Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Probably not the answer you are looking for ...

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 11 2013, 10:59am

Views: 183
Shortcut
Probably not the answer you are looking for ... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first read the LOTR books (and TH, and even more so for The Silmarillion), I never equated any of Middle-earth's locations to any real-world locations. Perhaps this is because I was young at the time, and not particularly well travelled. Why would I imagine the Misty Mountains being the Alps, if I had never been? Before the films (and even today), I don't think of x, y and z location being like x, y and z part of Middle-earth. Does that make sense? These places would be complete fabrications in my head, based on the words Tolkien had written down.

Obviously, after seeing the films my "vision" of Middle-earth is greatly altered. NZ is Middle-earth and today I can now imagine parts of England being the Shire, and the Alps being like the Misty Mountains. But that really only applies to the films.

To answer your question, I don't think my vision of Middle-earth changes, nor is a based on any real-world location or features. I could live in any country, in any climate, and Middle-earth (in my head) would still be the same.

Subject User Time
Where in the world is Middle-earth for you? SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 11 2013, 12:58am
    A small seaside village in New England. // squire Send a private message to squire Jan 11 2013, 1:24am
    New Zealand and Hawaii flameofudun Send a private message to flameofudun Jan 11 2013, 4:27am
    A lot of it is in Scotland Rolfina Send a private message to Rolfina Jan 11 2013, 7:29am
    New Zealand and my Uncle and Aunt's backyard BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Jan 11 2013, 10:42am
    Probably not the answer you are looking for ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 11 2013, 10:59am
        I've had pretty much the same experience as you. Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Jan 11 2013, 4:30pm
    I am sure this is the same for most . . . Beren0nehanded Send a private message to Beren0nehanded Jan 11 2013, 1:46pm
    New Zealand and where I live grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jan 12 2013, 12:58am
    Definitely NOT where I live zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Jan 12 2013, 5:53am
    Where is Middle earth for me willowing Send a private message to willowing Jan 12 2013, 10:30pm
    Lucky in my own experience :) Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Jan 12 2013, 11:23pm
        That's the spirit! SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 13 2013, 2:42am
    I wonder if we should identify silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 13 2013, 12:37am
        Yes please, I'll have some of that! Nienna Send a private message to Nienna Jan 13 2013, 1:15am
        I thought Squire describing it as a womb was apt. // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 13 2013, 2:44am
            Out or in? squire Send a private message to squire Jan 13 2013, 4:16pm
                And how would our Sam have answered this question, silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 13 2013, 9:13pm
    I can't liken it to anywhere I know.... the_argonath Send a private message to the_argonath Jan 13 2013, 10:20pm
    middle earth for me jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 15 2013, 1:38am
    Middle earth to me... pippinmaniac Send a private message to pippinmaniac Jan 15 2013, 5:03am
        That's two votes for Tennessee. SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 15 2013, 5:06am
    some late thoughts to add... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jan 16 2013, 9:50pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.