Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
REALLY annoyed that HFR screenings have been pulled
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

belfalas
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 9:13am

Post #1 of 43 (1344 views)
Shortcut
REALLY annoyed that HFR screenings have been pulled Can't Post

Cineworld (UK) appear to have pulled all HFR screenings of The Hobbit already. It's only been 4 weeks, grumble grumble.
I shouldn't complain too much since they're still showing it in 2D and regular 3D, but it's not the same; It is a real pity though.
How fare's things where you are?

Danielos
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 9:15am

Post #2 of 43 (630 views)
Shortcut
3D HFR the standard in Sweden [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in Stockholm, Sweden the 3D HFR screenings are the most common ones. They are on more screens than the regular formats.

belfalas
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 9:20am

Post #3 of 43 (579 views)
Shortcut
That's really interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that mean the HFR screenings have had a better critical reception in Sweden?

Danielos
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 9:53am

Post #4 of 43 (550 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont know. I think the critics here were just as skeptical of it as those from abroad. But the owners of the cinemas, SF, were very ambitious and released the movie in HFR on many screens all over the country. Ive only seen the movie in 3D HFR and those showings were pretty packed so I think many (including myself) really like the new technology. Clearly, if HFR were a flop, it wouldnt still be the standard, I suppose.

I really hope we get the same 3D HFR release this December as well!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 10:19am

Post #5 of 43 (539 views)
Shortcut
Which cinema do you go to? [In reply to] Can't Post

And when would it be acceptable to start pulling it from the cinemas? The thing is, the HFR is probably being used in some of the biggest screens. New films demand bigger screens (more people in the audience). So I'm not surprised it is being pulled in some places.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 12 2013, 11:27am

Post #6 of 43 (510 views)
Shortcut
Same here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sussex. The only reachable HFR showing ended on Thursday. I just got in to see it, expecting not to like it, and loved it. Now I don't have a chance to see it again in that format, having been late to discover how good it is - but at least I'll know better next time!

Still lots of cinemas showing it in 2D and ordinary 3D. If I go again it'll be 2D; ordinary 3D messes with my eyes

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 12:29pm

Post #7 of 43 (535 views)
Shortcut
sorry for this in advance... [In reply to] Can't Post

But, good riddance. IMO, HFR does not work for film yet. I know I wont see the next two films in that format. It simply isn't appropriate for a narrative...yet.

I won't totally dismiss it, but in my eyes, it only serves to cheapen the look of the film. I already have a few friends who mistakenly saw it in that format, and ended up hating the film because it looked so bad.

Anyone who likes it is obviously in the minority.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Jan 12 2013, 12:32pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 12 2013, 12:47pm

Post #8 of 43 (481 views)
Shortcut
Obviously in the minority because you don't like it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think so - it seems pretty balanced to me. So love HFR, some hate it. I expected to be in one camp (because I had heard so much negative comment and don't like 3D anyway) and found myself in the other. Which is weird but - that's life.

HFR 3D obviously works for some people and not others. And that's about all any of us can say.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 1:10pm

Post #9 of 43 (461 views)
Shortcut
And I am the other way round! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think so - it seems pretty balanced to me. So love HFR, some hate it. I expected to be in one camp (because I had heard so much negative comment and don't like 3D anyway) and found myself in the other. Which is weird but - that's life.

I expected to love it, but didn't. Hopefully next year cinema's are more experienced with the projection system. I'm sure there's a large portion of people who dislike HFR simply because of the cinema/theatre.

EyeRock
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 1:41pm

Post #10 of 43 (435 views)
Shortcut
I think it depends on your thought on 3D in general [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always been a modest fan of 3D done right, and AUJ was a good example of this in my eyes. People I've talked with who were unhappy with HFR also disliked 3D. To them it was "just another gimmick". I've seen it two times in HFR now and, honestly, 3D has never looked better. Avatar was good, but the 3D was always apparent and served as a constant strain on my eye. In AUJ, after my eyes had passed the ten minute test, I would at times forget I was watching a 3D movie until I was reminded again by that wonderful shot of the charging goblins.

