Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn and bears

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 6:43pm

Post #1 of 13 (617 views)
Shortcut
Beorn and bears Can't Post

We all know from the book that a meeting of bears of all size happened near Beorn's house.

Do we know if this scene is going to be depicted ?

I think that PJ will have Beorn leading a vast army of bears, dogs, rams and giant bees during the BOFA. It would be awesome. Plus I think it's cool to have more animals taking part in Middle Earth battle, for example we know that a lot of animals fought on Dagorlad at the end of the Second Age

What do you think of it ?

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 13 (351 views)
Shortcut
Given that there are so many parallels between LOTR and AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I envision it being reminiscent of the gathering of Ents in TTT. (Obviously the actual subjects in the congregation will look drastically different, though.)

I'm also looking forward to crazy animal battles.

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 6:47pm

Post #3 of 13 (326 views)
Shortcut
beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

i never really like beorn in the book, felt like a bit of a stop gap and never really fit in with tolkines other stuff.

that said i think for the film it will be much more enjoyable. and a great visual feast.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 7:24pm

Post #4 of 13 (256 views)
Shortcut
Why do you think it will be better in the film? // [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 8:00pm

Post #5 of 13 (247 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

he is a strong character, visually for fighting in battles, its nice to see some of the other fauna of middle earth,works well with the eagles,rabbits , animal vibe i think the second film will need the slow safe opening of beorns house to start us off, stay safe from goblins etc.

in the tolkien mythology/ books, he just doesnt fit in anywhere, with anyone, never mentioned outside of the hobbit much, thats just my opinion.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 8:02pm

Post #6 of 13 (237 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be a bit odd if there's only Beorn in all of Middle-earth, with no other bear friends.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 8:17pm

Post #7 of 13 (222 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he works perfectly in the book. I do, however, understand your feelings about him not really fitting in anywhere. I nonetheless love the chapter in the book. It's a great respite from the goblins, yet it has it's own sense of danger.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Eurolock
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 5:20am

Post #8 of 13 (123 views)
Shortcut
I would prefer just Beorn at BOFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't want it looking too much like the end of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Me
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 8:09am

Post #9 of 13 (109 views)
Shortcut
That would be SWEET!!! I wish more people thought like you do. [In reply to] Can't Post

What about a couple of the spawns of Ungoliant thrown in the mix? That would bring a little more dread to the battle field wouldn't it?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 8:19am

Post #10 of 13 (102 views)
Shortcut
It would no longer be the Battle of the Five Armies though [In reply to] Can't Post

More like the Battle of Five Armies with a Mix of Several Hundred Other Animals.

Unimpressed

Me
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 8:36am

Post #11 of 13 (100 views)
Shortcut
It is the Battle of the five armies, not the Battle of the five creatures... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why are the spiders of middle earth such independent thinkers?...It would be cool to see them join forces with the goblin ranks...

Me
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 9:11am

Post #12 of 13 (88 views)
Shortcut
It would be sad, if he was the only bear of his kind... [In reply to] Can't Post

We should have more werebears in middle earth. How do you go wrong with more werebears anyways? There is some room for a little artistic liberty where that issue is concerned. Supposedly the goblins killed them all off. But I don't think that there is any way to be positively certain of that fact. Tolkien's world is very large and it is feasible that there would be another of his kind.

(This post was edited by Me on Jan 14 2013, 9:12am)

Me
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 13 (69 views)
Shortcut
This is a very good topic for discussion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Try to acknowledge the fact that Tolkien had a lot of respect for animals and creatures, in a similar way to C.S. Lewis. It would honor his memory quite well if people had an open mind regarding his mythology. His world is very vast, and expands a little farther than LOTR or UEJ. A little insightful thinking is appropriate and should be utilized in order to properly assess the lands and races which are very much apart of his world. Beorn would have had good reason to call upon his animals to fight in the BOFA. Just becouse it wasn't mentioned specifically doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Maybe Beorn just took a couple of beasts with him, but Tolkien didn't elaborate on it because it wasn't that much of a game changer. Tolkien's world is, very very large, and he is not able to tell us exactly what happened for every second of such a large battle. Beorn is someone that Tolkien cared to elaborate on, his character should be treated accordingly in the next two installments.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.