Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
For those who have seen TH in 3D

Azog
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 5:39pm

Post #1 of 21 (645 views)
Shortcut
For those who have seen TH in 3D Can't Post

I saw The Hobbit in 3D HFR today (my first time was in 2D as I didn't want any distractions) and I was amazed by how good it looked compared to my 2D viewing,on first viewing I thought the cg was pretty bad in places and was even reluctant to see it again...but I so glad I did,even Azog looked amazing,also the 3D when the company were dropped at the Car rock was the most beautiful thing I've seen in a Cinema,which leads me to my question......i just can't understand why and how my opinion can change so much between viewings,was it the 3D?,the HFR or both?,was it because I knew what to expect so relaxed and enjoyed it more?

Did anyone else have a similar experience?,my opinion has never changed so dramatic all between viewings before,color me confused!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 5:51pm

Post #2 of 21 (317 views)
Shortcut
I had the same experience [In reply to] Can't Post

although I didn't get to see it it HFR. I had seen AUJ in 2-D Christmas Day, and just watched in IMAX 3-D yesterday. What an amazing difference! Everything was much clearer, and the special effects and CGI just looked so much better!

...i just can't understand why and how my opinion can change so much between viewings,was it the 3D?,the HFR or both?,was it because I knew what to expect so relaxed and enjoyed it more?

Perhaps both! For me the difference between 2-D and 3-D was like night and day. Knowing what to expect sure can make a difference, but I think that the movie was made for 3-D so just looked so much better in that format. Even Azog looked better and more frightening--and I don't even like the addition of Azog! (no offense, Azog Wink) I noticed a few little things, like the little bugs flying around in Erebor near Smaug hidden in the gold, and the Eagle's feathers, and especially the Necromancer looked more sinister than in 2-D.

PS: does anyone else think "Au jus" when they see "AUJ"? Maybe just me being hungry :)

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Jan 12 2013, 5:55pm)

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 6:01pm

Post #3 of 21 (288 views)
Shortcut
I also had the same experience as you [In reply to] Can't Post

Far, far better on 2nd viewing, with the benefit of 3D and HFR.

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 6:11pm

Post #4 of 21 (284 views)
Shortcut
Seeing is believing [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in both. HFR worked fine for me, but it does sort of force you to sit still or you do get a bit of a fuzzy effect from the glasses in 3-D when you're watching. Of course, I was drinking in every second of the movie, so I don't mind sitting still.

My only guesses about naysaying is that

a. It's as individual as people's eyes how it affects your viewing. Peoples' eyesight is as individual as they are.
b. People don't like the additional cost
c. It puts older technologies out to pasture and people lose their jobs as a result.
d. People think their theater is correctly equipped, but it's not

For me, it felt like you were right there with the characters, which was rather nice, and small art details that they worked hard on show up because the image is quite crisp.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 6:24pm

Post #5 of 21 (295 views)
Shortcut
I think several folks [In reply to] Can't Post

liked the movie better after the 2nd viewing, whether the format changed or not. I think the first time is very distracting, no matter the format, because we're trying to take everything in. The second and subsequent viewings allow us to relax and enjoy more.

I've seen the movie in 3D - HFR and IMAX - 5 times and once in 2D. I've loved them all. I'm seeing as many 3D viewings as I can while it's still in the theaters, and I expect to see 2D more often in the coming weeks.

Azog
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 6:43pm

Post #6 of 21 (261 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the replies [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm leaning towards it being my second viewing on reflection,so many of the scenes I had criticisms of the first time were non issues today,this can't be down to the 3D HFR,I just think I could relax and take it as it comes while knowing what's ccoming.
I not a big fan of 3D normally but AUJ really works in that format,I may go again tomorrow :)

MEIGWIT
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 6:44pm

Post #7 of 21 (268 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Same here, after seeing every format at least twice, I've now decided that 3D HFR is my favorite to see the movie in. It's so sharp, so real, and so clear. The camera movements and action sequences are amazing to watch in this new format!

It is the little things in life that keep the darkness at bay.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 8:20pm

Post #8 of 21 (222 views)
Shortcut
Agree wholeheartedly [In reply to] Can't Post

My first viewing was in 2D, but thereafter they have all been in 3D HFR. I not only love the format, but I feel like I need to do it while it's in theaters, since it's not something I will be able to replicate at home (we have a 3D TV, but I have no idea what the home editions will be at this point--plus it's just so big and clear).

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 9:31pm

Post #9 of 21 (203 views)
Shortcut
I finally saw it in 3D HFR on my third viewing... [In reply to] Can't Post

..because I normally hate 3D (I get motion sickness). I decided to try it before it leaves the theaters, and I was absolutely stunned and amazed by it. For the first time ever, I finally realized how awesome 3D could be. And the HFR fixed everything I ever hated about it. I noticed so many of the details I missed the first times I watched it. I can understand how, if it's your first viewing, you might lose the story because you're so focused on the surroundings, but it worked great after I already had the story down. I loved it, and I will definitely see it at least once more before it's gone.

belfalas
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 9:39pm

Post #10 of 21 (182 views)
Shortcut
Yes; although my first two viewings were both 3D HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I was literally stunned by the first viewing, took me a couple of days to absorb the experience and decide whether I liked it or not. It's a helluva lot to take in.
Second viewing, fell in love with it.
Wish I could just go to see this film every month like this until DoS is out!

Am looking forward to see how HFR gets picked up by other filmmakers.

willowing
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 10:13pm

Post #11 of 21 (174 views)
Shortcut
3D or 2D [In reply to] Can't Post

When 3D fit hit the cinemas I found the viewing experience nauseating and 2D has always being my preference for movie watching.