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 1:52pm

Post #11 of 43 (452 views)
Shortcut
The difference from country to country are interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I know from several cinemas in Germany that will upgrade for DoS because HFR was a major success with audiences and critics here.

imin
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 1:52pm

Post #12 of 43 (434 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure that is entirely true [In reply to] Can't Post

For me the 3D was better in Avatar than AUJ and probably the best i have still seen.

As for people liking HFR are people who like 3D - doormouse just above said she didnt think she would like HFR as she doesnt like 3D and the negative reaction some had to HFR - yet she liked it.

For my part i quite like 3D and i expected not to like HFR but i came out thinking some bits worked well others needed more time to get right.

I think it may be linked to ones general liking or not of 3D but some people dont like it for unrelated things - such as the images appear sped up etc.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 12 2013, 3:15pm

Post #13 of 43 (390 views)
Shortcut
Well, it didn't for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like 3D and have been firmly in the anti-3D camp all along. My previous attempts to give 3D a try were unwatchable, or at best very uncomfortable, and just didn't work. Hard to describe, but the 3D never look 'right' to me - more like something that was trying to imitate the natural dimensions of the world around us. As if the picture had been divided into layers - foreground, middle ground and background - and I could see the separation. They didn't gel together properly. It was more like a clever trick than something you would want to sit and watch for a couple of hours.

At the HFR showing I attended there were some 3D trailers before the film that had exactly the same artificial look about them. I wasn't sure if I could sit through nearly 3 hours of that. But when The Hobbit started it was completely different. HFR 3D was so clear and natural, just like being there. It didn't shout 'special effect' all the time - like you, I could have forgotten about it altogether if it hadn't been for the (to me) odd sensation of wearing glasses. The only thing that seemed rather strange were the subtitles, which didn't bear any obvious spatial relationship to the rest of the picture - at one point Azog seemed to be in front of his. The rest of it was just so real.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 3:40pm

Post #14 of 43 (388 views)
Shortcut
This is *exactly* how it was for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I never liked 3D before either. I was very "meh" about it, never thought it was worth the extra money or added anything to the experience.

HRF changed that for me - exactly in the way you described.

I saw TH 3 times in 3D HFR, and loved it in that format. Also saw it once in 2D and once in IMAX 3D. The IMAX 3D, IMO was completely not worth the extra money. I didn't mind paying extra for 3D HFR at all, because I saw the difference - the improvement! Yes, imagine that, despite what the critics are saying, there are people who liked it better ;-)! - in HFR and thought it was well worth it. But IMAX 3D did nothing for me. I saw it in all three versions because I wanted to be able to compare them. But afterwards I wished I'd used that extra money instead to see it in HFR again :-).

I understand some people are physically unable to watch 3D, so they need to keep the 2D version out there. But if they pulled anything, they should have pulled the IMAX 3D. I have no idea why my local theater pulled the HFR instead. The last time I saw it in HFR the theater was much more crowded than it was in IMAX.

I'm just *so* glad I went to see it three times in HFR, because it's imprinted in my memory that way, it's the way I'll always see it in my mind's eye Heart.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 4:20pm

Post #15 of 43 (374 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

to begin with the bigger screenings are well, taking over the screens that can show HFR plus nobody seems to like it

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

totoro
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 4:30pm

Post #16 of 43 (340 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if there is a correlation between... [In reply to] Can't Post

... liking old movies and liking HFR. I don't like the fake, broadway theater look of old movies. The lighting, posing for the camera, stage actor delivery of lines makes me ever-aware that I am watching a movie.

