Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Gardens of sorrow, gardens of hope
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 10:27pm

Post #26 of 41 (185 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info on the "Martha" rose [In reply to] Can't Post

We started out with two bushes and now have several. I swear, all you have to do is cut off a twig and stick it in the ground! The antique roses aren't as showy as the hybrid ones, but simply as shrubs they're more attractive. And "tough" doesn't begin to describe it. Anything that can survive the cycle of the seasons here in Texas without extra water, shade, mulch, etc. is REALLY tough!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 7 2013, 10:40pm

Post #27 of 41 (179 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for showy, you clearly have never laid eyes on Paul Neyron. Laugh

I had one that was over five feet tall and covered in blooms the size of your palm. I had to leave it behind when I moved after being married, and it was like leaving a child behind. Frown

Another favorite is Heritage, although it is technically not an "antique", but developed by David Austin for its similarities to antiques: toughness and beauty.

Yes, we definitely need a gardening thread. I have other geeky tendencies that need an outlet! Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 7 2013, 10:59pm

Post #28 of 41 (187 views)
Shortcut
That article is so moving-- [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so hard to think of those grand old trees and plants left behind. Is there any way, I wonder, that some of the gardens could be preserved somehow? Maybe someone will rebuild there and take care of them again, or is there just too much liquefaction and all? So sad.

And there are your students, pushing back the sadness! You Christchurch folks are amazing, turning destruction into a flower bed.Smile

And yes! to a regular garden thread! Shall we get organized and have a list of whose turn it is next? Do we want weekly/biweekly/or . . .?

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 11:15pm

Post #29 of 41 (196 views)
Shortcut
The land is zoned red [In reply to] Can't Post

which means it cannot be built on again, so all the houses are being demolished, and most of their gardens are going with them.
There are people working to preserve some of the larger trees in these areas, but it's not always practical. The people living there basically have to sell their house, or land, or both to the Government - but that is another story all on its own.
Long term, it is hoped that there will be a greenspace 'corridor' along the river, from the central city out into the suburbs, with cycle tracks and walkways.

If you have a look at this map, you can see a combination of green and red zoned land. If you scroll around, you can see that the majority of red-zoned land follows the river, or is where houses were built on what was previously a wetland. The lateral spreading and liquefaction was so bad in these areas that they have been deemed unsuitable to ever build on again. The other red zoning is on the hills, where some of the cliffs are unstable, and there is an onging danger of rockfall. There are some in-between categories as well, where people are allowed to rebuild on green-zoned land, but will need to meet very specific building requirements for foundations.
All of those red zones you can see are communities that will be no more. It's very, very sad.

Do you think we are meant to ask the admins about a regular gardening / nature watching thread, or are we allowed to just go for it?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 7 2013, 11:46pm

Post #30 of 41 (177 views)
Shortcut
Just go for it. [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the abandoned land, I have a picture in my head of km after km of land alongside the river where the ornamental and edible plants from the former homes are retained and maintained for a unique historical garden. I think that would be a lovely interactive memorial of all those families who had called the land home for more than a century.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2013, 11:50pm

Post #31 of 41 (187 views)
Shortcut
Just go for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

You might want to pick a day of the week, and decide who will start it, and then a catchy title like "It's the Weekly Gardening and Nature Watching Thread" Tongue (I'm sure you can come up with something better! Laugh).

Then, watch it grow! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 12:04am

Post #32 of 41 (168 views)
Shortcut
Ok, we'll go for it! Suggestions in here please [In reply to] Can't Post

1: Shall we have a rotation for hosting duties? Sign up!
2: How often shall we have it?
3: What shall it be called - I like Magpie's idea about it being inclusive ie: not only to talk about gardening

What say you?

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 12:09am

Post #33 of 41 (160 views)
Shortcut
I think Diana Magdin, [In reply to] Can't Post

who wrote the article I posted, has some ideas about this. I know she was organising groups to relocate people's precious and heritage plants.
There was a series running in the newspaper about notable trees in the red zone. Some of the trees were ancient, and they all had stories. I really hope some of those trees and the gardens can remain.

I don't know that gardens are high on Gerry Brownlee's wish-list though. Frown

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 10:27am

Post #34 of 41 (188 views)
Shortcut
I keep thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

of Ithilien. New Ithilien, maybe, where the garden of Christchurch now desolate, keeps still a dishevelled dryad loveliness... The thought gives me hope. I love the really wild style of "English garden" for true relaxation and reflection. Even without any half-hidden hobbit statues for visitors to stumble onto...

