PJ Confirmed to Direct 2 Hobbit Films in 3D
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

calisuri
PTB

Dec 1 2007, 2:03am

Post #1 of 64 (3736 views)
Shortcut
PJ Confirmed to Direct 2 Hobbit Films in 3D Can't Post

Jackson Hobbit in 3dWhat?! Yea - that's what we said. A website called MarketSaw is reporting that Peter Jackson is confirmed to be directing two films based on 'The Hobbit' and both will be presented in 3D format. Then, after The Hobbit films are released (2010,2011 respectively), the original trilogy will be converted to 3D after the release of the two Hobbit Films. Let's not get too excited quite yet. If we judge this website based on the amount of junk advertising, we can pretty much write this off as an unconfirmed pipe-dream. But, ya never know! On a personal note, the PJ directing The Hobbit sounds great to me...the 3D, not so much. Check out the full story over at MarketSaw. [PJ Directing Hobbit Rumor]

The Mysterious Calisuri

(This post was edited by calisuri on Dec 1 2007, 2:03am)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2007, 4:38am

Post #2 of 64 (2206 views)
Shortcut
um...*twitch*? [In reply to] Can't Post

As skeptical as I am about the veracity of this report, when I clicked on the link I couldn't help but get excited about it. The 3D aspect doesn't get me so worked up just because I haven't seen any 3D movies. It's just the thought that maybe things are getting underway that gets my heart thumping!Heart

Where's Frodo?

Patty
Immortal

Dec 1 2007, 4:40am

Post #3 of 64 (2151 views)
Shortcut
Hoo-flippin-ray! [In reply to] Can't Post

Man, I hope this is true. And 3D? YES!!! And then the Rings films in 3D? SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I just wish it weren't so far away...

Admins...this needs to move to main forum.

For Gondor!

(This post was edited by Patty on Dec 1 2007, 4:44am)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2007, 5:04am

Post #4 of 64 (2155 views)
Shortcut
I have been checking this blog regularly... [In reply to] Can't Post

For some months now. He was the first one that reported EW's cover, and I have seen him write about many of the rumours that have gone out a couple days earlier than the rest of the sites.

I wouldn't risk my life on it, but he seems trustworthy. Apparently he DOES have Hollywood connections. He mentioned he was an extra in an upcoming movie, and seems to get lots of info about computer-related matters in movies.

I would say this is probably true... let's hope so!

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

[url=http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=44439#44439]Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2007, 5:07am

Post #5 of 64 (2161 views)
Shortcut
Well, PJ is on record [In reply to] Can't Post

as saying he wants to develop 3D films as the norm. That part of the item, more than anything else, makes me wonder if this is more than just smoke being blown in our eyes.

Hmmm....

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2007, 5:19am

Post #6 of 64 (2066 views)
Shortcut
Modified rapture! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
As long as Fran and Philippa are around to make sure PJ doesn't get carried away with his 3D effects to the detriment of the story, I'm all for it!

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 1 2007, 5:19am)

Annael
Immortal

Dec 1 2007, 5:46am

Post #7 of 64 (2104 views)
Shortcut
I'm telling you [In reply to] Can't Post

the next version of TLOTR is going to be holographic!

It is above all by the imagination that we achieve perception and compassion and hope.
- Ursula Le Guin

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 1 2007, 7:02am

Post #8 of 64 (2139 views)
Shortcut
3-D [In reply to] Can't Post

Having seen Beowulf in 3-D, I profoundly hope this is NOT true, and that PJ isn't turning into the next George Lucas (how many SW fans have decried the effect that saturation of CGI in the SW films 1-3 "ruined" the realism of the SW universe, and had a detrimental effect on the acting. TOO MUCH looking at tennis balls instead of people, and it shows.) I'm not a 2nd Trilogy hater, but there is a big difference.

