Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Cringeworthy scenes?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 10:35pm

Post #1 of 78 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Cringeworthy scenes? Can't Post

I posted a similar thread some months back concerning the LOTR trilogy, now I'd like to put forward another one concerning Hobbit (ahem...Evil)...

Before I do though I'd like to point out (like previously with LOTR) that this isn't meant to run down the movie, just point out a couple of low points (for me)... so here goes.

the final scenes in Goblin town were quite awful; it really hit home on second viewing (I've watched the movie twice now), the weird ladder contraption sliding down the hill before falling between two cliffs and then resting at the bottom, before the Goblin King lands on top...not a titter from the audience, I suspect most in there had seen the movie before like me - it simply isn't funny!

And the end scene when Thorin is about to be beheaded... how the hell could a tiny hobbit knock over such a formidable orc, much less kill him?? I cringed watching that a second time... I don't mind a bit of licence but turning Bilbo into an heroic warrior is a stretch too far for me.

Ah that feels better getting that off my chest!

Any others that made you cringe?

Smile

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

(This post was edited by TheBladeGlowsBlue on Jan 11 2013, 10:37pm)

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 11 2013, 10:43pm

Post #2 of 78 (931 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And the end scene when Thorin is about to be beheaded... how the hell could a tiny hobbit knock over such a formidable orc, much less kill him?? I cringed watching that a second time... I don't mind a bit of licence but turning Bilbo into an heroic warrior is a stretch too far for me.

I've seen the film twice now and I really didn't see that scene in the way you describe. Bilbo doesn't seem like a formidable warrior for a second. If he didn't take that orc on surprise he wouldn't have had a prayer.

Anyway, the Great Goblin's song is my biggest cringe moment. I didn't mind the shifts in mood that much, for the most part they were in the spirit of the book, but that was such a cartoony scene that it just made me roll my eyes. Not to even mention Dame Edna's voice for the Great Goblin, in general.

And Azog's facial expressions in his confrontation with Thorin became unintentionally comical at points. The motion capture of his face was clearly less detailed than on the other CG characters, and especially the smile (I assume that's what it was) simply looked goofy. I really hope that his subsequent appearances will have a more finished look to them.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 10:53pm

Post #3 of 78 (869 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Bilbo... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've seen the film twice now and I really didn't see that scene in the way you describe. Bilbo doesn't seem like a formidable warrior for a second. If he didn't take that orc on surprise he wouldn't have had a prayer.

Fair point but it wasn't the execution of the scene that made me cringe, more the concept of it... surely the scene would have been better with Dwalin taking out the orc, thus cementing a line said earlier in the movie about the dwarves being prepared to die for Thorin?

To use Bilbo in this way when he had already 'proved his worth' on a couple of occasions seemed totally over the top. A low point in the movie for me sadly Unsure

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 11:07pm

Post #4 of 78 (839 views)
Shortcut
What about Rudy (or Sam should I say)..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Every species obviously has there so called "wimp of the liter." It's better that this particular Orc died due to the shame of getting its a_s kicked by Bilbo...... My kids and I found it hilarious.

In Reply To
I

Smile

Sly

In Reply To

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 11:13pm

Post #5 of 78 (768 views)
Shortcut
I think that's the point I was making... [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene was clearly hilarious to you, cringeworthy to me... either way, hardly in keeping with the dramatic theme that PJ was trying to convey.

Imagine if they had used one of the hobbits to take on the Uruk Hai instead of Strider at the end of the FOTR as a comparison...

<<Shudder>>

Crazy

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 11 2013, 11:14pm

Post #6 of 78 (766 views)
Shortcut
None [In reply to] Can't Post

(And I've now heard three audiences laugh at the scene you mentioned....) Wink

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2013, 11:15pm

Post #7 of 78 (825 views)
Shortcut
Goblin King's last line... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't stand that one... Mad

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 11:21pm

Post #8 of 78 (743 views)
Shortcut
Am glad you enjoyed every scene [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(And I've now heard three audiences laugh at the scene you mentioned....) Wink

Equally, glad you still find the scene funny.

I didn't.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 11 2013, 11:26pm

Post #9 of 78 (783 views)
Shortcut
Different audiences lead to different experiences [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it 9 times now, and each time, the audience laugh at different parts. That's entirely down to different audiences (and the number of people in the audience).

When I've been to screenings with few people, there are very few laughs (perhaps people are more conscious of noise?). When there are a lot of people, there are more laughs (the same when there are more children).

The point is, not everyone is going to laugh at every "funny" scene at every screening of the film.

As for any cringeworthy scenes - I don't think there are any.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 11:35pm

Post #10 of 78 (734 views)
Shortcut
Using Ringwraith music for a confrontation between a Dwarf and Orc [In reply to] Can't Post

...takes away from the drama of the ringwraiths in FOTR.
However I was relived that there weren't talking animals or purses. So I'll take this cringe worthy moment over what could've been.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

imin
Valinor

Jan 11 2013, 11:40pm

Post #11 of 78 (734 views)
Shortcut
9 times! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've seen it 9 times now, and each time, the audience laugh at different parts. That's entirely down to different audiences (and the number of people in the audience).

When I've been to screenings with few people, there are very few laughs (perhaps people are more conscious of noise?). When there are a lot of people, there are more laughs (the same when there are more children).