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 1:08pm

Post #35 of 41 (178 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's so appropriate in a Tolkien Forum, to salute an author who has been accused of "the landscapes having more personality than the people" in his worksSmile. In that vien, I think it would be fantastic to have a "Nature" thread...where people come to celebrate the simple joys of whatever bit of God's earth they live on, not just gardens. What's so great about the landscape where you live, and how do people in your area celebate it? Who knows, you could live in Phoenix, Arizona, and there could be a group that does someting unique in the desert. Or you just love to go out to the desert and admire the place.

As long as Nature is the theme, you could write about anything that inspired you or did something great that past week, like a Nature-themed "Fiesta Friday."

Brainstorming for a name...something Tolkien-y, like "The Legacy of Arda: Our Weekly Nature-lovers thread" maybe. . "Are you a gardener, or an artist or musician, or do you like to hike or enjoy other outdoor sports, or an author? Or did you do something theraputic outdoors this week? Talk about it here." Share pics etc. I know a lot of folks like to share pics of seasonal landscapes and talk about hiking trips, etc. that could all go here.

It would also be great b/c there'd be something more positive to look forward to, people doing positive things in the places they live , when the headlines around the world are so depressing these days (which is why incresingly I don't watch or read the news:)

Just nonsense rambling. And thank you for the kindreply Starling. Have to go off to work, so I can't reply more now:)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 8 2013, 1:11pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 5:41pm

Post #36 of 41 (170 views)
Shortcut
That is a lovely thought. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 11:15pm

Post #37 of 41 (153 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for this post and link to the lovely article 'Gardens of Sorrow' [In reply to] Can't Post

it made me cry. But then not all tears are an evil, right? *sniffs*

I love your 'garden of hope' idea --- so good for the kids and, hopefully, the adults as well. Can you plant sunflowers? They to me symbolise optimism. Too bad I can't send you any from our own 'seed bombs' (which we threw into the fenced-in wasteland where our beloved Schlossgarten park used to be last spring) because I don't think one is allowed to send seeds to NZ (or carry them on an airplane, either?)

And belatedly, best wishes for your birthday --- may you and all the people in Christchurch have passed the nadir and rebuild in peace! And may your clematis flourish always and give you joy.

(sorry if this sounds awfully mushy but ... !)

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 11:55pm

Post #38 of 41 (140 views)
Shortcut
How 'bout bi-weekly so people [In reply to] Can't Post

can sort of "store up" enough nature experiences or of gardening results or new recipes out of their gardens (etc.) to have a longer thread?

And should we have the list of hosts for 4 upcoming threads (2 months) or longer? or shorter?

I'm not a great organizer, so maybe somebody else could figure out how best to do it, and post the request for each new list like they do in the Reading Room?

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2013, 8:24am

Post #39 of 41 (136 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing like new life to lift the spirits. Smile

And BTW, Happy Birthday and Merry TORniversary! SmileSmile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 11 2013, 4:53pm

Post #40 of 41 (125 views)
Shortcut
I live a peripatetic life [In reply to] Can't Post

I move a lot, usually not by choice. I console myself with the thought that I always leave a garden behind.

(Although I can't drive by the house my husband & I owned because we gardened every inch of the property before selling it to nongardeners who have let it all go to weeds.)

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 11 2013, 5:49pm

Post #41 of 41 (148 views)
Shortcut
Gee Starling i missed this thread somehow, [In reply to] Can't Post

but let me contribute this poem for here i believe, it will grow.

The Garden Of The Mind

by Victor Gatenby

We are but fragile,
our mind, body and
soul,
engineered, finely tuned,
nimble and agile.

Great care must be taken,
as the very fabric,
can be broken or torn,
before it is time and
through wear and tear,
it is worn.

So, my friends,
it leads me to this.
The body is like a garden,
to be enjoyed with simplicity
and such bliss.

The mind is like a garden bed,
waiting for seeds to be sown,
watered and fed.

Sowing seeds of positive nature,
cultivating to grow, develop and
with care, nurture.
Positive seeds, growing into seedlings
firmly taking hold,
maturing into a plant of positive thought.
It is only with the thought being sown
in the first place,
that the mind is being trained and taught.

From the positive mind,
shall grow and blossom with success,
the fruits of life,
happiness, contentment
with no stress.

On the other hand,
to sow a seed of negative kind,
yes, the seed will grow, develop and bear
fruit of bitterness, to fall by the wayside
of the land.
The seed of negative thought therefore will
be a failure,
not nice, not an inkling of goodness
and has no place in the
garden of your mind.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.