Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*unlocks doors* It's time for Fiesta Friday - and a Special Announcement!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 12 2013, 2:23am

Post #151 of 178 (259 views)
Shortcut
Does best RWTR as the All Seeing Eye impression: [In reply to] Can't Post

"I can see you-hoo." Laugh

Congratulations Rosie! Can you see me now?

Heart

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 2:27am

Post #152 of 178 (263 views)
Shortcut
It's 50F here in Chicago! [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'm not sure I have much to trade. This week we broke a record for the longest time between snowfalls - over 320 days! But we're supposed to get cold tomorrow and maybe some snow.

Good news for us northerners - it's getting a bit lighter every day, so spring will come eventually.

So what did you think of Lindor? I thought Bret did very well, and it was great to see him.

It was nice to see your husband earlier, and now you too! So great to see you both around these parts. Miss you all lots!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 5:00am

Post #153 of 178 (253 views)
Shortcut
*Slipping in late* [In reply to] Can't Post

Raising a glass of something cold to the lovely Rosie!

Speaking of lovely, we had the loveliest of days yesterday: very dear friends of ours from when we lived in England are briefly in New Zealand, and spent the day with us. We hadn't seen them in over 20 years, but it was as if we just picked up the conversation from where we left off then. It was a very special day.

Now I'm off to fire up the barbecue. Tuna tonight.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 12 2013, 5:10am

Post #154 of 178 (254 views)
Shortcut
I did the first time we went, but not this time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wearing the beard for three hours got pretty uncomfortable. After the movie I complained about my nose dripping in my mustache, and my son said, "Welcome to my world." So this time I took it off after the previews started. But I put it on after the movie was over.

The first time, as we were walking in, a man with a very impressive real beard said to me, "Nice beard." I thanked him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 5:13am

Post #155 of 178 (239 views)
Shortcut
My goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a sight for sore eyes you are! Wonderful to see you here, NZS.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 5:14am

Post #156 of 178 (256 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll probably enjoy it all the more for having waited. :) Have a great holiday, Ataahua.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2013, 5:31am

Post #157 of 178 (284 views)
Shortcut
mmmm... smooth and delicious [In reply to] Can't Post

we're supposed to give presentations next Friday comparing and contrasting our road trip with the ones taken in On the Road by Jack Kerouac (ours was quite a bit more mellow Tongue )

As for grad school, first I do a couple years of classes, and at some point (often during the second year) I will find a research group and thesis adviser. Point is, I'm thinking astrophysics as my subfield, but I won't know for sure until I find a research group.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2013, 9:53am

Post #158 of 178 (237 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Moving there! [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you feel about that? We are only there for a few days, so will be doing self drive, but may try and book in on a glacier tour if we get the time. It looks breath taking though, really beautiful, and so remote.

Little niece is doing well, my other niece Ria is turning 2 at the end of the month, she is enjoying being a big sister. I think they will grow up being very close. :)

Patty
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 9:57am

Post #159 of 178 (225 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Rosie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a drink on me.

Permanent address: Into the West

imin
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 11:53am

Post #160 of 178 (251 views)
Shortcut
Wow that is cold! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cumbria doesnt get anywhere near that cold, i would say its coldest which is also usual is around -5C just the coldest i have experienced it drop to was -10C without windchill.

I have been to the Cairngorms in Scotland over Hogmanay when me and my dad (was a few years ago) did some hiking and with the wind chill, that felt very cold - once on the Cairngorm plateau it also kinda looked how i imagine somewhere like Antarctica to look like.

I cant imagine what it was like to actually go about daily business in that weather, i have always loved the cold (helps with some parts of hyperhidrosis as well) but -25C to me is extreme.

Just another question here, lol. How cold is it in Fall/Autumn in New England? My mum hates the cold but its been a dream of hers to travel to New England and see all the trees and the architecture. Also is there anywhere in the few states that make up New England you feel are must sees? i would like to surprise her with the holiday in the next couple of years to thank her for supporting me whilst at uni Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 2:27pm

Post #161 of 178 (220 views)
Shortcut
I guess it means [In reply to] Can't Post

that we'll have to take a trip there sometime, too! Smile

She's been living down in Atlanta, a thousand miles from here, so to me it's just another long distance. But I know she's not been happy with that area, it's just too hot for her much of the time.

Ria is nearly two? Already? Where does the time go! Ii sounds like she can't wait to teach Sya everything she knows! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 2:50pm

Post #162 of 178 (220 views)
Shortcut
The Cairngorms! [In reply to] Can't Post

We took a brief trip to Edinburgh a few years ago, and travelled by train to Inverness one day, so we only saw them from a distance. That country has a rugged loveliness!

