Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The finding of the Arkenstone

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 13 (707 views)
Shortcut
The finding of the Arkenstone Can't Post

Continuing in a series of observations about small scenes in AUJ that I unexpectedly loved, I have to discuss the finding of the Arkenstone in Erebor.

Personally, I found it rather surprising- I suppose I thought, while reading the book, that it would be a grander affair. Instead, in the film, we saw it from the perspective of that lone, dwarf miner - his face sweaty and dirtied from the difficulty and griminess of his work - and from his tired eyes slowly opening from beneath his helmet, we, the audience, immediately get a sense of how remarkable this gem is.

The attention to detail on the miner alone was very impressive to me, not to mention the giant caverns surrounding him. It was definitely one of those PJ-certified 'magic moments' that I'm glad we got to see on film. Smile

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

herzogian
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 5:10pm

Post #2 of 13 (399 views)
Shortcut
Miner [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed. One of the better little moments in the movie. Focusing of the lonely minder digging the arkenstone up was a good touch.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 5:28pm

Post #3 of 13 (374 views)
Shortcut
I loved the shot of the Dwarves mining [In reply to] Can't Post

That was spectacular. It would've been nice to keep the history of the Arkenstone true to the book, but I understand the need to increase it's importance to Throin.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 5:31pm

Post #4 of 13 (390 views)
Shortcut
the scene is cool, but I don't like the arkenstone [In reply to] Can't Post

it was too small and oval. I thought it would look like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rD3-w50RohU/UO4Cuj5hvbI/AAAAAAAADAQ/LjBLToB5x_4/s1600/donato_giancola_-_the_arkenstone.jpg

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 13 2013, 5:42pm

Post #5 of 13 (306 views)
Shortcut
How is it different from the book? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 5:53pm

Post #6 of 13 (313 views)
Shortcut
Giancola's art is superb [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anyone not yet seen his portrait of Tolkien released in December?

http://www.donatoart.com/gallery/jrrtolkienb.html

(This post was edited by RalphDamiani on Jan 13 2013, 5:54pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 5:53pm

Post #7 of 13 (320 views)
Shortcut
It was found by Thrain I himself [In reply to] Can't Post

Shortly after Erebor was established. In the film, it's found during Thror's reign, many hundreds of years after the book.

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 5:55pm

Post #8 of 13 (303 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with "PJ-certified magic moments"! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should be a registered trademark. I also loved how he goes from the spectacular, zoomed-out wide-scale view of the cavern to more zoomed-in details with each cut, the transition being so very natural, and when the camera closes in on the dwarf, isn't he suddenly the most important person in ME. You can tell PJ really cares about his major-minor characters and he's truly great at making the audience care for them, too.

Loved the candlestick flashlight.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 7:33pm

Post #9 of 13 (225 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't how I imagined, either. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the one you linked to. But I've always imagined it to look like the gems from the old Crash Bandicoot video games.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 7:40pm

Post #10 of 13 (221 views)
Shortcut
Very well-said! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I should mention that Ian Holm's narration during the scene is the cherry on top. Spellbinding.

I especially like the way he says 'the Arkenstone' with such wonder in his voice.

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

(This post was edited by Calenheniel on Jan 13 2013, 7:41pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 13 2013, 8:27pm

Post #11 of 13 (212 views)
Shortcut
Because of this, I can now picture [In reply to] Can't Post

how the Dwarves mined in Moria - from the FOTR EE scene with Merry (?) looking over the edge into the dark pit, and Pippin holding him back. Knowing the brightest and noise of an operative mine makes Moria feel more desolate than ever.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 8:38pm

Post #12 of 13 (197 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why, but I like that they actually show Bilbo writing the word 'Arkenstone'. But maybe that's just me Angelic.
(Besides liking Bilbo's handwriting in general)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

(This post was edited by The Prancing Pony on Jan 13 2013, 8:39pm)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 13 2013, 9:49pm

Post #13 of 13 (167 views)
Shortcut
The portrait is stunning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for this! I love the composition and all the little details on the papers, books, china, etc. (and the hidden eagles!)

I bought Donato's book of Tolkien-inspired art last year but had no idea he was planning a portrait of The Professor...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.