The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Action with Elves in Mirkwood

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 11:35pm

Post #1 of 15 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Action with Elves in Mirkwood Can't Post

The book describes how the elves were out hunting deer or similar animals in Mirkwood. However, I doubt they will take that route, with the dwarves blundering into their fairy ring multiple times. So, what will be the reason that the elves come across the dwarves (who apparently escape from the spiders right before their encounter with the elf patrol)?

It's pretty certain that it will have happened soon after the spider rescue by Bilbo, as evidence by the picture of Gloin covered in webbing being questioned and his family locket held by a presumably elven hand?

1. I favor that they might have been called out because of the goblin raiding party that came from the mountains, and continues to pursue the dwarves. They could be hunting spiders, but those are more incidental to the journey, and the dwarves are probably going to be lost when they get captured. This also give further credence to Thranduil being a bit upset at stirring up the orcs that pursue them into his domain. He's already upset that they won't tell him what they were doing in the forest.

2. Who will be leading the hunting party? Will we see Thranduil? Legolas & Tauriel? All of them?

3. If number 1 is correct, and it is orcs they are hunting, will we get to see any action? This was passed over in LOTR, where Haldir and Lorien elves wiped out a band of orcs pursuing from Moria, but it was cut from all versions. This might bring that idea back. Maybe it's a 'close call' but the elves don't know the dwarves are the target.

Thoughts?

-Rostron

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 12:13am

Post #2 of 15 (895 views)
Shortcut
What we already know... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the comic-con footage, we already know that Legolas and Tauriel are among the elves who capture the dwarves. To me, the fingers of the hand look rather slender, so perhaps it's Tauriel holding the picture. That would be my best guess.

I'd rather the dwarves not be continuously followed by the orcs. It works as it is in the book, no need to change it any more.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Joe20
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 12:29am

Post #3 of 15 (830 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure I read somewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

that it was Legolas that was holding the picture. And I hope it is since he is questioning Gimli's father.

But I could be misremembering Smile

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Jan 12 2013, 12:30am)

Rane
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 12:39am

Post #4 of 15 (777 views)
Shortcut
I haven't heard of this untill now [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean the comic con footage or a picture. Anyone have a link? (I feel like a terrible fan)

Photobucket

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 12:51am

Post #5 of 15 (820 views)
Shortcut
You may have read it here [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Chronicles.”

http://art-of-the-dwarves.tumblr.com/...-for-the-hobbit-film

If all goes according to this book it is Legolas who is questioning Gloin

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Rane
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 12:55am

Post #6 of 15 (722 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 1:54am

Post #7 of 15 (689 views)
Shortcut
Oh I like that [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's fitting for it to be Legolas! I like that a lot Smile

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Joe20
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 4:06am

Post #8 of 15 (663 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that was it. Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 4:18am

Post #9 of 15 (638 views)
Shortcut
Great link [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting!!

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Retro315
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 7:18am

Post #10 of 15 (622 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

The transition in the novel from narrowly escaping spiders and only having mere seconds to catch their breath before being arrested by Wood-elves is broad enough that the Elves firing some action-packed arrows into a few more spiders won't be any sort of giant change in the narrative.

We know historically from the novels that the elves love all animals and though they hunt, it's more ritualistic - but they despise the spiders. Not that motivations always make it into film: in hindsight it stings a lot that Legolas entire motivation for the Fellowship Quest (penance, for losing Gollum) is traded for some inate bromance action with Aragorn. Though it's clear he's fond of Gandalf as well.

Neaniver

Jan 12 2013, 5:59pm

Post #11 of 15 (509 views)
Shortcut
the elves [In reply to] Can't Post

Not being rude but you got it wrong, they are not out hunting deer, they are out having a picnic. If you want to say not I would prefer you read it your self, if I'm wrong I am sorry but I think I'm right.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 6:21pm

Post #12 of 15 (503 views)
Shortcut
That may be hunting jsut for ritual not killing... but [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a passage about hunting horns... yes, the fires and feasting is at night...later.

"...when they became aware of a dim blowing of horns in the wood and tghe sound as of dogs baying far off. Then they all fell silent; and as they sat it seemed they could hear the noise of a great hunt going by to the north of the path..."

This happens after the hart startles them at the boat crossing.

(This post was edited by Rostron2 on Jan 12 2013, 6:22pm)

Neaniver

Jan 12 2013, 8:44pm

Post #13 of 15 (472 views)
Shortcut
the elves [In reply to] Can't Post

Fair enough, but they actually run into the feasting not the hunting, so I guess we're both right.Wink

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 10:25pm

Post #14 of 15 (421 views)
Shortcut
You're Welcome, [In reply to] Can't Post

Rane, Joe and Ave Moria glad you enjoyed it :)

Ardamírë I like it too, if in the end is like this it's going to be such a brilliant moment! We will know where the joke on Legolas is :) The first time he'll get to see his best friend

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 1:19am

Post #15 of 15 (477 views)
Shortcut
That pic immediately reminds of [In reply to] Can't Post

Uriah Heep's debut album cover with the Late David Byron covered in cobwebs - the classic album being Very 'eavy, Very 'umble!! ;)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.