm

Post #4 of 45 (677 views)
Shortcut
Riddled with holes [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the impression (from the book) that the Misty Mountains were riddled with goblin tunnels, and there were several entrances/exits. They may have taken a different tunnel.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

leniel Tindome
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 10:11pm

Post #5 of 45 (707 views)
Shortcut
simple explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

there was this little scribble clerk-orc. he informed Azog like a short message. (goblin king ordered it). During the time of the fight "under hill" Azog had enough time to follow

(This post was edited by  leniel Tindome on Jan 13 2013, 10:11pm)

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 10:37pm

Post #6 of 45 (588 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
there was this little scribble clerk-orc. he informed Azog like a short message. (goblin king ordered it). During the time of the fight "under hill" Azog had enough time to follow

Heck the little clerk Goblin was on a zipline.

Maybe Azog and his homies simply took ziplines through the mountains. That would be pretty quick.

irodino
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 11:34pm

Post #7 of 45 (599 views)
Shortcut
Bigger Plot Hole: How Radagast crossed Misty Mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

How did he get from Dol Guldur to where he met Gandalf and the Company, on his bunny sled? :P At least Azog had free passage through the goblin tunnels, but Radagast had no such luxury. Gandalf himself had some trouble with the snowstorm in FOTR, or so it seemed, and Radagast would have to take care of his bunny horde. Surely he didn't force them to drag him around the snowy peaks with no rest? What about food and warmth? :P Well maybe he went around the mountains, passing Isengard.

The way the movie shows it though, it seems like Radagast was driving like crazy and crying "Fire! Murder!" for a few hundred miles from DG :D

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that terrible in-between."

(This post was edited by irodino on Jan 13 2013, 11:35pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 11:54pm

Post #8 of 45 (580 views)
Shortcut
Ha! I was waiting for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

The way the movie shows it though, it seems like Radagast was driving like crazy and crying "Fire! Murder!" for a few hundred miles from DG :D

Perhaps he was!

I'm thinking he went around to the south past Isengard. Either he didn't want to talk to Saruman--understandable, considering Saruman's opinion of him--or Saruman was not at home, traveling to Rivendell for the White Council meeting.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:03am

Post #9 of 45 (588 views)
Shortcut
The real plot hole [In reply to] Can't Post

How did Azog's minions happen to find Thorin and company camping out just after Balin told the story of the battle at Moria? That's a pretty big coincidence, given the decades (presumably) since the Moria battle happened. If there is some sort of explanation of this in the film, I'd appreciate learning about it, but having watched the film three times, it still seems to have no justification whatsoever.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 12:10am

Post #10 of 45 (520 views)
Shortcut
It's raised as a question, not answered. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How did Azog's minions happen to find Thorin and company camping out just after Balin told the story of the battle at Moria? That's a pretty big coincidence, given the decades (presumably) since the Moria battle happened.

It is not explained in the movie, but what I gathered is that the coincidence was noticed by Gandalf as well (and thus is not a plot-hole, but a mystery the future movies may well explain). This is why he made a point of asking Thorin (twice) whom Thorin had told of the quest.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 12:12am

Post #11 of 45 (507 views)
Shortcut
The only explanation I have so far [In reply to] Can't Post

is they followed Radagast? Only I think they spotted Thorin and Co. before Radagast found them.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:13am

Post #12 of 45 (487 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible there may be an explanation in a later part of the film, but I don't like the Azog plot at all, and to introduce it this way just makes me wince at the apparent coincidence. And of course, as pointed out, he and his band shows up within minutes of Bilbo existing the caves, and he does so only very shortly after Gandalf and the Dwarves do. This all pushes credulity a bit far.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:18am

Post #13 of 45 (475 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

They spotted the group before the trolls scene, when Radagast hasn't yet appeared. And how in the world would Azog know that Radagast has any connection with Thorin, who is the target of Azog's wrath? (And why do Azog's minions chase Radagast on his bunny sled? He can't know that Radagast has any connection with Thorin, and it's a poor set of hunters who get distracted from their goal of finding Thorin to chase anybody who passes by.)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 12:27am

Post #14 of 45 (450 views)
Shortcut
You are right, that doesn't make sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

But as far as chasing the bunny sled, I consider it a classic "dogs chasing rabbits" scenario--just too irresistible. Radagast bursts out of the woods from the same place Thorin and Co. are, so it would make some sense that the Orcs think he is connected to Thorin's group somehow.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:39am

Post #15 of 45 (434 views)
Shortcut
Time of the year? Spring/summer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't remember... but if it's spring or summer, Caradras is open.
Maybe, also, goblins of Goblin Town helped the orcs to cross the mountains, through a passage.
I'd say, not a big deal.

As for Radagast... Isengard. The events seems simultaneous, but they are not.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Plurmo
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:39am

Post #16 of 45 (422 views)
Shortcut
He found the Weasley's blue Ford Anglia [In reply to] Can't Post

while searching for Thorin in the Forbidden Forest.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 12:48am

Post #17 of 45 (417 views)
Shortcut
It is summer [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Can't remember... but if it's spring or summer, Caradras is open.

Midsummer when they are at Rivendell, to be precise.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:49am

Post #18 of 45 (483 views)
Shortcut
Plot hole explained [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin bumps his head escaping Goblin Town and is carried out. The following scenes never happen and are dreamed up by Thorin.

-Falling bridge
-Azog fight scene
-Bilbo being a warrior
-Thorin loving Bilbo too soon

The second movie will start with Thorin waking up and the eagle rescue going exactly how the book described it. We find out that Azog is, in fact, dead, and all his scenes were just Thorin dream sequences.

What a relief!

Plurmo
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 1:06am

Post #19 of 45 (408 views)
Shortcut
Thorin will begin to hear non je ne regrette rien all around him...// [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 1:08am

Post #20 of 45 (398 views)
Shortcut
Then get pushed off a cliff :p // [In reply to] Can't Post

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 1:36am

Post #21 of 45 (418 views)
Shortcut
Maybe someone...ummm...lent him a hand. [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Fŗfnir
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 3:58am

Post #22 of 45 (375 views)
Shortcut
Thorin never intended to go through goblin town [In reply to] Can't Post

so there is obviously another pass, probably the one azog took

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 6:36am

Post #23 of 45 (318 views)
Shortcut
The Great Goblin's little messenger [In reply to] Can't Post

That little messenger Golbin (i.e. (i.e. the cackling Golbin imp in the bucket on the line) is sent by the Great Goblin to inform Azog that he (the Great Golbin) had captured the dwarves and could give him Thorin's head.

There's supposed to be more more scenes with that little imp, presumably of him giving the message to Azog and the Gundabad warg riders. Maybe once they get this message Azog and his troops head for the backdoor of Goblin Town?

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 8:44am

Post #24 of 45 (270 views)
Shortcut
This is the case for Radagast getting to them across the Mountains so easily and quickly too. For me anyway // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 9:40am

Post #25 of 45 (260 views)
Shortcut
He hijacked the bunny sled? [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured the Goblin-town goblins let him in the side door, and out some secret back door. Those Goblins surely have made heaps of tunnels and entrances/exits through their realm, haven't they? And for some reason they're friendly with Azog and company, so let them slip through quickly. I can suspend belief enough to make this work.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.