Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Azog in all three Movies....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

leniel Tindome
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 9:43pm

Post #1 of 38 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Azog in all three Movies.... Can't Post

I came across this today: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0071847/ and was looking for any discussion about it on this board (nothing found, sorry if theres already a thread).

Okay its "just imdb" but many people are already worried about having Azog till the bitter end...Maybe this is just the confirmation. Hope Not....

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 9:52pm

Post #2 of 38 (722 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope he is killed by Beorn in the second film.

leniel Tindome
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 9:53pm

Post #3 of 38 (694 views)
Shortcut
We all hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but - then again Thorin will not have any revenge... all what was build up in AUJ would be senseless

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 10:02pm

Post #4 of 38 (629 views)
Shortcut
maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe PJ will introduce a battle between the dwarves and Azog near Beorn's house, Beorn appear and save the day.

I think the whole part where Gandalf introduces the company one after one to Beorn while fun to read will not be good on film. We will see what PJ will do for this.

utku
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 10:03pm

Post #5 of 38 (622 views)
Shortcut
It's not official [In reply to] Can't Post

The cast lists for the upcoming movies are not submitted to IMDb as far as I'm aware. So it's probably a fan edit.

leniel Tindome
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 10:07pm

Post #6 of 38 (572 views)
Shortcut
Hope that is true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The cast lists for the upcoming movies are not submitted to IMDb as far as I'm aware. So it's probably a fan edit.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 10:07pm

Post #7 of 38 (625 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that is clearly where this character arc has been heading. [In reply to] Can't Post

And with the addition of Bolg later on, they will have replaced the main "bad Orc" in the film. I know that there were several threads with various scenarios about who kills who when, and all seemed to focus on TABA. This would seem to change that.

Then again, I'm still trying to figure out how Frodo figures into DoS...

In Reply To
...but - then again Thorin will not have any revenge... all what was build up in AUJ would be senseless

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 13 2013, 11:41pm

Post #8 of 38 (512 views)
Shortcut
I am hoping that perhaps the orcs might be foolsih enough to venture near Beorn's [In reply to] Can't Post

house. Beorn and Gandalf do most of the heavy lifting, perhaps Beorn fells Azog's warg companion, and then Thorin slays Azog.

Love your icon by the way. Is that a reasonable approximation of your appearance? (the earlier one with the earmuffs. The other one is obvious enough, A Wizard knows Galadriel when he sees her lol)Smile

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Jan 13 2013, 11:41pm)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:40am

Post #9 of 38 (486 views)
Shortcut
Killed at BO5A? I'm fine with that. I like him. (NT) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://energyfromthorium.com/

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 12:51am

Post #10 of 38 (472 views)
Shortcut
Here here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope Beorn just says he killed him when he goes back to confirm their story. I hope we don't even see the killing because Azog needs no more screen time.

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 1:00am

Post #11 of 38 (489 views)
Shortcut
Strongly dislike Azog sideplot writers felt 'necessary' [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree 100%. The Tolkien estate should sue Jackson for lies. It aggravates me.

brucewayne
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 1:08am

Post #12 of 38 (475 views)
Shortcut
Overreaction [In reply to] Can't Post

"Lies"? Ridiculous. The Azog side plot was great, and about 5% of the movie, everybody chill out.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 1:35am

Post #13 of 38 (465 views)
Shortcut
It should have been Bolg, NOT Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I generally enjoyed the film, but for me, the inclusion of Azog went way too far into the realm of fan-fiction. PJ kept saying that he had enough for 3 films because he had the rights to the Appendices, but it seems that everything that he has mined from the Appendices, he has altered so severely that it barely resembles what Tolkien wrote.

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 1:48am

Post #14 of 38 (454 views)
Shortcut
TH: AUJ, or The Hobbit: Azog's Unexpected Juxtaposition [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 2:40am

Post #15 of 38 (453 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. But I think Peter, Fran and Phillipa (and Guillermo, though I feel very much like they sidelined him) fell in love with that big hunk of [In reply to] Can't Post

bald, muscle packed orc. I really think that is the gist of it. They could have worked Bolg into his role very well, and if Thorin killed Azog, that makes Bolg's vengeance highly plausible. Bolg being implicated in Thrain's capture and torment would also fuel Thorin's rage. I think, at the end though, they liked Azog as a villain better than Bolg, and so they went with him. Too bad.

