The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
LOTR "massive" software glitches

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 5:25pm

Post #1 of 20 (1270 views)
Shortcut
LOTR "massive" software glitches Can't Post

Hi guys... These last week I've been watching LOTR trilogy in my new 60" tv for the first time, blu ray that it, and it's been fascinating! The detail makes everything look even more real.

But as I was fascinated with the detail, looking around in some of the "massive" software shots, which by the way are amazingly detailed and very real, I noticed what can be say are bugs or glitches on the program:

First on some shots we can sometimes see two characters doing the exact same movements at the same time, and the fact that they are next to each others make it more noticeble.

Sometimes when a character is walking behind another the character from behind pass OVER the character from the front, very weirdly.

But the one that got more my attention is that in the first aerial shot of Helm's Deep, just after the arriving of Eowing, two hooded rohirim men can be seeing walking the stairs with their cape hood floating completely straight behind them, horizontally straight, very funny indeed.

So I was thinking, with the increase of TVs sizes nowadays, where you have an incredible freedom of seeing at any part of the image with stunning clarity, do you think would be worthy if PJ or the studio fix those kind of computer glitches?

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 5:30pm

Post #2 of 20 (765 views)
Shortcut
I'd be very interested in seeing screenshots (if you can get them, that is) :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard anyone noticing these before! Crazy

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 5:33pm

Post #3 of 20 (767 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the majority don't look at a specific individual just the general wide shot, but we have the freedom of watch at any point of the screen we want, so de increasing of the TV market and HD allow you to do it more widely.

I'll see what I can do. Don't have any software for that but maybe I can get some pictures directly from TV.

are there any collection of screencaps from the blurays in HD already anywere?

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Jan 13 2013, 5:39pm)

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 6:06pm

Post #4 of 20 (875 views)
Shortcut
here's a quick look [In reply to] Can't Post

this was from the DVD screencaps, but may help to look for it.

http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt0923.htm

The first rohan guard guy at the left bottom that can be seeing walking up the stairs about to enter to the upper level, that is one of those straight cape hood guys, the other is almost right behind him.

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Jan 13 2013, 6:09pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 3:43am

Post #5 of 20 (800 views)
Shortcut
I don't see it, but if you do, you are keenly observant. [In reply to] Can't Post

P.S. why does fake rock and stone still look so fake? This is true in AUJ as well. There is something about the texture and surface lighting that just screams fake.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 14 2013, 3:45am)

Beren0nehanded
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 3:20pm

Post #6 of 20 (706 views)
Shortcut
I can see this being very true . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

in Return of the King in the battle before Minas Tirith. The program they used there is so neat but I bet you could see the "copies" in that battle with your new television fairly easily.

Don't be hasty.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 3:28pm

Post #7 of 20 (685 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

...exactly.

With all this constantly increasing big and crystal clear new technology, I guess all those "little sins", as PJ called them, always hidden by darkness and low resolution, may now be a kind of a problem.

Tigero
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 4:48pm

Post #8 of 20 (688 views)
Shortcut
What? LOTR looks horrible from my 59'' screen if there are effects [In reply to] Can't Post

But all the organic model, landscape and actor shots make me drool.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 5:20pm

Post #9 of 20 (713 views)
Shortcut
on the contrary [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one can see the incredible work on the details they went, which I think is ultimately what defines credibility.

But of course the rendering is not as pristine as let say The Hobbit, which by the way has not perfect GCI neither, and by that view I think LOTR is not extremely different.

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 10:30pm

Post #10 of 20 (611 views)
Shortcut
you know I never see this stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Boromir's disappearing hand is sure hard to miss!

I'm not a fan of the idea of Jackson going back and fixing things, even the "hand" incident. I would put it in the same category of the idea of "colorizing" old black and white films. For me, the original look and feel of something are part of it, and changing those things means the new product is well, new and not the same thing. It's like a copy, rather than the original, I guess.