I knew I would like HFR for the same reason I like realistic paintings. I am kind of meh for 3D, but could appreciate Avatar (and although the movie was not great IMHO, the Jim Carey scrooge movie had some impressive 3D). The key for me is seeing as much as I can as clearly as I can on screen. HFR gave me that.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 4:30pm

Post #17 of 43 (333 views)
Shortcut
Similar for me regarding 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the 3D in Avatar, but I've not been so much of a fan of 3D in other things. However, the 3D HFR for the Hobbit was brilliant (I haven't seen it in 3D 24fps so I can't comment on the difference HFR makes to that). Someone behind me said at the end of the film "That's the first 3D film I've seen where I actually liked the 3D!" That was nice to hear.

The first time I saw AUJ was at plain old 2D 24fps and I was ever-so-slightly underwhelmed from start to finish (wildly high expectations probably playing a part there). When I saw it in HFR 3D, I thought the film was absolutely fantastic, and many of the gripes I had from the first viewing (particularly with regards to pacing) actually disappeared.

The Erebor prologue was truly exceptional. Smile

Then Manw and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aul; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aul, and he went on with his smith-work.

belfalas
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 4:35pm

Post #18 of 43 (329 views)
Shortcut
I agree - HFR 3D would surely be the one to keep? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a Cineworld and Odeon locally, but only Cineworld were offering it in HFR. And yes, it was on a big screen, so of course it's understandable that when Les Mis comes out it should take over.

But they're still running Hobbit on two screens - 2D and 3D - and it's really that they've decided to stick with the standard 3D that irritates me. I suppose that's realistically the only way they could go as otherwise they'd have to rejig the (smaller) screen with the HFR version, even though that's what I'd have preferred. I would very likely have gone to see it again if they'd done that, but as it is I think 4 viewings is enough for now!

I too am looking forward to a more widespread December release of AUJ in HFR prior to DoS.

Negative citicism of HFR seems to be accompanied by a dislike of 3D, which is a bit silly. What's needed is a comparison of 24-vs-48 fps 3D to be of any help.

So I wonder if next time we'll get the 3D version only in HFR, rather than mucking about with the 24fps version too? How will the studio judge whether HFR has been successful enough to do that?

(This post was edited by belfalas on Jan 12 2013, 4:36pm)

Noria
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 4:42pm

Post #19 of 43 (334 views)
Shortcut
Still available [In reply to] Can't Post

HFR is still available in my town and I hope to see it one more time in that format because I loved it. I've seen AUJ twice in 48 fps and twice in 24 fps and much preferred the HFR. I too want the HFR version to imprint itself onto my brain so that it colours all my later DVD viewings.

I'm OK with 3D for movies that were filmed in that format but if my companions prefer 2D, I don't mind. But in the case of The Hobbit, I found the 48 fps version much more beautiful and engaging.

Last week I asked the cinema ticket seller how the HFR version was selling and she said it was doing very well. AIJ is also available in 2D and 3D at the same theatre.

Edited to add that I live in Canada.

(This post was edited by Noria on Jan 12 2013, 4:44pm)

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 4:46pm

Post #20 of 43 (321 views)
Shortcut
Still have them here in Michigan [In reply to] Can't Post

Though oddly enough, the regular 3D is no longer shown at my cinema. They have the HFR, IMAX, and 2D. I guess people are going for the HFR and IMAX, so they no longer have the plain old 3D.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 4:50pm

Post #21 of 43 (316 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's on its way out here too [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in Hawaii it's only playing twice a day now...2 shows in 3D HFR and 2 in regular 2D. I'm afraid this is the last weekend it will play at all!! So naturally I'm going to see it several times this weekend! It seems that it hasn't been playing very long...at least not long enough for me! And yes, it's still showing in the other theaters in regular 2D and regular 3D but it's just not the same. (Only two theaters here were showing it in 3D HFR in the first place) I'm so sad!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 4:54pm

Post #22 of 43 (316 views)
Shortcut
HFR only dubbed here [In reply to] Can't Post

Where I live, most movies labeled as family movies are dubbed. Unfortunately, TH fell into that category (I was tempted to say trap). We already have very few HFR screenings as it is, in fact I know there were 2 and now there's 1 left, and both screenings were dubbed, which is a huge no go for me. I guess there's a reason for it and the distributors have all the numbers they need to make the right choice from a financial point of view, or they simply expected TH to be a kids movie, but there's simply no way I'm paying for a dubbed TH just to see it in the HFR format.