In Reply To
I generally enjoyed the film, but for me, the inclusion of Azog went way too far into the realm of fan-fiction. PJ kept saying that he had enough for 3 films because he had the rights to the Appendices, but it seems that everything that he has mined from the Appendices, he has altered so severely that it barely resembles what Tolkien wrote.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 3:18am

Post #16 of 38 (399 views)
Shortcut
You know, you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They could have worked Bolg into his role very well, and if Thorin killed Azog, that makes Bolg's vengeance highly plausible. Bolg being implicated in Thrain's capture and torment would also fuel Thorin's rage. I think, at the end though, they liked Azog as a villain better than Bolg, and so they went with him. Too bad.

And I'll be honest with you, based on the pictures I've seen, I find Bolg to be way more frightening than Azog. I'm not sure what about Azog makes him compelling, either physically or as a character. Maybe he's going to do something really horrific (more than beheading Thror?) in DoS, but it would have to be huge. No, I would have been more scared for the dwarves if they were running from Bolg.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 5:03am

Post #17 of 38 (363 views)
Shortcut
Azog is sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what's wrong about him other than he's not in the book!

I like him, very cool character. Imposing, great SFX.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 14 2013, 5:04am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 5:56am

Post #18 of 38 (355 views)
Shortcut
The real problem with Azog is the contortions the history was put through for him [In reply to] Can't Post

That really is the biggest thing. The actual account, from the moment Thrain hears the news, and grieves and tears his beard and sits Seven silent days, to the muster of the Dwarven Host, joined by armies from the other Houses, to the moment when Dain, fresh from the slaying of Azog, comes down, ashen faces with dread, from The East Gate and tells Thrain that the dwarves cannot return to Moria, for Durin's Bane still lurks within, waiting to slaughter more of Durin's heirs, all weaves together into such a POWERFUL tale, and the editing and rearranging of it here greatly diminishes its force and weight. Still makes for an okay tale. But so much less than it could and should have been.

deskp
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 7:02am

Post #19 of 38 (376 views)
Shortcut
'Lurtz' [In reply to] Can't Post

I think maybe azog wasnt much of a thing before the 3 movie change, when there was 2 movies Bolg propably was introduced half way through the first one.

With 3 movies they needed to add a persistent main villain to the first movie.

I would like to see him killed off asap simply because I find his cg-ness to be a little too apparent.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 8:43am

Post #20 of 38 (299 views)
Shortcut
once again, I entirely concur. So so much power in the actual appendix tale which they for the most part completely missed :¨(// [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 9:53am

Post #21 of 38 (298 views)
Shortcut
I just have to say, [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, Azog worked better and better each time I saw the movie, and during the Azanulbizar flashback he gave me goosebumps twice! (When beheading Thror and when he strikes Thorin)

He's an awesome character, and even though I agree Bolg would probably be closer to canon I think Azog worked damn well Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Jan 14 2013, 9:53am)

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 9:56am

Post #22 of 38 (312 views)
Shortcut
azog death [In reply to] Can't Post

In DOS Azog can be killed :

=> By Beorn at the beginning of the film

=> By Tauriel as he follows the dwarves in Mirkwood

=> By Bard as he raids Laketown to get fresh supplies

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 10:02am

Post #23 of 38 (281 views)
Shortcut
Even though I'm not a huge Azog fan... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that there now needs to be a showdown between him and Thorin at some point. Otherwise, their whole revenge storyline has no weight whatsoever.

I actually think it would be cool if Thorin and Azog somehow kill each other at BOFA. It would make for a pretty poetic ending. Both characters ironically get their revenge.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 10:03am

Post #24 of 38 (279 views)
Shortcut
Azog should get his comeuppance at the BO5A. [In reply to] Can't Post

No other ending seems appropriate.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 10:15am

Post #25 of 38 (265 views)
Shortcut
yep, pretty sure that'll be the case. Just can't see it happening any other way cinematically now that they've set the Azog Complex up. // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.