Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Exceedingly short night with the Eagles (and a couple others maybe)

Nevrast
Bree

Jan 11 2013, 6:42pm

Views: 800
Shortcut
Exceedingly short night with the Eagles (and a couple others maybe) Can't Post

People have previously acknowledged that PJ's Middle Earth has compressed geography, but now with AUJ it seems like it has very compressed time as well.

I noticed this especially at the end of the movie. As the company makes their way out of the goblin tunnels and down into the forrest the sun is setting. Just as the sun sets Azog & co are upon them. This scene seems to take place in relatively real time and doesn't take that long. The eagles then rescue them, fly through the night for a bit and then the sun rises. As they stand on the Carrock it is most definitely dawn.

So where did all that time go? There should be at LEAST 7-8 hours of darkness.

Are we supposed to believe that it took the eagles that long to fly to the Carrock? Maybe, but surely those huge birds could fly faster than that over a relatively short distance. Moreover, if it really was going to take that long, wouldn't they stop for a bit to check up on Thorin? Gandalf seemed *very* concerned about Thorin when he got off on the Carrock and the impression I got was that Thorin was very close to death without Gandalf's help. If Thorin wasn't close to death and Gandalf just woke up him from being stunned don't you think he probably wouldn't have woken up from being knocked out during those 7 hours or so flying through the air? Don't you think Gandalf or the others or even the eagles and benevolent beings would want to check in on him?

I can't think of any sort of reasonable explanation for this. I think they just really liked having the sunset and sunrise lighting for both those scenes. Maybe an earlier version featured a stop at the Eyrie where they checked up on Thorin, but with this cut they added in Gandalf worried about Thorin on the Carrock but couldn't change the time of day.

There were a couple other cases where night seemed to pass in the blink of an eye:

First, the White Council. When Gandalf goes up with Elrond and sees Galadriel & Saruman it appears that everyone in Rivendell is still up and about. Perhaps they had a very late night, but I can't imagine it would be *that* late after they just came in from a day of being chased by wargs and orcs after a night with trolls. Then the next time we see the white council it is dawn and in the same place? They only now seem to be talking about the important things. Did they all go to bed and then come back in the morning? That's possible and is maybe indicated by Galadriel's costume change. It seems strange though still. Why not just have them meet at night or if it's the next day why not have them just meet for the first time then. It seems again like a case of the production favouring pretty lighting over something that makes sense. This is the most easy one to explain though.

Secondly, the troll night seems to be exceptionally short as well. When this whole sequence begins Bilbo is bringing dinner to Fili & Kili. Bilbo gets captured and we seem to experience the whole sequence in real time up until the Dwarves coming in to try and rescue him. The fight scene doesn't seem to be missing much time either.

By this point I can't imagine it's much past midnight even if they got going on dinner really late. Did putting the Dwarves in bags and on the spit really take them almost till dawn? I suppose it's possible with the stupid trolls, but even that seems a little stupid for them. Where did five hours or more go?

Subject User Time
Exceedingly short night with the Eagles (and a couple others maybe) Nevrast Send a private message to Nevrast Jan 11 2013, 6:42pm
    Interesting observation. ashonmytomatoes Send a private message to ashonmytomatoes Jan 11 2013, 6:48pm
    It's a deliberate stylistical choice. Lightice Send a private message to Lightice Jan 11 2013, 6:48pm
        That's what I thought as well Rane Send a private message to Rane Jan 11 2013, 6:49pm
        Yes, but what has happened in that time? Nevrast Send a private message to Nevrast Jan 11 2013, 6:50pm
            You are meant to use your imagination. Lightice Send a private message to Lightice Jan 11 2013, 7:01pm
                I've used my imagination Nevrast Send a private message to Nevrast Jan 11 2013, 7:13pm
                    imagination and sense are sometimes mutually exclusive hutch Send a private message to hutch Jan 11 2013, 11:42pm
                    I think when the Eagles decide to help in Middle Earth Kirly Send a private message to Kirly Jan 12 2013, 8:22pm
        yep, stylistic, and perhaps it can be trivially explained as a symptom of the fairy-talism ? maybe that's an excuse ;) // Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb Jan 12 2013, 12:25am
    Perhaps the eagles need to stay in the air for a couple of hours for a reason? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 11 2013, 7:07pm
        Go to a high peak, set Thorin down, have Gandalf check on him and then fly again Nevrast Send a private message to Nevrast Jan 11 2013, 7:15pm
            Perhaps that's what Gandalf did DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 11 2013, 7:23pm
    Bigger problem with the trolls.... Eurolock Send a private message to Eurolock Jan 11 2013, 7:33pm
    Bingo stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Jan 11 2013, 8:39pm
    Maybe they had a rough night and they hate the flying Eagles. breezin Send a private message to breezin Jan 12 2013, 12:09am
    Could eagles fly all night? sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Jan 12 2013, 2:07am
        Initial google search on eagles imin Send a private message to imin Jan 12 2013, 12:34pm
            Probably a myth ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 12 2013, 1:14pm
                They land on the water imin Send a private message to imin Jan 12 2013, 1:32pm
            but sharku Send a private message to sharku Jan 12 2013, 2:39pm
            Thank you, rationalization accepted. sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Jan 12 2013, 5:01pm
    EE Retro315 Send a private message to Retro315 Jan 12 2013, 7:25am
    I think the missing time goes at the other end dave_lf Send a private message to dave_lf Jan 12 2013, 11:42am
    I have no problem with geographic or lengths of time :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jan 12 2013, 1:36pm
    This bothered me a bit as well Rolfina Send a private message to Rolfina Jan 12 2013, 3:05pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.