Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How will the critical verdict on HFR affect DOS and TABA?

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 1:28pm

Post #1 of 16 (647 views)
Shortcut
How will the critical verdict on HFR affect DOS and TABA? Can't Post

AUJ is significant in that it introduces a whole new format for cinema simaultaneously with launching a new Middle Earth movie trilogy. My impression from the very many (but not all ) critical reviews of AUJ were that it was not received well. It's debatable how much this format influenced the overall critique of the film. The idea has also been raised that there may have been technical deficiencies in some theaters that resulted in a less-than-ideal viewing for some critics. The HFR factor I think is fairly polarizing even among fans. So ...

Is WB committed to presenting DOS and TABA with the HFR format option? A comment from a studio exec at the NY premier did seem entirely supportive of this idea.

Will or should critics who dislike the HFR format see the next two movies in the traditional 2D or 3D because of their initial negative experience or are they obligated to see the HFR version? After all, PJ has repeatedly stated that HFR is the format he intended The Hobbit should be seen in.

If critics do opt out of HFR for the next two films, do you think these movies will be more "fairly" reviewed? Does the HFR format somehow magnify the movie's excesses (for those who feel it went OTT in some instances)?

What say you? I have no set opinion myself. I am just curious to see how it will play out.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 1:51pm

Post #2 of 16 (381 views)
Shortcut
My two cents [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that HFR isn't pushed as much with the next two, since a lot of AUJ's negative reviews were plainly about the HFR. Yeah, some critics/fans like it, but I think it shouldn't be pushed as much as it was coming right out of the gate. WB might tone it down in marketing, but I feel critics will still see the next two in HFR and still hate it, giving the last two unnecessary negative reviews based solely on technology it used, and not story/character-wise. I haven't seen the film in HFR. My viewing all consisted of 2D 24 fps, and I think all critics, no matter if they were positive of HFR, should view it as such so as not to be distracted by unnecessary things that will hinder their real review.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 1:53pm

Post #3 of 16 (375 views)
Shortcut
Critical opinions are irrelevant. [In reply to] Can't Post

The viewer opinions and the box office results make the choice. As far as I've followed, the HFR showings have been packed full and overall viewer opinion, while not groundbreaking, has been largely positive. In short, there's absolutely no reason to turn their backs to this massive investment at this point when it hasn't caused them any losses. It's actually more likely that the number of HFR showings will be increased for the later films, since there isn't such a great rush for the equipment and the technical expertise will have improved from the uneven first time.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 1:54pm

Post #4 of 16 (338 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

Why listen to a handful of critic opinions, when the general public have clearly shown they love the film? Seems absurd if anything changes.

Chopsta123
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 2:18pm

Post #5 of 16 (317 views)
Shortcut
I feel... [In reply to] Can't Post

critics who dislike the HFR format should see the next two movies in HFR simply because it gets more natural with every viewing. I saw the HFR version tree times now, and every time it got better and better (could also be that that third time was a better screen and sound). I forgot about the HFR by the third viewing and was totally convinced about its rightful place in the future.

Most critics wrote their review after the first (HFR) viewing, but I feel that seeing it only once is not enough to fully get used to it. I hope that those who really hated, went and saw HFR for a second time just to get used to it a little better.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 2:20pm

Post #6 of 16 (321 views)
Shortcut
It will have none on the studios... [In reply to] Can't Post

The movies have already been shot in 48fps, so they will release it. The only thing it might affect are the theater chains' willingness to change their equipment to show it that way. I think they will, especially since other directors, such as James Cameron, have already stated that they are committed to filming in HFR (he said he wanted to do 60fps for Avatar 2). I think it's here, critics are just going to have to get used to it.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 13 2013, 2:40pm

Post #7 of 16 (301 views)
Shortcut
In a year's time it won't be an issue [In reply to] Can't Post

The filming has already been done in HFR and the studio is already committed to it. Public reaction has been much more favourable than the initial critical one. They have a year to sort out any technical issues in the cinemas, and who's to say that there won't be other high frame rate films made. By December this won't be a novelty any more.

I don't think the critics will make any difference. The film has done well - and is still doing well - at the box office. That's what counts.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 4:55pm

Post #8 of 16 (238 views)
Shortcut
Do not understand why critics disliked it [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen it 6 times in HFR, and I'm at the point now that a regular film looks bad to me. For instance, I thought "Lincoln" looked very flat and unrealistic, like a filmed stage play. Now, it would have been interesting to see what "Life of Pi" would have looked like in 48 fps.

