Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Where in the world is Middle-earth for you?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 11 2013, 12:58am

Views: 352
Shortcut
Where in the world is Middle-earth for you? Can't Post

This thread is inspired by a philosophical comment Imin made last week, geordie's and entmaiden's responses, and something sil said just today.

Imin said:

depends on how a person sees middle earth

... If they have read the books then they will most likely think of wherever they know best as inspiration for their imaginations on creating the landscape...

Geordie said:

Yes, that's true

-Ithink that (before the movies anyway) people thought of Middle-earth as part of their own experience. I've never seen mountains, but in my mind the Misty Moutains are Switzerland. But home tends to be where people place their idea of the Shire. I know a Dutch bloke who says that for him, the Shire is flat, with canals and windmills.

Entmaiden said:

I've been to New Zealand twice

and I think it's an amazingly beautiful country, but it's not Middle-earth to me. That's probably because I read the books many, many times before I saw the movies, so my Middle-earth is firmly fixed in my mind.

Rohan to me is more like the middle of the US, with miles and miles of rolling plains, and not the rocky terrain of the movies. The mountains are like either the US Rocky Mountains or the Swiss Alps, and while I don't have specific counterparts for the Old Forest, Mirkwood and Fangorn, my idea of Fangorn at least is not at all what the movies depicted.

I love the movies, but I've been able to keep my version of Middle-earth and the characters intact.

Sil said:

...but i am sure you all have a shire essence right where you now stand.

Now I don't mean for this discussion to devolve into a debate about why x is more like Middle-earth (M-e) than y; nor is this meant to take anything away from NZ as representative of M-e in "the films."

Rather, if the idea is true -- that is if M-e is more of an essence than a set of physical or geographical features -- please: tell us where M-e is for you (approximately); and describe the features of that place (note geordie's comment in particular) and the feelings it evokes. For that matter, is Middle-earth something you carry with you, like an idea or a memory, no matter where in the world you go?

(Thanks to Imin, et al for the use of their comments)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 11 2013, 1:06am)

Subject User Time
Where in the world is Middle-earth for you? SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 11 2013, 12:58am
    A small seaside village in New England. // squire Send a private message to squire Jan 11 2013, 1:24am
    New Zealand and Hawaii flameofudun Send a private message to flameofudun Jan 11 2013, 4:27am
    A lot of it is in Scotland Rolfina Send a private message to Rolfina Jan 11 2013, 7:29am
    New Zealand and my Uncle and Aunt's backyard BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Jan 11 2013, 10:42am
    Probably not the answer you are looking for ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 11 2013, 10:59am
        I've had pretty much the same experience as you. Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Jan 11 2013, 4:30pm
    I am sure this is the same for most . . . Beren0nehanded Send a private message to Beren0nehanded Jan 11 2013, 1:46pm
    New Zealand and where I live grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jan 12 2013, 12:58am
    Definitely NOT where I live zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Jan 12 2013, 5:53am
    Where is Middle earth for me willowing Send a private message to willowing Jan 12 2013, 10:30pm
    Lucky in my own experience :) Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Jan 12 2013, 11:23pm
        That's the spirit! SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 13 2013, 2:42am
    I wonder if we should identify silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 13 2013, 12:37am
        Yes please, I'll have some of that! Nienna Send a private message to Nienna Jan 13 2013, 1:15am
        I thought Squire describing it as a womb was apt. // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 13 2013, 2:44am
            Out or in? squire Send a private message to squire Jan 13 2013, 4:16pm
                And how would our Sam have answered this question, silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 13 2013, 9:13pm
    I can't liken it to anywhere I know.... the_argonath Send a private message to the_argonath Jan 13 2013, 10:20pm
    middle earth for me jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 15 2013, 1:38am
    Middle earth to me... pippinmaniac Send a private message to pippinmaniac Jan 15 2013, 5:03am
        That's two votes for Tennessee. SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 15 2013, 5:06am
    some late thoughts to add... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jan 16 2013, 9:50pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.