Since The Hobbit's release I found the trend has totally reversed. With the 2D I noticed a few blurs along the way. I think also the cinematography and visual arts may had something to do with my missing a few things during the movie.

Like you, I also went to see the 3D version, that was after I had read a few comments from fans on forums like this who had similar experiences.

Believe me, I was prepared this time for the second round and found the 3D more enjoyable.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 11:00pm

Post #12 of 21 (157 views)
Shortcut
I saw it in 3D HFR first, and I liked it best in 3D HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

So of course I'm basing it on my experience :-) - but perhaps it was the 3D HFR that improved it for you.

My second viewing was in 2D, and I was disappointed in the motion blur, and felt it was less involving, less visually interesting and overall less impactful.

Third time in IMAX 3D, I was greatly annoyed that I'd paid extra for nothing (IMO) :-).

Fourth & fifth time, both in 3D HFR again. Loved it. Wished it would never end. I really wish they hadn't pulled the HFR version from the theaters. I was hoping to catch it one more time.

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 11:05pm

Post #13 of 21 (181 views)
Shortcut
3 viewings, 3 formats, vastly different experiences [In reply to] Can't Post

First viewing - took everyone's advice and saw it in 2-D. I was with a crowd of family on 12/14 it was packed. We all thoroughly enjoyed it - I found the changes from the book and the expectations from spoilers took me out of it a bit - but still awesome.

2nd viewing - HFR 3-D Dolby Atmos (we counted 48 visible speakers). We went to a Regal RPX cinema (NYC) which advertizes double projection. I have never seen better 3-D. The clarity and detail was spectacular from the opening moments. We never experiences any of the negative effects so often commented upon here and in reviews. $20 a pop and worth every penny! Enjoyed the film on its artistic merits thoroughly and more importantly, so did my husband who never enjoyed the LOTR films in the theater (liked the EEs better). Will see it again if I can get there before it goes. I could also move around - never blurred, never wanted to remove the glasses and never too dark.

3rd viewing - 3-D IMAX 24fps. Blurry unless I kept my head in one position, but not too dark. All the CGI was blurred regardless. I would not recommend IMAX 3-D 24fps. In this theater it was horrible and definitely detracted from the enjoyment of the content I'd had in the previous viewings. I have read the positive comments from others, so perhaps it was this theater's poor IMAX projection or maybe you just can't go back after 48fps.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 12:31am

Post #14 of 21 (130 views)
Shortcut
You mean the additional cost of 3D as opposed to 2D or just HFR? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

Briar
The Shire

Jan 13 2013, 12:34am

Post #15 of 21 (136 views)
Shortcut
Same here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just returned home after seeing it for the first time in HFR 3D, and I thought it was extraordinary. I've also seen it twice in 2D, and once in 24 FPS 3D--I thought I'd gradually increase the immersion due to all of the negative reactions to HFR. However, I didn't notice the "soap opera" effect nor did I see any of the fast motion that people complain about. I would also add that normally I get headaches in 3D movies, but not today with HFR. The 3D seemed tastefully utilized and it added a lot of depth without any obnoxious in-your-face effects.

What was really noticeable to me were the panning shots. The overhead panning shot of Dale always seemed jerky to me in regular 24 FPS, but in HFR it was smooth and beautiful and the city seemed more settled in the landscape, if that makes any sense. I also agree that the eagles in flight may be some of the loveliest images I've ever seen on a movie screen!

(This post was edited by Briar on Jan 13 2013, 12:36am)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 4:39am

Post #16 of 21 (112 views)
Shortcut
So just got back from 7th viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Again in 48 fps 3D. Amazing, and I was able to spot a lot of the fun things that grammaboodawg, Magpie and others have mentioned.

But the best part? The theater was nearly full! At first it was about a third full, then literally right before the first trailer, people began streaming in. By the end of the trailers, it was about 3/4 full. I was thrilled, and the audience response was great. A bunch even sat through the credits (with me). I went because I was afraid it would be out of the theater in 48 fps soon, but this bodes well for staying power.

Azog
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 10:50am

Post #17 of 21 (73 views)
Shortcut
same here [In reply to] Can't Post

At midday showing yesterday the cinema was full,I counted about 10 empty seats,pretty impressive considering how long its been out,anyone know how much longer it will be shown?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 11:33am

Post #18 of 21 (78 views)
Shortcut
In all 9 of my screenings [In reply to] Can't Post

The cinema, at most, has been half full. The majority of time I can count the number of people with my fingers and toes. Unsure

I'm glad it's still going strong where you are. I'm slightly disappointed by the turn out where I live. When I saw ROTK the cinema was always *full*, and everyone cheered and clapped at the end. Not this time!

GhostofMacbeth
The Shire

Jan 13 2013, 4:19pm

Post #19 of 21 (56 views)
Shortcut
First saw it in 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw it the second time in 2D yesterday and I preferred the 2D. But it could have been the calibration of the 3D or whatever. We also don't have the high speed showing here so that could be part of it.

Daniel James
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 4:23pm

Post #20 of 21 (34 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone! [In reply to] Can't Post

The first two times I watched the movie, I watched it in HFR 3D. It was absolutely spectacular, an experience like no other. I then watched it in standard 2D (3rd viewing), and I was actually quite furious. The strobing, jerkiness, and flickering were maddeningly obvious! I have decided to, if at all possible, never watch the movie in standard 2D again. It's HFR 3D all the way for me!

I wonder how this will work out on DVD? Does anyone know?

Follow me on Google+! http://plus.ly/DanielJames
Also, follow my Hobbit fanpage: http://gplus.to/TheHobbitMovies

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 15 2013, 4:00am

Post #21 of 21 (46 views)
Shortcut
Cost as in ticket price// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.