Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dwarves; and why we love them

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 9:51pm

Views: 664
Shortcut
Dwarves; and why we love them Can't Post

I'm a dwarf lover, always have been. When my older brother and his friends where running about as Aragorn and Legolas I would sure as the sun rises be Gimli (due to the fact I was shorter at the time and loved the character). So my love of all things dwarf got me the most excited for The Hobbit. I have compiled a list of what I loved about their design and culture in the film and would love to hear what you guys loved about them!

Erebor- Goodness me it was spectacular, the sheer vastness and craft of the halls where remarkable. Much better than a simple hollowed out mountain with some pillars, Alan Lee and John Howe never cease to amaze me with their designs.

The beards/hair- While many beards may have not been on Gimli's par (*cough* Kil*) there where many that rival or exceeded it! The things these dwarves could do with hair was a delight. From Thrór's beard to Nori's hair every bit of hair on these dwarves was awesome to behold.

Thrain and Dwalin's tattoos- On my second viewing I noticed that Thrain had a tattoo between his eyebrows of what looked like a mountain. But of course Dwalin out does everyone in the tattoo field, the tattoos on his skull and and his hands reading "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai menu!" 

Thorin and Company- I loved them all, nuff' said. 

Dwarf women- For ages dwarf women have been a joke almost, imagining Gimli in a dress was often what seemed to be the final verdict on their appearance. But the way Peter Jackson had them looking was spectacular; not very large beards more of fuzz on the chin and long whispy sideburns often decorated with jewelry, and hair that nearly broke the clouds being braided in more ways than even Nori could dream of.

The skill of the dwarves- The way the film portrayed the machine like efficiency of a group of dwarves did not shine brighter than when they where carrying out the act of cleaning dishes. Like clockwork they where able to clean an entire dining room that had served 12 hungry dwarves and one wizard in a matter of about a minute and a half (And sing at the same time!)

The wealth of the dwarves- As all who saw the movie know, Thrór and his people had done fairly well from themselves and had obtained practically mountains of gold and gems, Thrór was often seen scuttling 
about his Scrooge Mcduck sized hoard in the late hours of the night. The sheer quantity of the wealth shown was mind blowing, and the way dwarven wealth puts others in danger was shown in a mind blowing fashion as well...

Smaug's attack- This dragon terrifies me and we have not even seen him yet. The only thing comparable to the destruction he causes is a nuclear blast. And yet the dwarves meet him at their door! Once again showing the badassery of their entire race.

Bofur's hat- Possibly the greatest bit of craft to ever come from the dwarves.

Well I'm sure there are some splendid things I left out, this film was full of dwarfy goodness!

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

Subject User Time
Dwarves; and why we love them Oin's parasite Send a private message to Oin's parasite Jan 10 2013, 9:51pm
    All great points Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 10 2013, 10:01pm
    The Dwarves were great in AUJ ashonmytomatoes Send a private message to ashonmytomatoes Jan 10 2013, 11:24pm
    Dwarf love Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 11 2013, 1:04am
    It's true marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Jan 11 2013, 1:26am
    My own Dwarf love . . . Beren0nehanded Send a private message to Beren0nehanded Jan 11 2013, 1:20pm
    Dwarves... why did it have to be Dwarves.... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 14 2013, 7:46pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.