Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Barrels out of Bond
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cartermoulton
Bree

Jan 10 2013, 6:26pm

Post #1 of 32 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Barrels out of Bond Can't Post

Am i the only one who's a little nervous about this scene? In an interview with TotalFilm, Jackson said that this scene would be "quite the ride." And, in the production blogs, we see the barrels moving at a speedy pace. In the book, it's much more of a test of patience and surveillance on Bilbo's part. I'm thinking the scene is going to be another 3D attraction wherein the river becomes rapid and twisty-and-turny. Put simply, I'm afraid it's going to become a roller-coaster ride.

exhibit a:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSAUfFX-df4

exhibit b: (at 3:50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI8TM9SJ6jQ

exhibit c: (at 1:19)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kihm2da45sE

i feel such an aesthetic would undermine the tone in tolkien's novel. hopefully, at some point in the scene, there is a slower and more meditative aspect in Jackson's interpretation.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 32 (597 views)
Shortcut
It's for the future LOTR theme park [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be the water ride.

In Reply To
Am i the only one who's a little nervous about this scene? In an interview with TotalFilm, Jackson said that this scene would be "quite the ride." And, in the production blogs, we see the barrels moving at a speedy pace. In the book, it's much more of a test of patience and surveillance on Bilbo's part. I'm thinking the scene is going to be another 3D attraction wherein the river becomes rapid and twisty-and-turny. Put simply, I'm afraid it's going to become a roller-coaster ride.

exhibit a:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSAUfFX-df4

exhibit b: (at 3:50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI8TM9SJ6jQ

exhibit c: (at 1:19)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kihm2da45sE

i feel such an aesthetic would undermine the tone in tolkien's novel. hopefully, at some point in the scene, there is a slower and more meditative aspect in Jackson's interpretation.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 6:53pm

Post #3 of 32 (596 views)
Shortcut
If they would make it slow [In reply to] Can't Post

it might also be a test of audience's patience. Smile And I don't see anything wrong with roller-coaster rides, I think they are fun. Not every scene needs to be slow and meditative, especially in an adventure movie and especially an escape scene. I'm guessing it starts out wild and then calms down, just like a river entering a lake.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 6:55pm

Post #4 of 32 (570 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aren't children's stories allowed to be fun and exciting?

When the dwarves arrive in Lake Town, they are batterd and bruised. A gentle ride downstream would not have occasioned this.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 7:39pm

Post #5 of 32 (495 views)
Shortcut
It's for the future LOTR theme park [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Just point me to Bilbo's house or the Green Dragon, please, and there better not be anything called a "Hobbit Hole" or "Gandalf's Gizzard" or whatever they called those Denny's meals.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 7:54pm

Post #6 of 32 (504 views)
Shortcut
they are allowed to be exciting... [In reply to] Can't Post

But there is a difference between action scenes, and "rollercoaster" action scenes. They could still have barrels going through rapids and such without turning it into a gimmicky and utterly ridiculous sequence.

I'm just worried they will choose to make it akin to the falling bridge in AUJ. Sure it's fun, but it also rips you out of the film.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 8:00pm

Post #7 of 32 (499 views)
Shortcut
There's no turning back now [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is like a theme park ride, it will at least be exciting.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 8:14pm

Post #8 of 32 (426 views)
Shortcut
We need a theme park thread [In reply to] Can't Post

This way we can plan our dream park. Those of us who want one, that is (I would imagine there is a fair sized contingent here who finds this concept untenable. Oh, and Christopher Tolkien).

In Reply To

In Reply To

Just point me to Bilbo's house or the Green Dragon, please, and there better not be anything called a "Hobbit Hole" or "Gandalf's Gizzard" or whatever they called those Denny's meals.

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 8:16pm

Post #9 of 32 (438 views)
Shortcut
What we need is obviously a Silmarillion themepark [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps you and your group of friends start as Noldor and, by the end of the park, all but one of you has met a grisly and tragic fate.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 8:39pm

Post #10 of 32 (410 views)
Shortcut
Ha! You have just described most parents' experiences in theme parks. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Perhaps you and your group of friends start as Noldor and, by the end of the park, all but one of you has met a grisly and tragic fate.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 8:39pm

Post #11 of 32 (421 views)
Shortcut
Shut up and take my money! [In reply to] Can't Post

A Middle-Earth themepark would be amazing and I would be there Day 1, but I bet mean ol' Christopher Tolkien doesn't think it's a great idea .Frown

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 8:41pm

Post #12 of 32 (402 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

We seem to have parked our car in Númenor. Do you know if we had flood insurance?