3-D would be great for doing backgrounds, etc, and there are shots in Beowulf that clearly owe to LOTR's scenes of Mordor and Isengard, and I have remarked before on how Zemekis's Dragon set the standard for all others to follow, but where 3-D really hurts a film is in the quality of the acting. 3-D serves mo-cap performances of actors portraying non-human or fantastical elements very well, such as Gollum or Grendel--who came off surprisingly well, a creature of real feeling and almost a sympathetic character, even if all he does is mostly yell for communication.

But what mo-cap can NEVER capture is the fluid elasticity, the intricate and complex and subtle motions of the human face working, in all its glory. 3-D cannot capture sweat, or pain, or exhaustion, or even real joy. Sadness, perhaps....but there comes a moment when no matter how good it is, you end up thinking, "this is all computer." It's difficult to imagine Sam and Frodo's scenes on Mount Doom, Arwen's vision of Eldarion, Boromir's death scene, Faramir's flashback to Osgiliath, and Gandalf and Bilbo at odds over the Ring at Bag End, in 3-D. It is simply impossible. I'm not being an old you know what, or a Luddite. Because it simply can't be mo-capped, emotion like that can't be pre-packaged. It has to come from the tension and drama of live actors on a set, doing 18 takes in a row, and urged to do yet even better after "Cut!" until you get that second wind and out of the depths of frustration or whatever, you HAVE to give your absolute all. And like I said, for the pure fantasy elements, it MIGHT work, but not otherwise. For the reason that technology has not yet evolved (and probably never will), to a point where the human face doesn't look stiff and wooden. At this point, even Fran will not be able to do it.

And as with anything Tolkien (or any great fantasy), the thing that makes it real and believable is the emotion.

Plus, I have to admit, Middle-Earth won';t be "real" to me if it is rendered in 3-D. It has to be real wild countryside filmed on film. PJ will be treading a thin and dangerous enough line as it is in trying to decide how "childish" to keep the story. he does not need 3-D to dumb it down even further. Middle-Earth must be REAL to be real, if you get my drift. Now if he can find a way to creatively blend the two, maybe. Like a bit of tinkering with the Eagles scenes or distant shots of Mirkwood, maybe. But to me, the glory of the Trilogy is that it is presented as just as real as real history, and that means the old-fashioned treatment.

Again, this is an opinion totally based on my seeing Beowulf in 3-D. I wish PJ had been in charge of that, we would have gotten something decent and grown-up. But all the time I was watching it I couldn't help comparing it to LOTR and how LOTR would have looked with this same technology, and with no onscreen actors. Obviously many may think otherwise, this is all IMO.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 1 2007, 7:12am)

Owlyross
Rohan

Dec 1 2007, 8:42am

Post #9 of 64 (2078 views)
Shortcut
3D doesn't mean computer generated [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that PJ has been working with advanced high definition cameras (RED cameras), testing them for the manufacturers http://starwaypictures.blogspot.com/...s-crossing-line.html

And 3D technology is coming on big time. At the university where I work, there is advanced research going on which could make 3D television a reality. I see this news with hope, but also with a critical distance. I'll wait till something concrete is announced before getting too excited.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Dec 1 2007, 10:11am

Post #10 of 64 (2023 views)
Shortcut
I like the sound of this [In reply to] Can't Post

The 3D challenge sounds like something that would get PJ's creative juices running for this project. We know from experience that he loves new technologies not for their own sake but because they let him tell stories in new ways. This sounds like a great way to bring The Hobbit to life. And I'm even more hopeful now that Owlyross has explained a bit about what 3D really is, and how PJ is already testing the technique. Even if it turns out not to be true, it ought to be true!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 1 2007, 12:28pm

Post #11 of 64 (2032 views)
Shortcut
Maybe.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost forget that Beowulf was shown in theaters in 2D too. I guess my concern is not so much over 3D technology, but people sacrificing actors like lambs on the altars of profit--so many of the people who like to push technologies like mo-cap, CGI, etc, talk in terms of cutting back on actors' costs (get rid of the $20 million anchor dragging your franchise's profitabilty down!) Which I find ironic since, to me, CGI is often much more expensive than actors.

