Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Placing Unused Parts of the Soundtrack?

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 12:53pm

Post #1 of 11 (570 views)
Shortcut
Placing Unused Parts of the Soundtrack? Can't Post

I think it's well-documented at this point that the soundtrack as heard in the film is rather different than that featured on the soundtrack release. I wondered if anyone had yet tried to sync parts up to see how well they correspond to parts of the film (if at all)? I see someone on YouTube for example has placed the alternate album composition over the second Thorin/Azog encounter, taking the place of the variation of the 'Ringwraith' theme. I have made some attempts though I imagine this will be done in greater detail over the coming months (and especially with the DVD/Blu-ray release):

- Approx. 1:05-1:57 of 'My Dear Frodo' – roughly from the end of the alternative (and far better) rendition of the Shire theme that should play over 'The Hobbit' title to the first strains of the Erebor theme – is difficult to place. The full track itself is certainly too short to accompany the Prologue in its entirety. If you try to play it through you only reach the shots of the map before you hear the Erebor theme. As it is I like the film version with its use of the Gandalf Farewell theme just as much.
Parts of the track are slightly different from the soundtrack, but perhaps most interesting is that the music for Smaug’s attack on Dale is a good bit longer on the album – perhaps this sequence will be longer in the Extended Edition? Also, I much prefer the pounding version of Thorin’s theme as it appears on the album (5:44) and interestingly it matches up extremely well if you play from about here to the end of the prologue, give or take a second or two. I don’t understand why they went with the more subdued music in the film which accompanies Thorin and Thrain’s march to the door.

- 4:43 onwards in ‘Axe or Sword?’ syncs almost perfectly if you play it from where Gandalf begins to talk about Bullroarer Took – where the Shire theme is used in the film - and let it run to where Bilbo walks off and the scene moves to Balin and Thorin. In the film we only hear the second part of ‘Bilbo’s theme’ as Gandalf sits down, and even then it is only a small part. ‘Bilbo’s theme’ is perhaps the greatest loss of all the music snippets, since scenes featuring it are either removed (Bilbo in Rivendell), without music, or scored instead with a variation of the Shire theme, as is the case here. Perhaps Jackson somehow didn’t like this particular theme, which we only really hear in full in ‘Dreaming of Bag End’ during the credits.

- The first half of ‘The World is Ahead’ again matches up well if you begin from the moment the Company is moving out, with the playful theme associated with Bilbo kicking in from the moment we see him running. What is clear however is that this entire track cannot be intended to score the entire sequence (Bilbo joining, the collection of the bets, Bilbo forgetting his handkerchief, the wide shots set to the ‘Misty Mountains’ theme) – it’s too short. Unless of course we presume that some parts of the sequence were originally without music.

- It might give the game away, but I have to say that the ‘Sauron/Morder’ theme which accompanies the appearance of the Necromancer at Dol Guldur in ‘The Hill of Sorcery’ makes the scene much more intense and creepy. An unfortunate loss.

- It would seem that approx. 0:39-2.16 of 'Over Hill' was intended to score the sequence between Galadriel and Gandalf in Rivendell. Possibly the 'Lothlorien' music is meant to begin a short way through the scene, or there should be a slight pause between the conclusion of that theme and the music which signals Galadriel's question 'Why the Halfling?'. The use of parts of 'The Breaking of the Fellowship' from the FOTR OST is perhaps the most troubling part of the soundtrack as heard in the film. It just doesn't work and is one of my most hoped-for changes in the EE. Jackson appears to be trying to make the scene more emotional than it actually is, forcing a reaction from the audience by using a particularly emotive piece of music from the LOTR trilogy. It's a lovely scene of course, but not one that is likely to move you to tears. In that sense, the music as heard in 'Over Hill' is far more appropriate I think. Another change I really can't fathom.

I know there's a lot more possibilites for discussion here, especially from the later parts of the soundtrack. I'm interested to see what others come up with. You'll have to forgive me as I'm not very fluent in technical aspects of music - I just love these scores. I imagine those more knowledgeable and conversant with the themes can come up with a far better comparison and analysis in time.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jan 10 2013, 12:54pm)

riverwalker11
The Shire

Jan 10 2013, 3:06pm

Post #2 of 11 (232 views)
Shortcut
could you provide a link? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a link to that youtube clip you mention?

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 3:43pm

Post #3 of 11 (209 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cqZNTFd2O8&list=UUrPINOdT7oRijGMIT1hIjwQ&index=1

Hopefully I'm allowed to link to this.

Certainly I think the moment from Thorin standing to when he's hit works better, though I have to admit to liking the 'Dum Dum' in the film version as Azog turns round on his Warg. I also think the more sombre music after this part in the film works better than that on the album soundtrack. So my preference would be for a mixture of the two. In the interest of fairness I should say I do prefer parts of the film soundtrack (the music playing over the Eagle scene being the most obvious choice) over that provided on the album.

riverwalker11
The Shire

Jan 10 2013, 3:44pm

Post #4 of 11 (208 views)
Shortcut
Removed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, but it has in fact been removed from Youtube for copyright purposes. Thanks anyway!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 4:11pm

Post #5 of 11 (194 views)
Shortcut
Shame [In reply to] Can't Post

Oddly it still works for me. Is this one of those situations where it's removed for copyright purposes in some countries but not in others? I am in the UK.

cartermoulton
Bree

Jan 10 2013, 5:33pm

Post #6 of 11 (174 views)
Shortcut
ahhh! [In reply to] Can't Post

i want to see this video! nice list OP, i wonder if any of this will be changed for the EE? maybe some of this music will find its way in.

(This post was edited by cartermoulton on Jan 10 2013, 5:35pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 8:54pm

Post #7 of 11 (225 views)
Shortcut
Regarding 'Edge of the Wild' [In reply to] Can't Post

Another thing - has anyone noticed how the first 1m 7secs of the bonus track 'The Edge of the Wild' matches up almost perfectly with the wonderful sweeping shots of the Company embarking from Rivendell? This would accord with what Thorin says about them 'about to step over the edge of the wild' just two scenes beforehand. In its place in the film is the building, grand statement of the 'Misty Mountains' theme, but I think both work equally well to be honest. That said, the remainder of 'Edge of the Wild' does not go with the Stone Giants sequence. I wonder if indeed this part is meant to score Gandalf in the High Fells, and is perhaps further evidence of this scene interrupting the sequence of the Coompany walking and them traversing the mountains in the storm?

It might just be an early alternative, but I do wonder if PJ wanted the grand version of the 'Misty Mountains' theme from the trailer in there and requested this change.

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 11 2013, 1:13am

Post #8 of 11 (102 views)
Shortcut
Which track featured the children's choir? [In reply to] Can't Post

It had to do with Radagast, no? I really was hoping to hear that one in the film, as it was chilling, exciting and my favourite new piece of music on the ST.

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

Êleniel Tindome
Bree

Jan 11 2013, 10:20am

Post #9 of 11 (69 views)
Shortcut
Radagast the Brown Track ? [In reply to] Can't Post

do you refer to the child choir in the beginnig of "Radagast the Brown"? This choir represents Gandalfs second theme.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 11:43am

Post #10 of 11 (68 views)
Shortcut
Not in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

The music is heard when Gandalf discusses the Five Wizards, though the choral part is removed.

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 11 2013, 12:47pm

Post #11 of 11 (55 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thanks for catching that :) \\ [In reply to] Can't Post

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.