Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My Geeky Observations... it's a start :)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 9:43pm

Post #151 of 193 (219 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the advice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I sat where my daughter suggested :) It was still pretty awesome, I like not being too close, but will try your suggestion next time!

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 10:27pm

Post #152 of 193 (240 views)
Shortcut
Here's your excuse :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is the troll sword/knife, and it looks to me just like the second sword Frodo takes out of Bilbo's chest (that really doesn't sound right, but I mean the box, not Bilbo's body!) The broken-off tip is what makes me think it is the same:

(screencap from the trailer--just to make sure I give credit where credit's due:)

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Jan 12 2013, 10:35pm)

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 11:08pm

Post #153 of 193 (207 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the suggestion! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to see it in IMAX tomorrow and was wondering where to sit(but didn't want to annoy the forum here by starting a post asking where to sit). Now I know what seat to pick when they show me the seating chart. Cool

malla
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 11:55pm

Post #154 of 193 (212 views)
Shortcut
IMAX seating [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to see it in IMAX tomorrow and was wondering where to sit(but didn't want to annoy the forum here by starting a post asking where to sit). Now I know what seat to pick when they show me the seating chart.

Every IMAX theater is a bit different.....but generally you don't want to be too close and being too far back isn't all that great either. My IMAX is a nice size....forget how many it holds and I should know this, I walk past the sign that tells you that number several times a week, lol. It has what is called stadium seating. The rows get wider as they go up from the screen. There are three sections, going from bottom to top. When you walk in there is a bottom section of about 5 or so rows. A walkway divides the next section that has a railing in front of the 1st row. Again, I should know how many rows there are, but for now lets say 10, maybe 12. Behind that there is a walkway, which is very wide. The third, back section has about the same number of rows, maybe a few more, I do know how many seats there are in the first row of the third section....hee hee. Cause thats where I sit! Smack dab in the middle.... 17th seat coming from either side.Wink I like this seat for a few reasons. It's in the middle. It has that large leg room because the isle is so wide. and lastly....its MY seat!!! I know...it really isn't mine, but I call it mine. I sit there for all the movies I see in IMAX, especially the midnight movies. (I have "my seat"s in the other 23 houses as well, Tongue) And how do I get my seat all the time?? Well, let's just say that I've been going to this theater since it was built in 1998, and the staff all know me as the crazy lady who camps out for midnight shows...Blush But this post has gotten way too long already, I've rambled on too much and that's another way too long story....so I'll end here.

Enjoy IMAX...3D, larger screen, better picture and better sound!

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 12:01am

Post #155 of 193 (252 views)
Shortcut
Stone Giants [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had read Gramma's list the other day and then just went for viewing #4 last night keeping in mind to pay special attention to Thorin, Fili, and Kili during the Stone Giant scene. I'm absolutely certain of the following:
Kili has one foot on each stone giant leg. As the stone giant legs separate, his feet start to separate as well and he goes to the right of the audience.
Fili, on our left, says to Kili, "Grab my hand", but the giant moved too fast to allow this.
When it appears that Kili and the other Dwarves on the stone giant leg on the right of the screen are smashed and killed, Thorin screams "Kili" a couple times.
When we see that the Dwarves to the right of the screen are not killed, we hear, "They're alive!" and Thorin rushes towards them saying, with great relief, "Kili".

so, I believe you are mistaken, unless I have misunderstood you.

Gramma, this is a fantastic list! It gave me specific things to look for on my 4th viewing that I may not have noticed yet. I haven't posted much in years and years and years but I remember your dedication and prolific posting. :-)

IMO the other poster is correct. FILI is the one with the group on the moving giant that crashes into the mountain. You can actually SEE Fili there when they come around the corner to view the group. Kili is on the stable ledge, Fili is the one pulled away.

I think the reason it is confusing is because at first BOTH groups are on one of the giants knees, one on the left knee and one on the right knee, split between Kili and Fili, thus the rather emotional scene where they are pulled away from each other BUT then the giant's knee on the right side of the screen(easier to say that than trying to figure out if it's the right or left knee of the giant with all that movement going on:)) hits the mountain again and a whole group of them, which starts with Thorin and ends with Kili, scrambles off the knee and onto a relatively stable ledge.