If what this site means is that Jackson will be filming The Hobbit film(s) the traditional way, the same way he filmed LOTR, and with a couple mo-capped characters, but has found a way to present that traditionally filmed version both in 2D and advanced 3D format that will enhance such elements as settings, and creatures but will retain the 2D look of the actors (in other words, 2D actors with 3D backgrounds) then that would be GREAT! And if that's the case, LOTR in 3D will be very exciting! But I don't like the full "300" look either (real actors against totally CGI backgrounds. Like I said before, Middle Earth is an ORGANIC place.

But this "3D is the way of the future" should be better explained. Becuase I'm not as yet convinced it will be. Remember, even though we had Harryhuasen and so many others doing great special effects work before George Lucas, it can be said that it was Lucas who pioneered the use of special effects, and CGI with his SW work. Cameron and everyone else after 77 followed in his footsteps. And if you take a few steps back and consider what the increased use of realistic special effects has done to the quality of films in Hollywood and what gets greenlit and marketed--if you REALLY put on your thinking cap about this--you will have to admit that the results over the past 30 yrs have been decidedly mixed. If CGI has had that much of an effect on the kinds of films that get made, what would the widespread impact of 3D be? I'm not against 3D, I'm just saying you have to be wary of today's cut-throat MBA mentality and what will keep the stockholders happy. Sure, go ahead, but there will be a price to be paid.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 1 2007, 12:32pm)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Dec 1 2007, 12:47pm

Post #12 of 64 (2034 views)
Shortcut
That's the problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree that Hollywood these days seems to be all about cutting costs and trying to make maximum profits out of us punters by selling us flashy, meretricious rubbish. It seems to be working pretty well, because if our local multiplex is anything to go by, most moviegoers seem to be kids looking for mindless entertainment, not people looking for something serious to watch. And the more the kids take over the multiplex, the less we adults are going to feel like going there.

I'm hearing a lot of criticism about CGI-heavy movies, because they do seem to be made just to show off the CGI, and nobody seems to care whether there's any plot, or heart, or meaning, providing the flash and noise factor is high.

That's where I'm still hoping that Jackson is different from the pack. I didn't get impression that Jackson was taking this approach with LotR, despite the use of CGI (although some people think he was starting to overdo it in RotK, I know).

I'm hoping that Jackson, more than anyone else, might find a way to use 3D in a creative way, to tell a story, not just to cover up the lack of one. The Hobbit isn't LotR - it doesn't have the transcendent themes, or the adult, emotionally-real relationships between characters, to give it weight. It's really a light-hearted children's story with some deeper themes hidden within it, and if Jackson can find a way with 3D to give us another, even more "realistic" vision of Middle-earth, I for one will be lining up to see it - even if I do have to fight my way through the video-game terminals and the jostling kids at my local multiplex to get there! Tongue

(On a possibly related point, I've always wondered whether Jackson's refusal to take on The Hobbit on New Line's terms might be a sign that he won't let a studio dictate to him. I think the reason he wouldn't settle his suit by making a deal that included The Hobbit is because he would have no independence under those terms. I think he was clever enough - and far enough away! - to keep the studio off his back with LotR, and I don't think he'll be making The Hobbit unless he has the independence he needs. That way, he can focus on using special effects in the service of the story, not just to get kids to part with their money!)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Dec 1 2007, 3:37pm

Post #13 of 64 (1988 views)
Shortcut
I Hope So!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did go back and look at the MartketSaw site. I want to believe this, but MarketSaw seems even more fanboyish than AICN (though AICN tends to be right).

I hope we hear something for sure soon!

Certainly, handling The Hobbit as a 3D project would be way, way cool.

Until The Hobbit production issues are resolved, boycottnewline.com

Patty
Immortal

Dec 1 2007, 4:24pm

Post #14 of 64 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I would definitely trust PJ , Fran and Phillipa to see that the emotion of the stories come through.