I say if you voluntarily deprive yourself of the joy of hearing the original voices in a move like TH, you're not worthy of HFR or Atmos. To ruin a movie that relies so heavily on the magic of voices and accents with dubbing and then present the castrated result in HFR or Atmos as some kind of technological marvel is simply offensive, and a bad marketing move to begin with, because if you want to attract fans who are the most likely to see the movie more than once, offering them a dubbed copy is laughable and ridiculous. Not to mention it creates extremely negative associations - my first experience with HFR can be summarized as "HFR is a format for kids and people who don't give a damn about quality or depth but only want to be entertained by visual pomp".

Long story short, I know many people who were willing to pay for multiple 3D or 3D HFR screenings but didn't due to all those copies being dubbed. I frequently visit concerts abroad and I'm considering to do the same with DoS next year.

(This post was edited by Yva on Jan 12 2013, 4:59pm)

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 5:10pm

Post #23 of 43 (290 views)
Shortcut
Well, that stinks [In reply to] Can't Post

So do they dub everything?? Even the Orcs and Elves?

Too bad there isn't a subbed version for you to see. Kinda stinks that you have to wait till it comes out on DVD in order to hear the original voices. Unsure

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 5:16pm

Post #24 of 43 (293 views)
Shortcut
I've never understood why they dub [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where I live, most movies labeled as family movies are dubbed. Unfortunately, TH fell into that category (I was tempted to say trap). We already have very few HFR screenings as it is, in fact I know there were 2 and now there's 1 left, and both screenings were dubbed, which is a huge no go for me. I guess there's a reason for it and the distributors have all the numbers they need to make the right choice from a financial point of view, or they simply expected TH to be a kids movie, but there's simply no way I'm paying for a dubbed TH just to see it in the HFR format.

I say if you voluntarily deprive yourself of the joy of hearing the original voices in a move like TH, you're not worthy of HFR or Atmos. To ruin a movie that relies so heavily on the magic of voices and accents with dubbing and then present the castrated result in HFR or Atmos as some kind of technological marvel is simply offensive, and a bad marketing move to begin with, because if you want to attract fans who are the most likely to see the movie more than once, offering them a dubbed copy is laughable and ridiculous. Not to mention it creates extremely negative associations - my first experience with HFR can be summarized as "HFR is a format for kids and people who don't give a damn about quality or depth but only want to be entertained by visual pomp".

Long story short, I know many people who were willing to pay for multiple 3D or 3D HFR screenings but didn't due to all those copies being dubbed. I frequently visit concerts abroad and I'm considering to do the same with DoS next year.

I wish they wouldn't dub anything at all. You cannot get the tone, the feel, the gist of the movie if it's dubbed! You need the sound of the original actors' voices! I think subtitles would be much better. Of course, I've noticed myself that with subtitles I'm busy reading rather than watching, so maybe that's why they do it. But really, I think what is lost by dubbing far outweighs what is lost by reading subtitles! (I remember watching some old Clint Eastwood westerns while I was in Germany...dubbed in German. It was laughable!)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Azog
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 5:18pm

Post #25 of 43 (318 views)
Shortcut
I caught it today in HFR at cineworld Huntingdon [In reply to] Can't Post

(Hadn't seen it in HFR yet,just 2D),I was informed Tuesday is the last day,its was amazing,I fully expected to dislike it but it was mind blowing compared to 2D 24fps,the Eagles flying over the Carrock was the most amazing visual I've ever seen on the big screen,the 3D gave me a headache but it was worth it :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.