Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The world is Ahead (last few notes)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2013, 7:45pm

Post #1 of 21 (716 views)
Shortcut
The world is Ahead (last few notes) Can't Post

The last few notes of the track The world is Ahead is some of the best stuff on that soundtrack. Was that in the movie? I don't remember hearing it. I hope it develops into a full blown theme in the next movies.

Also, some of the bonus tracks are pretty cool, shame they weren't in the movie.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 13 2013, 7:51pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2013, 8:10pm

Post #2 of 21 (360 views)
Shortcut
Music when fighting the trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it me or is this music different on the soundtrack as well? Sounds better than what we get in the movie.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 8:15pm

Post #3 of 21 (343 views)
Shortcut
'Roast Mutton' is quite different on the Special Edition [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I much prefer the longer action cues on the standard edition.

Jabarkis
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 2:26am

Post #4 of 21 (224 views)
Shortcut
The Edge of the WIld [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have the Special Edition, listen to The Edge of the Wild. I'm pretty sure that opens with the same motif.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 3:32am

Post #5 of 21 (223 views)
Shortcut
You are right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer the full blown strings version, though. But the beginning of Edge of the Wild is not bad, either. I hope they'll use some of that in the sequels.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 3:44am

Post #6 of 21 (202 views)
Shortcut
Kinda annoying... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that you have to buy both soundtracks if you wanna hear everything.

How's Misty Mountain from Neil Finn on the standard edition (other than shorter)? In the deluxe edition i believe to hear differences between it and the version they use in the movie.

Man, not a fan of the variations. Sometimes i wish they would have used some of the stuff that's on the soundtrack and sometimes i wish the soundtrack had some stuff from the movie. With LOTR you pretty much got what's in the movie. Not so much here...

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 14 2013, 3:49am)

Jabarkis
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 5:03am

Post #7 of 21 (181 views)
Shortcut
Roast Mutton works better, dramatically, on the SE [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it is quite irritating. I expect they'll try to get a triple-dip going on all the soundtracks (standard edition, special edition and complete recordings).

I probably prefer the Special Edition version of the Roast Mutton cue from a dramatic perspective: the dwarves are doing something heroic, but they're powerless against the trolls, so it works to have the full theme dialled down a few notches. The standard version is probably more fun, though.

It's basically all down to market forces - they want to release the soundtracks at the same time as the films, but the cut of the score used in the films will almost always be more recent than the recording for the soundtracks.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 7:59am

Post #8 of 21 (155 views)
Shortcut
Is there a list of titles that are different from the EE? [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the Extended Edition CD, but wouldn't mind downloading the tracks I'm missing out on from iTunes, if it's possible to download single tracks from the Standard Edition.

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 10:54am

Post #9 of 21 (140 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure the Eagles track is missing [In reply to] Can't Post

from the SE album, since I listened to it a couple times last night. I'd also like to know what else I should download...

EDIT: Might be wrong about the Eagles. Not sure.

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

(This post was edited by Calenheniel on Jan 14 2013, 11:00am)

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 12:02pm

Post #10 of 21 (124 views)
Shortcut
The film version of the eagle music is not on either version [In reply to] Can't Post

The only music on the Regular Edition soundtrack that is not on the Special Edition soundtrack is, I believe, the following:

Old Friends - The section that begins at 1:51 is different between the Regular and Special.

Roast Mutton - The action sequence is different - in particular, the "Misty Mountains" statement is much longer and more heroic in the Regular Edition than in the Special.

Moon Runes - There is a 15 second bit at 2:42 in the Regular which is not in the Special, apparently.

As far as I'm aware, that's all Smile

(With regards to the eagle music, the first part of "A Good Omen" would seem to be for the eagle rescue but was not used in the film. I don't think it's as long as the stupendous music used in the film though)

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

(This post was edited by FlyingSerkis on Jan 14 2013, 12:03pm)

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 12:20pm

Post #11 of 21 (137 views)
Shortcut
Does Billy Boyd get a co-writing credit for that? [In reply to] Can't Post

He came up with the melody, didn't he?

(This post was edited by Runk Snusgrop on Jan 14 2013, 12:21pm)

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 12:46pm

Post #12 of 21 (117 views)
Shortcut
Billy Boyd's song was "The Edge of Night" [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't think any melody from that is included in this score. The discussion is about the Hobbit track "The World is Ahead" which of course is a line from Billy's song, but I don't think there is any musical connection Smile

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 1:01pm

Post #13 of 21 (101 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for listing the differences [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(With regards to the eagle music, the first part of "A Good Omen" would seem to be for the eagle rescue but was not used in the film. I don't think it's as long as the stupendous music used in the film though)

The eagle rescue i miss the most. Great music.

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 1:01pm

Post #14 of 21 (102 views)
Shortcut
I hope they release the film version! [In reply to] Can't Post

The one on the SE just does not compare, like you said, to the magic of the one I heard in the cinema. Frown

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 1:05pm

Post #15 of 21 (105 views)
Shortcut
A Good Omen is great. The music used in the movie for the Eagle rescue is even better. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 1:11pm

Post #16 of 21 (103 views)
Shortcut
I think it's quite likely we'll get a "Complete Recordings" set at some point [In reply to] Can't Post

And they would surely include that cue in such a set (depending on how the EE of the film pans out).

Meanwhile it is currently on youtube.... Link (Am I allowed to do that?)

(This post was edited by FlyingSerkis on Jan 14 2013, 1:12pm)

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 1:21pm

Post #17 of 21 (91 views)
Shortcut
I like how the sound effects are still there ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link!

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 1:29pm

Post #18 of 21 (102 views)
Shortcut
This is one of the best tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

From the album. Can't stop listening to it! I'm probably wrong about this, but it almost sounds as if it has hints of Beorn's upcoming theme. There is something very woodsy and dangerous about it, but also wondrous.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 2:22pm

Post #19 of 21 (77 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the list [In reply to] Can't Post

I might download the alternate versions, okay, maybe not the Moon Runes one. Evil

percy
The Shire

Jan 16 2013, 2:36am

Post #20 of 21 (35 views)
Shortcut
A slight similarity I noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit that this may be a coincidence, but I couldn't help noticing a slight similarity between the melody of Pippin singing, "...the world ahead," and the dwarves singing "...Misty Mountains cold" (or any corresponding lyric from the other verses). Maybe it's just me, though.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 11:54am

Post #21 of 21 (28 views)
Shortcut
Good spot actually! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the melodies are very similar indeed for those lines. I doubt there is any significance to it but who knows! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.