Autumn in New England is very pleasant! The temps are usually around 10-20 C, and there's a delightful nip in the air, but many days you need only a jumper/sweater to go walking.

Boston is a great place to walk around (but not for driving!), and many of the buildings are colonial period. Many seaside towns have quaint village architecture; I'd recommend driving along Route 1, which hugs the coastline much of the way, and goes through many of them. Cape Cod is an old area, and at that time of year most of the tourists have left.

For foliage, I'd recommend the Mohawk Trail (Route 2 in Massachusetts, which takes you to Williamstown, home of Tolkien scholars Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull), and also the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112 in New Hampshire). Or just about any road, between the end of September and the end of October!

There's a few of us on these Boards who live in and close to New England, let us know when you start planning the trip! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 2:53pm

Post #163 of 178 (236 views)
Shortcut
*looks at snow on ground* [In reply to] Can't Post

Barbecue...*sigh*... Do you have a special marinade for the tuna?

It's a wonder, isn't it, how you can meet up with someone you haven't seen in years, and it's as if it were yesterday that you had last been together! Now that is true friendship. Smile

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 12 2013, 6:10pm

Post #164 of 178 (221 views)
Shortcut
thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

At the moment I'm turning the dissertation into a book, which was my plan all along - I tried to write it first and realized pretty quickly that I didn't know enough, nor did I have the authority, to write a fairly scholarly book on women's literature. So I took care of that and am now going forward again! I have two publishers who've expressed interest already and once I've got another chapter or two nailed down, will send them book proposals. We'll see . . .

I make my living as a freelance editor & writer, but this past fall I taught a class on myths & archetypes in film that was so much fun to do and got such rave reviews from my students that I've been asked to come back and teach it again. I'm also in the throes of creating a workshop based on the book that I will beta-test hopefully in March, and if that flies, will take on the road - I have several organizations interested in sponsoring it, already. So doors are opening!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 7:27pm

Post #165 of 178 (249 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to Rosie, and good luck Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

An uncomfortable weekend for me, as I have shingles (herpes zoster) - seriously not impressed! Still, The Hobbit soundtrack helps, and I'm getting on with some sewing. Also, the antivirals I'm taking still allow me to drink, so - cheers to all, wherever you may be!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 7:38pm

Post #166 of 178 (241 views)
Shortcut
Bon voyage! I hope your adventure [In reply to] Can't Post

goes marvellously well, Daniel. Wishing you unusually calm seas. :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

sador
Half-elven

Jan 12 2013, 7:50pm

Post #167 of 178 (258 views)
Shortcut
Radiant sunbeam indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations, and good luck!

I'll try to give you as little trouble as possible. I hope you'll do the same for me. Smile

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 12 2013, 8:55pm

Post #168 of 178 (250 views)
Shortcut
That's wonderful news! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so good to hear, after all the work you've put in to the process! Much success to you as you bring your vision to reality!

Me, I'm weighing similar issues. I want to do the project regardless, which I hope would generate a book, and I'm trying to figure out what my best path to it is - independent research, normal PhD track, or try to find out if I can do the doctoral program backward (project first, since the multitasking that comes with intensive coursework seems to burn me out for a while afterward).

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 10:22pm

Post #169 of 178 (231 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! I hope you get better soon. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've known people to get the virus, so I understand the irritation you have right now. I hope it passes quickly for you.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 10:44pm

Post #170 of 178 (251 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Kimi. :-) Have a great weekend. / [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 12:53am

Post #171 of 178 (211 views)
Shortcut
Wow things sound like everything is awesome for you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

That's brilliant news about your class and your book.

I wish i could right something - anything, that other people would be interested in enough that they would want to buy.

They say everyone has one book in them though, so hope yet, lol.

When you get famous, we will be able to say we knew you before everyone! Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 13 2013, 2:29am

Post #172 of 178 (224 views)
Shortcut
I am smiling with you Starling. [In reply to] Can't Post

I surely am. Smile

It is an awesome experience. Cannot help feel changed coming out of the threatre.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2013, 10:21am

Post #173 of 178 (230 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you have my sympathy . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

on the shingles. I have had them. Not fun, but the antivirals worked fairly quickly. I just looked bad because they were on my face.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 13 2013, 1:06pm

Post #174 of 178 (211 views)
Shortcut
Those are fancy [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm absolutely looking amazing with these on!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 13 2013, 1:11pm

Post #175 of 178 (230 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Lot of sweeping going on!

I think I'll be deleting a lot of hot-dwarve pictures, will be a lot less of drool to clean Wink (but of course I will be saving all those pictures for myself Wink)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.