Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What the necromancer said ?

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 7:11pm

Post #1 of 22 (1203 views)
Shortcut
What the necromancer said ? Can't Post

Anyone understood / any ideas ?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 7:13pm

Post #2 of 22 (635 views)
Shortcut
He was repeating "Radagast" according to non-English subtitles./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 7:21pm

Post #3 of 22 (634 views)
Shortcut
I made a point of paying close attention to that [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't hear Radagasts,the scenes on YouTube also and I'm not hearing it,maybe I need a hearing rest :)

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 7:21pm

Post #4 of 22 (575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

In what language? Black speech?

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 7:32pm

Post #5 of 22 (576 views)
Shortcut
I think it was, [In reply to] Can't Post

MMMWWahahahahahaha!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2013, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 22 (538 views)
Shortcut
i think it was trying to communicate to radagast... [In reply to] Can't Post

you are not actually here you are tripping on your mushrooms.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 7:44pm

Post #7 of 22 (524 views)
Shortcut
I can't hear it either [In reply to] Can't Post

It just sounds like inaudible noise. But then the subtitles are official, so it must be!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 7:47pm

Post #8 of 22 (525 views)
Shortcut
Presumably in the Black Speech [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't hear "Radagast" at all. Crazy

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 8:37pm

Post #9 of 22 (436 views)
Shortcut
yes I heard him say Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

at the end of his appearance at Dol Goldur. But that was only because someone told me that's what he said. Hard to hear since he was only whispering.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 8:38pm

Post #10 of 22 (499 views)
Shortcut
I saw AUJ yesterday in IMAX 3-D, and I heard... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Necromancer whispering, indistinctly at first, then most definitely whispered "Radagast" 2 or 3 times.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 9:14pm

Post #11 of 22 (417 views)
Shortcut
Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

That is what the Dutch subtitles say and what I heard (but than it could be I heard it because I read it Crazy).

But I do believe I could hear "Radagast" in a kind of loud whisper and I could even hear it was Benedict Cumberbatch's voice.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 10:42pm

Post #12 of 22 (343 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to listen harder! [In reply to] Can't Post

Either way, they (PJ and co) didn't make it terribly obvious, did they? Cool

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 2:59am

Post #13 of 22 (290 views)
Shortcut
What I don't get is why it even needs to be Benedict Cumberbatch's voice... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's voicing Smaug and his tones are very distinctive! So why not have another actor do the Necromancer?

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 3:08am

Post #14 of 22 (261 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

we only see the somewhat physical form. Maybe we won't actually hear him talk. And perhaps it's one less actor to pay. After all, three of the Dwarves played the Trolls, instead of them being played by 3 other three actors.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 3:11am

Post #15 of 22 (246 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to catch, [In reply to] Can't Post

the whispering is similar to Sauron's whispering through the Ring--kind of an echo effect is how I heard it.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 3:59am

Post #16 of 22 (245 views)
Shortcut
speaking of black speech... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't want to start another thread on this but I haven't any confirmation from anyone.

Does anyone know what language the orcs were speaking? Was it the black speech or was it something different?

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 4:04am

Post #17 of 22 (238 views)
Shortcut
It seems [In reply to] Can't Post

that I read in another thread, that they use Black Speech. I might be wrong though.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 5:45am

Post #18 of 22 (248 views)
Shortcut
Alan Howard [In reply to] Can't Post

They could have had Alan Howard return to be his voice.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 10:15am

Post #19 of 22 (178 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's the Black Speech./ [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 10:17am

Post #20 of 22 (187 views)
Shortcut
If all we get out of the Necromancer is a couple of whispers [In reply to] Can't Post

Then it doesn't matter does it? Nobody would guess it was Cumberbatch if they didn't already know it was him.

And I imagine they'll add something to his voice with Smaug. I hope he doesn't just use his normal voice. That would be awful.

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 12:31pm

Post #21 of 22 (162 views)
Shortcut
It's a matter of prestige and budget. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He's voicing Smaug and his tones are very distinctive! So why not have another actor do the Necromancer?

Benedict Cumberbatch has become a very high prestige actor in recent times and hiring him to play just Smaug or the Necromancer, neither who are likely to have that many lines or motion-captured screentime would be wasteful. There is no point in hiring another actor when one can do both roles.

Anyway, three of the dwarves also voiced and motion-captured the trolls and back in the LotR-trilogy John Rhys-Davies did both Gimli and Treebeard. It's a pretty commonplace practice for PJ to put actors in several roles if at least one of them doesn't require them to be physically present.

Benedict Cumberbatch has an excellent vocal range and it's certain that different digital sound effects will be used to enhance the two characters' voices, making them sound quite distinct from one another. You can be sure of that.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 3:36pm

Post #22 of 22 (151 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.