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 8:46pm

Post #13 of 32 (421 views)
Shortcut
am I the only one? [In reply to] Can't Post

that is glad the barrels scene wasn't a climatic sequence at the AUJ? It's one of my least favorite moments from the books. I think it'll work better as mid-film action set piece than the end of a film. IMO Angelic

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Jan 10 2013, 8:48pm)

R11
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 9:30pm

Post #14 of 32 (378 views)
Shortcut
The problem is [In reply to] Can't Post

Those scenes aren't even fun. They're just plain stupid. These could have so easily been amazing, exciting and highly dramatic movies without all the completely unnecessary and ridiculous crap. All the ingredients were there for what could have been some all time classic films. Instead PJ went for the lowest common denominator, widest audience appeal possible with cheap titillation and mindless, over the top action, so now they're just more of the standard Hollywood churn. The Hobbit deserved so much more than this.

ron

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 9:33pm

Post #15 of 32 (365 views)
Shortcut
I lost my keys [In reply to] Can't Post

But unfortunately they put the lost and found in Gondolin. I've asked everyone for directions, but nobody seems to know where that is...

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 9:45pm

Post #16 of 32 (330 views)
Shortcut
I want... [In reply to] Can't Post

The sinking of Numenor ride...
The Stone Giant Stomp Ride
A Broken Bridge Roller Coaster
The Moria ride ( a lot like the Indiana Jones ride)
The eagles flight ride
Shoot the trolls
Skull toss (from the Paths of the Dead)

for the kids:

Bunny sled ride

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 10:00pm

Post #17 of 32 (313 views)
Shortcut
Other great attractions [In reply to] Can't Post

Barad-dûr funhouse
and maybe Gollum's sushi restaurant with Ainur karaoke

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 10:02pm

Post #18 of 32 (335 views)
Shortcut
As long as the Dwarves get from A to B, I'm not too worried. [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be quite boring on film if the barrels just bobbed up and down for 30 minutes. I could do that in my bath.

cartermoulton
Bree

Jan 10 2013, 10:18pm

Post #19 of 32 (295 views)
Shortcut
agree with [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But there is a difference between action scenes, and "rollercoaster" action scenes. They could still have barrels going through rapids and such without turning it into a gimmicky and utterly ridiculous sequence.

I'm just worried they will choose to make it akin to the falling bridge in AUJ. Sure it's fun, but it also rips you out of the film.

this

carrioncrow
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 10:22pm

Post #20 of 32 (311 views)
Shortcut
and don't forget... [In reply to] Can't Post

some stuff tipping into some other stuff just in time(!!)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 10:30pm

Post #21 of 32 (268 views)
Shortcut
Let's not forget [In reply to] Can't Post

Severed heads catapult game
Minas Morgul Haunted Castle
Rohirrim-go-round

Goblin-head golf

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 10:40pm

Post #22 of 32 (277 views)
Shortcut
in the lotr [In reply to] Can't Post

when going down the anduin they were going slow but it was a beautiful scene. Doesnt need to be super fast white water rafting to be fun.

Sometimes films need to breathe - the first hour of AUJ had time, after that it did not.

For me this will be the trap door moment but in DOS.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 11:21pm

Post #23 of 32 (256 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, of course, that films need time to breathe, and the most beautiful scenes are almost always the quiet, ponderous ones, but if you have nothing but it can get very monotonous very easily. Lotr had a great balance between the quiet and loud, and for the most part, I thought, so did AUJ (altough the latter part of the movie would not have been hurt by a few more exhales amongst the many inhales) Overall though, I feel that an escape scene by river with barrels should be one of those fun and exciting scenes (or at least start out that way), and not one of those quiet, ponderous ones.

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Jan 10 2013, 11:23pm)

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 11:34pm

Post #24 of 32 (253 views)
Shortcut
Really it could work either way [In reply to] Can't Post

It just depends on how they go about it.

I think as long as its not really OTT then it would work as a really fast river with lots of danger, just as it could work being edited more and just showing glimpses of them going down the river slowly with the look on Bilbo's face as he realises what he has just accomplished, combined with feeling wet, cold, sick.

If they make it so bilbo is on spying on Thranduil and the guards, that could be made into a tense but slower paced scene giving a nice contrast and build up to the eventual escape which will all the more exhilarating for having had time to build up to that escape.

I think it could work either way its just i dont think PJ likes to do that in films - he likes to increase the pace as they go along i feel - certainly happened in AUJ

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 11:54pm

Post #25 of 32 (226 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

and I agree wholeheartedly, especially now that I think of the anduin scene you mentioned. I think if it's done like anything the way you describe it (tension building in the scene with Bilbo spying on the guards and helping the dwarves quietly out of their prison, then releasing that tension with an exciting escape down the river, and then finally ending it with a deep calm breath of them floating to the lake and seeing Lake-town) I would be very happy.

We'll see how it's done, and we can then scream how over the top and cartoony it was.Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.