Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Gandalf's best line? (movie)
Poll: Gandalf's best line? (movie)
"So you do all who live to see such times... but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you."
"Fool of a took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!"
"I am Gandalf the White. And I come to you now, at the turn of the tide."
"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins... nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."
"White shores... and beyond... a fair greeen country, under a swift sunrise." (that whole speech)
"Here at last, on the shores of sea... comes the end of our fellowship."
"You... shall not... PASS!"
View Results (90 votes)

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Nov 30 2007, 6:59pm

Post #1 of 25 (966 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's best line? (movie) Can't Post

Title says it all, which of these would you say is Gandalf's best line throughout all the movies?

Patty
Immortal

Nov 30 2007, 10:12pm

Post #2 of 25 (698 views)
Shortcut
Good poll, NoseofSauron... [In reply to] Can't Post

"...so do all who live to see such times..."

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2007, 12:26am

Post #3 of 25 (655 views)
Shortcut
My biggest problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

is choosing my favorite. I love them all.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2007, 4:30am

Post #4 of 25 (652 views)
Shortcut
You...shall not...PASS! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a pretty easy decision, although "I come to you now at the turn of the tide," is a strong second.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2007, 5:15am

Post #5 of 25 (709 views)
Shortcut
They all [In reply to] Can't Post

give me goosebumps. But I have to go with "All we have to decide..." It's one of the book and movie's very best lines. Makes me want to sit down and read and watch them all again.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2007, 4:46am

Post #6 of 25 (609 views)
Shortcut
but??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's 'fly you fools....fly!'?????????

Tyler
Lorien

Dec 2 2007, 6:26am

Post #7 of 25 (729 views)
Shortcut
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins... nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileIt just reminds me of Gandalf

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Dec 3 2007, 3:46am

Post #8 of 25 (606 views)
Shortcut
oops! :S [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where's 'fly you fools....fly!'?????????

Sorry mate!

lol just reminded me of a comic I saw, where Gandalf is falling into the abyss shouting, "I can't fly, you fools!"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 3 2007, 7:51pm

Post #9 of 25 (610 views)
Shortcut
I voted for the first one because [In reply to] Can't Post

it was echoing through my mind in the months before LotR came out. We'd just been through 9/11, and my mom was very ill, and those words kept me going.

Dagonet
Lorien

Dec 4 2007, 5:27am

Post #10 of 25 (583 views)
Shortcut
"Fly you fools!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely should have been a choice, it was very dramatic.Wink

Únethora´

Dec 4 2007, 11:26pm

Post #11 of 25 (572 views)
Shortcut
Can't decide [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all tied up for me between: "So you do all who live to see such times... but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." (I should learn from this quote), "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins... nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." (Not sure why, I just always have to smile at that line), "Here at last, on the shores of sea... comes the end of our fellowship." (It just strikes a cord deep in my soul, though why I can't tell), and the speech about death to Pippin (Just beautiful).

Ciars
Rohan

Dec 7 2007, 4:57pm

Post #12 of 25 (581 views)
Shortcut
The 1st! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its one of THE lines and kinda sums up the theory behind the books.

Goldberry
The Shire

Dec 19 2007, 10:46pm

Post #13 of 25 (552 views)
Shortcut
"White shores..." [In reply to] Can't Post

This little speech has given me more hope than any line or passage from any book, sacred or otherwise, I've ever read.

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 20 2007, 1:58am

Post #14 of 25 (538 views)
Shortcut
"White shores" for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Between how Gandalf says his lines and Shore's haunting music, it speaks to my soul and lends comfort to it.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 6:18pm

Post #15 of 25 (533 views)
Shortcut
my favorite speech in both movie & book [In reply to] Can't Post

is when he gives Frodo the speech about mercy and not being too quick to judge.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2007, 6:31am

Post #16 of 25 (523 views)
Shortcut
Pity and Mercy [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I even brought a pro-death penalty lawyer around with the very lines

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?

Lossefalme
Gondor

Dec 27 2007, 4:30pm

Post #17 of 25 (498 views)
Shortcut
Tough call, but I'll go with the first choice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I often think of that entire speech, especially after watching the news or hearing of some horrible tragedy. It gives me resolve and a sense of purpose, as well as reassurance that I'm "meant to be here" in this time and place.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 28 2007, 1:02am

Post #18 of 25 (514 views)
Shortcut
really? [In reply to] Can't Post

wow.

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Jan 5 2008, 6:34am

Post #19 of 25 (480 views)
Shortcut
Same here exactly N/T [In reply to] Can't Post

Narya
The Shire

Jan 6 2008, 9:41pm

Post #20 of 25 (566 views)
Shortcut
So many to choose from [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't decide on this one, they were all pretty cool as were more besides. The Turning of the Tide remark was significant, because of course that's exactly what that moment was.

The most significant comment of all, not just by Gandalf but by any character, was, I always felt, the "Pity? It was pity that stayed his hand" speech, but it's not listed above. I don't blame you for that because I don't think that the hollywood director realised the emphasis that it was supposed to be given. But that speech by Gandalf went right to the heart and core and soul of the whole tale. Pity and mercy were symbolic of the difference between the two sides, and were also the reasons why, in the end, the free peoples triumphed over evil, desperately close though it was.

Eruantion87
The Shire

Jan 16 2008, 1:37am

Post #21 of 25 (490 views)
Shortcut
Swift sunrise... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think it would end this way.

End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it.

What? Gandalf?... See what?

White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Well, that isn't so bad.

No... No it isn't.

Come on, you cannot get any better than that...

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16 2008, 4:50am

Post #22 of 25 (464 views)
Shortcut
I love the line [In reply to] Can't Post

that goes something like:"Understand this - things are now in motion that cannot be undone..." Spoken with such authority.

I also love the 'turn of the tide' line, but my all-time favourite is definitely the one about deciding what to do with the time you have been given. It's so significant in the film and makes me think about my own life, too.

The 'white shores..' conversation between Gandalf and Pippin makes me cry like a baby.

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 19 2008, 3:37pm

Post #23 of 25 (1472 views)
Shortcut
You shall not PASS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Because is such a heartbreaking moment and also, my borther and I used to fool around and repeat this line all the time! (we were just kids) I like very much what he says to the Balrog beafore saying that, I remember my friends who went to the movies with me and didn't read the book, asked me: what a hell is a flmae of Udun (or however you write that Tongue)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 7:54pm

Post #24 of 25 (352 views)
Shortcut
"So do all who live to see such times . . ." [In reply to] Can't Post

That's probably the best of these selections. It really made me rethink life. Another one that I think is great is (see signature).

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 5 2009, 2:44am

Post #25 of 25 (288 views)
Shortcut
Tough choice [In reply to] Can't Post

but I went with his verbal drubbing of Pippin. I was going t pick the 1st one but in the book or movie the "fool of a took" line always makes me lol. The 1st choice offered is just massively on target; but I like to laugh so there you goCool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.