Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
First reactions to AUJ vs. to FOTR

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 12 2013, 1:57am

Views: 976
Shortcut
First reactions to AUJ vs. to FOTR Can't Post

Here's something I'm particularly interested in: comparing first reactions to An Unexpected Journey versus to Fellowship of the Ring. Just over 11 years ago, many of us sat down in a theater for the first time to watch FOTR. The music swelled, the New Line logo came on screen, and...what did you feel, right then, and when you walked out of the theater? Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and we all sat down again to revisit Middle-earth for the first time in years on a big screen, and as the music swelled again...what did you feel, right then, and when you walked out of the theater three hours later? Were the two experiences comparable? And for both movies, how did these very first impressions fit with your expectations?

I'll share mine, to get things going. I went into my first viewing of FOTR with almost no expectations, because I had paid almost no attention to the fact that the trilogy was being filmed. I'm a long-time lover of book-LOTR and figured an acceptable movie adaptation was impossible, so didn't have very high expectations going in. Boy was I wrong! Within seconds I was transported away to Middle-earth, completely immersed in the movie, and upon leaving the theater felt like I was having culture shock, back in the modern world of Men. I just wanted to go back.

So, going into my first viewing of AUJ, I was slightly more up on things but not by much. I had at least looked at pictures of all 13 Dwarves. But, because The Hobbit (book) to me is just a nice prequel to LOTR, I figured The Hobbit made into a movie would likewise be not much more than a nice prequel to the LOTR (movie) trilogy. So, fairly low expectations again. And again, I was wrong! Cue the music...and I felt like I was transported right back to that wonderfully familiar other-world that PJ first showed us 11 years ago. And walking out of the theater, I felt that exact same culture shock that I felt with FOTR. PJ had nailed it again. And this time, I think the movie actually improves on the book -- something that I hadn't thought possible. (Yes, I know lots of you would disagree, and we all have minor quibbles -- but I'd argue that PJ has made effective use of the Appendices and the full story of The Quest of Erebor in ways I hadn't imagined possible.)

For both movies, I expect my experience was shaped in large part by going in with very low expectations, and thus it wasn't at all hard to have those expectations blown right out the window.

So, c'mon. Share your first reactions! How do they compare?

Subject User Time
First reactions to AUJ vs. to FOTR Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 12 2013, 1:57am
    First reactions ryouko Send a private message to ryouko Jan 12 2013, 2:16am
    opposite for me more or less pettytyrant101 Send a private message to pettytyrant101 Jan 12 2013, 2:19am
        Well, there's always.... MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 12 2013, 5:19am
            (puts on best Shatner impersonation) pettytyrant101 Send a private message to pettytyrant101 Jan 12 2013, 12:48pm
    digging into memory sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Jan 12 2013, 2:26am
        Basically this for me as well. imin Send a private message to imin Jan 12 2013, 12:25pm
    Well, for me, The Hobbit was my first entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Jan 12 2013, 2:37am
        Great attitude indeed... MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 12 2013, 5:25am
    First reaction Gelir Send a private message to Gelir Jan 12 2013, 3:08am
    Twice blessed! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jan 12 2013, 4:49am
    My first reactions to FOTR and AUJ were very different DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 12 2013, 1:23pm
    I remember the first time Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Jan 12 2013, 2:47pm
    different reactions ghost_matt Send a private message to ghost_matt Jan 12 2013, 3:31pm
    I went into FOTR hoping ... Eledhwen Send a private message to Eledhwen Jan 12 2013, 3:35pm
    This is how it happened to me shadow0421 Send a private message to shadow0421 Jan 12 2013, 3:36pm
    Very different reactions Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jan 12 2013, 7:17pm
        Yes, the soundtrack shadow0421 Send a private message to shadow0421 Jan 13 2013, 1:08pm
    Very sceptical Pimmiko Send a private message to Pimmiko Jan 12 2013, 7:42pm
    First reactions Belung Jan 12 2013, 8:58pm
    Beautiful moments in both Calenheniel Send a private message to Calenheniel Jan 12 2013, 9:04pm
    Very different reactions Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Jan 12 2013, 10:19pm
    in short carrioncrow Send a private message to carrioncrow Jan 13 2013, 1:02pm
    Different batik Send a private message to batik Jan 13 2013, 5:04pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.