As for critical reaction, I almost got the feeling that critics glommed into the frame rate as a way to avoid talking about the movie. Some of the reviews were devoid of content, like they were written on a napkin (Edelstein in NY Mag comes to mind). And they focused on the trilogy aspect (for such a "slight" book). So on the one hand it would be interesting if they actually had to focus on the movie, not the tech, but I agree by December 48 fps will be old news. Some of them might actually have become converts by then.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 13 2013, 5:37pm

Post #9 of 16 (215 views)
Shortcut
"I thought 'Lincoln' looked very flat and unrealistic, like a filmed stage play" [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean that as a denigration of Janusz Kaminski's photography, or merely as a comment on a difference in styles? I would be saddened to learn it was the former, given that Lincoln's cinematography is first-rate work, as it would imply that you're no longer able to appreciate many decades of film -- including Andrew Lesnie's own work on The Lord of the Rings. Do those movies now look stagy to you?

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 5:59pm

Post #10 of 16 (193 views)
Shortcut
The only way HFR will effect the next two films is [In reply to] Can't Post

the critics will be shown the film at 24fps

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 5:59pm

Post #11 of 16 (182 views)
Shortcut
I don't know that it was the cinematography [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather, I think it was the actual staging. So when I say "flat," I think it was more how the scenes were set up for filming, and that they did not pull me into the action. I also found this in "Amistad," so maybe it is how Spielberg sets his historical films. What I did enjoy in "Lincoln" were individual performances, more than the movie as a whole.

But I am also not an expert, so as a regular plebe filmgoer, I will say that nothing about the filming in Lincoln made me sit back and go "wow!" That may be a function of lack of knowledge on my part, knowing what to look for in lighting, etc. You have got me thinking, though: one of my neighbors is an award winning DP, so I may pick his brain to see what his take on 48 fps is. It would be good to have an insider's viewpoint.

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 6:03pm

Post #12 of 16 (189 views)
Shortcut
Totally agreed on the staging [In reply to] Can't Post

Did not help that the film itself was pretty boring and unengaging, aside from some very good performances by the lead actors. Felt more like a made-for-TV documentary than a film, IMO.

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 6:07pm

Post #13 of 16 (178 views)
Shortcut
I haven't heard much negative feedback from general audiences, so... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling that although it may not be so heavily pushed with critics, it will still be available in even more theatres for DOS as tech. gets cheaper (I assume). Anyway I love HFR, will be very disappointed if it goes the way of Smell-O-Vision.

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 6:54pm

Post #14 of 16 (172 views)
Shortcut
well considering that the top two directors are filming it at HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

(and as someone pointed out, James Cameron is taking it another level at 60fps in Avatar 2), I think the critics are just going to have to get a grip. I think a lot of it has to do with the 3D format as much as the HFR. Generally I would think that if someone didn't like 3D, they wouldn't like the movie either in HFR or in the normal 24fps. It's a shame they already have such a negative attitude about this format, as I really think it will color their perceptions of the next two films.

Although yes, the fans have spoken as opposed to the critics in terms of how well they are receiving the film, I do think that many people (strange as it may seem) let reviewers' opinions color their decision not only about whether they will go to see a film at all, but whether they will like it or not. Furthermore I think that the future films will suffer in advance because the critics wouldn't want to change their minds about how they reacted initially to the HFR show. You know, professional pride and all that foolishness.So no, I don't think the next two films will be 'fairly' reviewed by the critics.

Perhaps the movie producers, if they are smart, won't make such a big deal out of advertising the HFR format though. High expectations always have the possibility of equally high disappointments.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 13 2013, 8:06pm

Post #15 of 16 (153 views)
Shortcut
The primary weakness of LINCOLN, as in THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, is the screenplay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lincoln is by far the better film (I'll add "in my opinion", though I shouldn't need to, because "better" can only be opinion) but it's somewhat amorphous and bloated. I read somewhere that Tony Kushner originally wrote a screenplay for a five-hour film, almost twice as long as the finished product. Reshaping that may have contributed to the film's structural flaws. On the other hand, almost every scene is excellent, and the central performance is one for the ages. In the latter respect, Lincoln is like Richard Attenborough's Gandhi, though Daniel Day-Lewis is even better than Ben Kingsley was. And I try to bear in mind some comments I read, by a professional screenwriter about Titanic. Yes, he said, much of the dialogue and melodramatic plotting was weak, but he nonetheless thought the script achieved greatness because of its brilliant structure. The reverse would seem to be true of Lincoln.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 8:35pm

Post #16 of 16 (126 views)
Shortcut
Spot on about the script. [In reply to] Can't Post

It felt as if the film just dropped the audience into a particular point of time with no historical context (Mary Todd Lincoln's illness and her spendthrift habits, Lincoln's former support of slavery) and that was a big barrier to enjoyment for me.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.