Weaver

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 10:37pm

Post #11 of 20 (598 views)
Shortcut
I've never noticed Boromir mislaying a hand...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 11:20pm

Post #12 of 20 (595 views)
Shortcut
well, I'll tell you when it happens if you really want to know! [In reply to] Can't Post

But let me warn you, once you see it you can't "unsee it"..

So I'll post it in a follow up reply to this one so you don't have to read it if you don't really want to!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 11:24pm

Post #13 of 20 (615 views)
Shortcut
here's where you can see the scene, no peeking if you don't want to know! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's during his death scene, which they filmed in two parts, once before and once after lunch, from the commentaries...

When the camera is focused on Boromir, looking down at him, he's shown gripping Aragorn's shoulder as they have that final conversation about "our people", etc.

When the camera is focused on Aragorn, his hand is no longer there, so it's very distracting if you happen to notice it. But most of the time, I try to focus on the actors and ignore it. And you can always watch it in widescreen so that the edges get cut off and Aragorn's shoulder is not even in the picture!

Weaver

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 11:44pm

Post #14 of 20 (589 views)
Shortcut
I decided to go ahead and read it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha, that's quite a funny error really Laugh I'll try not to be too distracted by it when I next watch FOTR!

I still find it hilarious that they do all that drama in the EE documentaries about how they had to reshoot the Grey Havens because of the afternoon when Sean Astin didn't wear his waistcoat... and yet there's a shot in the final film where he's not wearing it! Laugh

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 11:56pm

Post #15 of 20 (597 views)
Shortcut
well, at least I warned you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you could handle it ok!

I know there are other continuity errors, too but Boromir's hand is the only one I ever see...I've never seen Eomer lose his sword, for example, and I actually look for that one!

Weaver

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2013, 4:08am

Post #16 of 20 (661 views)
Shortcut
Magic horse [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed the disappearing hand until it was pointed out, but I always notice the magically appearing Nazgul horse which pops out from behind the tree the hobbits are hiding behind in the 'get off the road' scene.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 17 2013, 2:43pm

Post #17 of 20 (597 views)
Shortcut
I understand... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't need to be updating every movie I like after years. But for me the fact that there are now Hobbit movies, which supposedly takes place BEFORE LOTR and have better effects, is having me very frustrated.

I just watched The Hobbit yesterday again, for the last, and 5th time, and my God! Massive effects are sooooo much realistic, I can't bare that the better stories doesn't get that level of physical realism, specially when you watch them in HD and a really big screen. They even erase wig lines on actor's foreheads for The Hobbit, which is a another real problem with LOTR in HD, you can see the lace of the wigs with all the netting in many closeups. It's just not fair. Frown

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:34am

Post #18 of 20 (575 views)
Shortcut
got it... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are just talking about technical flaws, I'd be more favorable to that. But if you are talking George Lucas level changes, that kind of stuff really bothers me.

I guess there is something to be said for having old technology and bad eyes -- I can't see half the stuff that you can, so it doesn't bug me as much! But if I had a great set up and great eyes, I would feel your pain I am sure!

Weaver

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 2:47pm

Post #19 of 20 (576 views)
Shortcut
That has been a problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever since GL has been making all those changes to the ST trilogy, people asume that if a director wants to "fix" things it would be up to that level an reject it immediately. But no, I think LOTR trilogy need just some "makeup" for HD in the technical department, not in the edition one.

I hate myself because cinema being my passion in life ever since I've had memory made me to have well trained eyes now, and I can see every little thing in the image, details get my attention as magnet.

Still... big Tvs. and HD just let you see all those little detail without any effort. Which is not a good thing for a 10 year old very complex fantasy movie.

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:25am

Post #20 of 20 (665 views)
Shortcut
yes, the GL factor is at work here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hate it that I can't see, on DVD or Blu Ray, the original Star Wars trilogy the way I originally saw it. I have it on VHS, of course, but a lot of good that does me!

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you get a version that fixes all the things that bug you someday about the LOTR films, Oscarilbo. I really do!

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.