The point is, not everyone is going to laugh at every "funny" scene at every screening of the film.

As for any cringeworthy scenes - I don't think there are any.

I see you are spending your PhD funding wisely, lol Tongue

Both times i have seen it, the cinema was pretty darn packed and the audience had a typically mixed response to the different scenes - though both found the riddles scene funny.

Kids as you say definitely laugh at the more OTT/slapstick elements but thats great as it shows they are doing what they were put in for - for kids!

Cringeworthy scenes for me, the stone giants - as i think it is awful, the hug between thorin and bilbo along with thorin's lil speech just before the hug - massive cliche.

Lots of things with radagast - eyes going cross eyed, stick insect, fake looking warg and bunny sled chase.

Galadriel looking wooden - just felt cringy - they were trying too hard to make her galadriel.

Any time Ori spoke.

The trees all falling down onto each other and then hanging over the edge of a cliff, i mean come on!

OK thats about it, lol.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 11:43pm

Post #12 of 78 (770 views)
Shortcut
The only really cringeworthy moment [In reply to] Can't Post

For me was the bridge falling into the chasm. It's a bit too much to believe that they all weren't flung in 14 directions. At least Pirates of the Caribbean had them in a woven ball when they tumbled to almost certain death.

I would have been better had a couple of the dwarves used some kind of mining skill to seal off a tunnel, or know how to make a ton of rock fall onto the bridge and pursuing goblins because they are used to geologic formations.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 11:45pm

Post #13 of 78 (754 views)
Shortcut
Don't understand the "Bilbo the warrior" complaints? [In reply to] Can't Post

From watching it 3 times, no way did I get the "Bilbo's a warrior" vibe some people tend to complain about. Each time Bilbo fought, you can tell he's just barely holding on (his fight with the goblin), and the end where he tackles the orc and manages to stab him out of luck and surprise.

I really don't find the Great Goblin's "That'll do it" as bad as people make it out to be. It's not great writing, but it's not horrific either. Honestly, there wasn't any cringe-worthy scenes in The Hobbit for me. Not as cringe-worthy as Eowyn's awkward singing in TTT Extended Edition.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 11:51pm

Post #14 of 78 (746 views)
Shortcut
Poor Miranda [In reply to] Can't Post

She just can't sing, but she was awesome anyway... :)

hutch
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 11:52pm

Post #15 of 78 (682 views)
Shortcut
So many people love those scenes though [In reply to] Can't Post

so while they may not be my favorite, I do like that other people are enjoying them. People may find the dwarf belching cringeworthy, but my mom LOVED it! And to see her laugh made me love it.

And I have to admit, as cliche as it was Thorin really had me going, so while the hug was cliched it was also unexpected.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 11:54pm

Post #16 of 78 (715 views)
Shortcut
Are you talking about Miranda Otto... [In reply to] Can't Post

...or Bob Dylan?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 12:06am

Post #17 of 78 (703 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn's singing [In reply to] Can't Post

You said what now!? Miranda did a fantastic job, IMO. Obviously, it's all subjective, but that scene is actually one of my favorite bits in the trilogy.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 12:07am

Post #18 of 78 (651 views)
Shortcut
Dylan is a special case [In reply to] Can't Post

I give him a pass because he's a folk singer and songwriter. Miranda Otto was like those people at American Idol auditions...

hutch
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 12:12am

Post #19 of 78 (629 views)
Shortcut
ouch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 12:23am

Post #20 of 78 (652 views)
Shortcut
I think we're talking lightly here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn was a beautiful woman, with a good head on her shoulders, tough and resourceful, brave, good with a sword. However, it's entirely realistic that she's not a good singer, and she's called upon to sing, with all the stress and grief, it would be hard to stay on key...

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 12:26am

Post #21 of 78 (630 views)
Shortcut
Different conventions, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the impression of older standards of melody and tonality from Miranda Otto's singing, more fitting to the old Anglo-Saxon she was singing in. It was a much more appealing scene to me than Pippin's more conventional Oscar-bait song in the RotK.

morgul lord
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 12:28am

Post #22 of 78 (613 views)
Shortcut
Wow, some of you guys cringe a lot. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by morgul lord on Jan 12 2013, 12:28am)

morgul lord
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 12:30am

Post #23 of 78 (636 views)
Shortcut
Seriously?? Eowyn singing was fantastic. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gorgeous melody, and beautiful anglo-saxon lyrics. It was supposed to sound rough, raw, and harsh, and full of grief... which it did.

To be honest, Viggo's singing in FOTR Extended was much worse (although he sounded fine in ROTK).

(This post was edited by morgul lord on Jan 12 2013, 12:35am)

morgul lord
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 12:33am

Post #24 of 78 (628 views)
Shortcut
She does not go off-key. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm speaking as a musician, who plays multiple instruments. Her voice was rough, as was the melody and the anglo-saxon lyrics, but it was not off key.

(This post was edited by morgul lord on Jan 12 2013, 12:37am)

Rane
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 12:33am

Post #25 of 78 (611 views)
Shortcut
Me neither [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book he became more of a warrior when he attacked the spiders in Mirkwood. I think PJ just pushed that development into the first film. It is somewhat disappointing that it happened that way, but it would have happened anyway.

Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.