However the group on the other knee has no such opportunity. In fact there is a brief bit, after Thorin's group scrambles onto the ledge off the giant's knee, where you actually see Kili, who is still at the end of the Thorin's group, watching the giant move away again obviously he'd be most concerned about his brother.

So yes Fili is the one with the group on the giant's knee that crashes into the side of the mountain which at first Thorin and his group fear have been crushed.

The group on that knee were Dwalin, Bofur, Bombur, Ori and Fili. I've got a screen cap, I'm looking right at it and it's plain as day who that group were. Bilbo was with them too but he ended up hanging off the ledge so he isn't in the screen cap. I'd post but we're not allowed to.

I'm willing to put down the confusion between Kili and Fili to the fact that possibly a) Thorin didn't know who exactly was in the group on the knee and as Kili was at the very end of the group that had managed to get off the giant, he didn't realize it yet so assumed Kili was there b) Thorin knew who was on the Giant but was calling Kili to come to him in order for them to deal with whatever had happened together and because Kili is the most nimble and thus if there was any sort of difficulty in reaching any survivors he might be the most immediately useful(Thorin calls on Kili quite often so this wouldn't be surprising) c) it's just the effects of all the noise going and when Thorin sounds like he's saying "oh Kili" he's actually saying "oh Fili" but it's hard to tell because the names are so similar.
d) Dialogue mistake they somehow missed and so it was never fixed because even they can't keep the dwarves straight...Kili..Fili...Fili...Kili, they're practically the same anyway and they couldn't remember which one was supposed to be nearly crushed. :).

Another reason it might be confusing is because at one point early in the scene Kili IS next to Bofur, it's when Bofur's looking out at the Stone Giants with his head further out than the rest of the group. However at some point he moves ahead and Fili ends up between Kili and Bofur.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jan 13 2013, 12:09am)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 2:16am

Post #156 of 193 (252 views)
Shortcut
Radagast's Remedies [In reply to] Can't Post

I was watching Radagast's attempts to save poor Sebastian the hedgehog after being poisoned by the spider, and these are remedies I remember seeing him try before he used his crystal:

• Something out of a spoon--I didn't quite see where he got the ingredients from.
  • A ball made of twigs or straw with small tubes of wood that Radagast used it to blow smoke on Sebastian (no Old Toby this time I think).
  • The small glass bottle with red liquid, Radagast put some on his fingertip for Sebastian to take.

Does anyone remember any others (especially grammaboodawg:)?
I noticed in his house Radagast had some dried herbs hanging, lots of little bottles and crocks, and even some fungi (?) growing on the tree branches his house is built around.

I'm afraid I got a little sad at this scene, Radagast looked like he was close to tears about losing his friend. I know, it's only a movie, but still Frown!

Geeky observation

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Jan 13 2013, 2:23am)

malla
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 5:59am

Post #157 of 193 (253 views)
Shortcut
Radacast remedies [In reply to] Can't Post

there is the small wooden bowl that he taps with wooden pestle. Anyway, he looks at the bowl, guessing it looks empty, because he tosses it.

And the chop stick thingies with something in it that he tries to give Sebastian . At least it kind looks like chopsticks...but could be just a stick with two prong fork at end.

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

(This post was edited by malla on Jan 13 2013, 6:04am)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 6:11pm

Post #158 of 193 (173 views)
Shortcut
I checked again, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's definitely a pastry he's eating as he goes out for the mail. When he goes off with his book, he only has the book.
Did anyone notice the basket of apples by Bilbo's front door? Both red and green ones are visible.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 6:14pm

Post #159 of 193 (176 views)
Shortcut
I checked this part again, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you can definitely see the pig tail braid on top of his head. I never did see Balin in that scene, though. Doesn't mean he's not there! Crazy Still a great shot with very cool looking stick work. Smile

The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 6:17pm

Post #160 of 193 (184 views)
Shortcut
Kili and Fili are the first dwarves out of the trees following Bilbo's attempt to help Thorin against the orcs. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 7:57pm

Post #161 of 193 (190 views)
Shortcut
Bifur uses sign language quite a bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely notice in Bag End when he does that arm thing to Gandalf. I think he uses it when he's showing somebody the animal skull outside the troll hoard. I also think it's after the Thunder Battle, right after Bilbo is hauled up off the edge of the cliff, that you can see Bifur in the background using sign language to communicate to some of the other dwarves (sorry, can't remember who). Perhaps the ax injury affected his ability to speak.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 8:10pm

Post #162 of 193 (194 views)
Shortcut
If I remember rightly ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bifur is showing Kili the skull (and a gold? cup). Dori and Ori are also passing around a cup (I think).