We're not talking Beowulf here, nor Monster House nor The Incredibles nor any of the other 3D by CGI only generated movies.

I'm really excited by this. As I said before, I just wish it weren't so far off.

For Gondor!

barahliofrohan
Rivendell

Dec 1 2007, 4:24pm

Post #15 of 64 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Hope this is real! [In reply to] Can't Post

This would be wonderful.

Peter Jackson to do the movie is wonderful. I don't even need the 3D and all that stuff.

What I saw on Beowulf, I was not impressed with the MoCap technology.

Barahli of Rohan

Westu Eomer hal!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2007, 4:40pm

Post #16 of 64 (2023 views)
Shortcut
Owlyress is quite right,,, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know that PJ has been working with advanced high definition cameras (RED cameras), testing them for the manufacturers http://starwaypictures.blogspot.com/...s-crossing-line.html

And 3D technology is coming on big time. At the university where I work, there is advanced research going on which could make 3D television a reality. I see this news with hope, but also with a critical distance. I'll wait till something concrete is announced before getting too excited.

It doesn't mean CGI... it means you put your glasses on and you feel orc blood flying towards your face. Wink I do not think it's a bad idea per se, but I would like a 2D version. Come to think of it, not all theaters will have 3D by 2010, so I'm thinking there'll be a 2D version too. That is more likely when you think your TV will take sometime to finally be fully 3D.

Anyway... I have to speak up for the site again... hoping I won't look bad then. But this Jim Dorey guy is on the money more often than not, and his coverage is pretty behind the scenes.

As for Beowulf... it was a good movie in my opinion. CGI is still choppy I agree with you all there, but photorealism has reached new heights... there are some face close-ups where I could have said it was Sir Anthony Hopkins himself, and not just a 3D model. And I saw it in 2D...

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

[url"http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=44439#44439"]Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 1 2007, 5:58pm

Post #17 of 64 (1989 views)
Shortcut
3D [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a movie about sea life in 3D at an imax movie theater. It was spectacular! absolutely spectacular. But I suspect it was filmed with special 3D cameras. The fish would appear to swim among the people in the audience, that is... some looked closer to me than the people sitting a few rows up. The only disconcerting part was the fish would disappear as it swam past people sitting in front of me because, of course, the fish was not closer to me than that person, it was farther away from me.

I saw Harry Potter OP in 3D at the same Imax movie and it was not spectacular. It was, in fact, annoying to the point of aggravation. I could go on about it (and I think I did in an old movie thread here) but the gist of it was, although the set looked okay, the characters were blurry. I tried changing the angle the glasses had to the screen but nothing helped. It actively interfered with my ability to enjoy those scenes and I will never see another movie (like this) in 3D unless there is something to convince me that it is handled differently than HP O/P was. I haven't seen Beowulf and I don't plan to - even for $3 second run, let alone $15 3D. So I can't say whether the technology was handled any better. But converting CG characters and real characters into 3D seems to be two different processes to me. CG characters could, I presume, be rendered from two slightly different angles in the computer. Real characters have to be filmed from two slightly different angles. Was HP's 3D scenes filmed from two different angles or was the 3D effect applied to an image captured by a regular camera after the fact?

Windfola
The Shire

Dec 1 2007, 6:15pm

Post #18 of 64 (1952 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

This may be true or not, but you know, everyone could come up with news like that. Jackson's interest in 3D is not a secret, the idea of making two movies out of the Hobbit either (thought this was originally MGM's idea not New Lines if I remeber well). The rumored release dates are total BS though - Lovely Bones and Tin Tin pretty much quarantee PJ won't start filming till 2011, especially if these are two movies and Jackson will be writing the script with Fran and Philippa.

I have mixed feelings about Hobbit being two movies, on one hand I know money is the main reason behind the idea, but I actually do prefer two relatively short films (close to 2h or less) rather than a 3 hour movie with many scenes cut out and left for the extended DVD.

As for the tone of the film, I think the beginning of the FOTR might be a good indicator of what a PJ hobbit might be like.

Unspoken_Request
Bree

Dec 1 2007, 7:09pm

Post #19 of 64 (1972 views)
Shortcut
Very much worried about 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there. I'm an old time-lurker (from before FOTR was even released) and I posted a bit a long time ago.

I just wanted to say that I'm worried about 3D. Everytime I went to see a 3D movie, I ended up with a major headache and I know I'm not alone in this situation.

I hope they at least give the viewers the choice to watch it in the format they want. I want 2D.

Also, I don't want PJ to have 3D on his mind everytime he chooses how to film a scene. I'm worried, it might have an effect on the type of shots he'll choose. For instance, we all know PJ likes to move the camera a lot during panoramic or action sequence. Some fight scenes in LOTR are sometimes a bit hard to understand because of this preference of his. I'm worried that the 3D format will wet PJ's appetite for camera effects and movements.
Maybe these movements will look great in 3D, but how are they going to translate in 2D
These kind of decisions might be detrimental to those attached to the traditional way to watch movies.
I want Middle Earth to look the same from The hobbit to ROTK. I want continuity.

Sorry for the rather negative post. In the end, if this is true, it'll still be pretty good news that PJ will finally direct the Hobbit (means more continuity). I just hope he chooses continuity of the overall saga over the new "flavor-of-the-month technological gadget".

(This post was edited by Unspoken_Request on Dec 1 2007, 7:12pm)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2007, 7:18pm

Post #20 of 64 (1985 views)
Shortcut
On 3-D becoming standard: [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked the way it worked for the most recent Harry Potter film. As UT and I walked out of the movie, I said I hoped this would become the norm for fantasy, children's, and action films. I could see it being a distraction, though, in a drama or romance. Like any other filmmaking tool, directors should use it judiciously.

We might go see the 3-D Beowulf this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, although I hear some other aspects of the film (CGI and storyline) could be better.

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

(This post was edited by Galadriel on Dec 1 2007, 7:24pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2007, 8:10pm

Post #21 of 64 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Oh for Pete's Sake! WHAT!? [In reply to] Can't Post

*twitch* OMG! I want to believe this so much!1 Has anyone heard anything from AICN!? Quint? Harry!? If it doesn't come from here or AICN, it's not real!

I get the feeling this is right! I've always felt like the films would be done in 2009....

GEEZ! It's going to happen... and soon... so this ;might be it!! *hyperventilates!*

I don't care if these films are done in 3D, HD or with crayons on a paper bag... I WANT THEM DONE BY PETER AND I WANT THEM NOW!

CRIPES!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Patty
Immortal

Dec 1 2007, 8:13pm

Post #22 of 64 (1936 views)
Shortcut
Ah, this is what I have been waiting for! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma's twitch!

But I draw the line at crayons on a paper bag.Laugh

For Gondor!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2007, 8:16pm

Post #23 of 64 (1966 views)
Shortcut
But only if the crayons are colour. [In reply to] Can't Post

Black and white crayons miss soooo much of the emotion...

Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

The Wicked Lute Tavern
The Shire

Dec 1 2007, 9:10pm

Post #24 of 64 (1901 views)
Shortcut
*Silence* [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently in Nevada and California Harry Potter 5 came out in the Imax with the final battle in 3D. I'm not sure if it [The Hobbit] will be good because I've been scarred by that stupid Spy Kids crap. Boy, did they spoof Elijah. I'm kinda scared, but eager to see what's coming up. Hope they don't spoof it up!

Music and merry drinking at the Wicked Lute Tavern!

The Wicked Lute Tavern
The Shire

Dec 1 2007, 9:21pm

Post #25 of 64 (1909 views)
Shortcut
Another Journey [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, even if it does happen, we're all, "Quite ready for another adventure.." As Bilbo would say. He'll do a good job on it, I know it!

Music and merry drinking at the Wicked Lute Tavern!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.