Good catch on the cliffs. I'll look out for that. Cool

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 8:25pm

Post #163 of 193 (206 views)
Shortcut
Skull and cup [In reply to] Can't Post

If I remember correctly, Bifur is trying to hand the skull off to Kili and keep the gold cup :)

Also, in Bag-End when the Dwarves are having their animated discussion (I don't quite remember what they were talking about, perhaps going to Erebor?), Bifur is doing something with his fingers, like he's describing something in sign language.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 8:52pm

Post #164 of 193 (162 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw it again this afternoon, and it is a pastry. He pops the last of it in his mouth as he gets the mail.

namarie
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 8:58pm

Post #165 of 193 (181 views)
Shortcut
I've whatched this scene more than once and [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is shouting "Kili!" but Fili is the one who's on the giant knee that gets crushed into the mountain. Kili is on the same side as Thorin. He is the last one in the group just behind Dori. He can be clearly seen when Ori and Bofur are trying to save Bilbo.( Or at least I see him Smile )

Why did Thorin shouts Kili even though Fili is the one who is in danger?
If it's a mistake and RA shouted the wrong name I hope they will fix it on the DVD.
If not, was Thorin shouting Kili's name because he wanted to make him aware that something bad might happened to his brother?

I find this scene quite confusing.

“The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!”

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 9:09pm

Post #166 of 193 (177 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

If it really was a mistake, I hope the don't change it. (I love all the confusion it has caused Smile)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

(This post was edited by The Prancing Pony on Jan 13 2013, 9:11pm)

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 9:10pm

Post #167 of 193 (166 views)
Shortcut
As do a lot of people [In reply to] Can't Post

Did Thorin mistakenly think that Kili was on the other ledge? Is he just used to yelling out "Kili", since he seems to do that a bit? Was he calling back to Kili as a warning, or perhaps for him to rush forward to help?

It seems that if Richard made the mistake, the crew would have caught it and either film it again, or have Richard come in and dub "Fili" over the vocal error. The mouth movement would have matched.

No answer has yet been forthcoming, so all we have is speculation.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 9:39pm

Post #168 of 193 (164 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I forgot the chopsticks, [In reply to] Can't Post

and the bowl and pestle.

I think the most intriguing was the smoke-blower-thing. Radagast must have been using an herbal mixture, maybe a wild tobacco or mullein. Most of the smoke remedies I'm familiar with are used as lung soothers or antiseptics.

Cynhild

Jan 13 2013, 9:45pm

Post #169 of 193 (173 views)
Shortcut
With Dwalin right behind them [In reply to] Can't Post

malla
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 10:39pm

Post #170 of 193 (175 views)
Shortcut
Bifur's hand gestures [In reply to] Can't Post

I said this a few days ago...

i) And what are all those silly hand gestures that Bifur is doing during the burglar conversation at the dining table??? Gotta love him !!!

.....laugh each time I see him do this....wonder whar's going through his mind...lol

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 10:47pm

Post #171 of 193 (158 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I remember someone mentioning it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I lose track of the posts sometimes!

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 10:54pm

Post #172 of 193 (159 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf women [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed several of them this time around. There are, at least, three in Dale. They're shorter, and their hair rises much higher than the human women. Then you see many of them in the "Exodus" scene. Look for anyone who's actually wearing a skirt, since the Dwarf women wear long skirts. But you have to really look sharp, as the scene goes by fast. Also, when Thorin yells "Dragon" into the hall, you see one or two women down below(again, look for the long skirts).

And this time, I work the 3D IMAX goggles over my glasses. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but after a couple of minutes, I didn't notice it. Cool

malla
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 12:33am

Post #173 of 193 (165 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I lose track of the posts sometimes!

that's easy enough to do....Smile

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 15 2013, 12:16am

Post #174 of 193 (118 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to you both :D Now the question is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Blueberry? Strawberry? Apple? Boysenberry? ;)

Yes, AE! I've got the green/red apples in the new list... and ran right to the story to get me a bag of EACH!

THANKS LOTS!

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 15 2013, 12:40am

Post #175 of 193 (134 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.