Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How do you eat your apple?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How do you eat your apple?
Leave the core
The whole apple (minus stick)
Depends on my mood / Both ways
Some other way
Don't like apples
View Results (104 votes)

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 4:43am

Post #51 of 124 (490 views)
Shortcut
lol yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

You take those pips out if it makes you feel better - no real point to eating them anyway other than as a bulking agent i guess but that isnt too nice to think about!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:48am

Post #52 of 124 (486 views)
Shortcut
I do not miss red meat anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

having dropped it 40 years ago. Considerations as to heart disease and colorectal cancer and all the additives of growing beef i felt it wise to stop.
Today, i try to use poultry and turkey products that are organically raised. Fish i like that are wild caught once in a while. Sardines are quite excellent in omega 3 oils.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:53am

Post #53 of 124 (495 views)
Shortcut
Well! [In reply to] Can't Post

It that isn't a 'condiment' , i don't know what is!Wink

Heart

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 5:01am

Post #54 of 124 (489 views)
Shortcut
Peppering the thread [In reply to] Can't Post

with puns, is always a recipe for success. Laugh

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 5:02am

Post #55 of 124 (486 views)
Shortcut
I just thought of a ridiculous question. [In reply to] Can't Post

What if GI joe shot for effect, X-lax bullets into a giant blob with no GI tract, what would happenCrazy?

I am going to ask the NOVA people to REsearch this out for me. Questions that need answers!

On that note, off to bed with meTongue.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 5:08am

Post #56 of 124 (485 views)
Shortcut
well, i oregano about that [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you are right, for you are very south of here and way down hill.
Say goodnight sil. Ok ok, Good night all. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2013, 7:32am

Post #57 of 124 (469 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Xanaseb, seems like you've really touched on something here! [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I thought that your eating the whole apple was a Polish thing - the only time I've ever seen anyone eat an apple, core and all, was in Poland - but apparently you are not the only one here who does that. Laugh

I usually slice my apples, or else eat smaller varieties. Somehow, just biting into a large apple makes me feel like I'm going to dislocate my jaw. Shocked

BTW, the best apples I've eaten were in Poland. My landlord there had a never-ending supply of excellent apples, but I didn't eat that many because I felt like they would think I was being wasteful by not eating the entire thing. I only ate them if I could get rid of the tell-tale core. Crazy Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 8:29am

Post #58 of 124 (540 views)
Shortcut
I think Xanaseb [In reply to] Can't Post

is totally hard-core. CoolLaugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 10:16am

Post #59 of 124 (511 views)
Shortcut
That sounds so wrong dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

But I love apples, and I love peanut butter .... I'm going to have to give it a go.

Laugh

Delrond
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 12:38pm

Post #60 of 124 (459 views)
Shortcut
None of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love apples but am allergic to them, unless they are cooked. Same with pears. Frown

So I can no longer sink my teeth into a Red Delicious. It's either apple sauce, apple pie (mmmmm pie), apple crisp, apple crostada, apple pandowdy or apple butter on a fresh biscuit.

As far as my iPod Nano, iPhone and Little D's iPod Touch and iPad, they have survived several years without a single byte.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 12:45pm

Post #61 of 124 (460 views)
Shortcut
Me too :D [In reply to] Can't Post

youngest son also loves it Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2013, 12:50pm

Post #62 of 124 (500 views)
Shortcut
It's always thyme for a pun sub-thread! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2013, 12:55pm

Post #63 of 124 (466 views)
Shortcut
Be sure to use the crunchy peanut butter! [In reply to] Can't Post

The crunchiness contrasts nicely with the smooth apple! Smile

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2013, 1:02pm

Post #64 of 124 (477 views)
Shortcut
Use a corer/slicer [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my sons likes apple slices in his lunchbox, so I have acquired a gadget that one places over the apple and pushes down through the apple to remove the core and slice what remains into 8 pieces. Anything to shave a few minutes off the time it takes to get them out the door in the morning...

So anyway, when I do eat apples I use this thing myself.

Our dog enjoys the apple core, stick and all.Sly

Rolfina
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 1:34pm

Post #65 of 124 (473 views)
Shortcut
A Braeburn a day... [In reply to] Can't Post

chopped up in my breakfast, best apple in the world.

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 3:38pm

Post #66 of 124 (429 views)
Shortcut
Me too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I purchased it at IKEA, and use it all the time. I don't like all the seeds and core stuff, so the apple corer/ slicer is a good friendSmile

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 3:41pm

Post #67 of 124 (441 views)
Shortcut
Well, there are only three of us [In reply to] Can't Post

So it still seems pretty rare, which fits with the reactions I get when people see me eating an apple, core and all.

I must say that this is an amazing thread. We should start a poll on how people eat po-ta-toes next!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2013, 5:18pm

Post #68 of 124 (435 views)
Shortcut
I like salted apples [In reply to] Can't Post

but I rarely do it any more, because of the too-much-salt thing. And I eat the whole thing, core and all.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 6:26pm

Post #69 of 124 (477 views)
Shortcut
I believe i know that item. [In reply to] Can't Post

The wife has one. It has a good suction cup which holds it to the kitchen counter. As a wood worker, it acts like lathe peeling the skin off, and making the main part of the apple into a 'slinky' type that can easily transformed into the makings of an apple pie which she likes to do especially for various holidays. Itt also has a coring element in the process. An all-in-one thingee ha. She can 'knock them out' compared to the old method of peeling and cutting by hand.
...Mouth is watering. Time to make a request i do believe:).

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2013, 7:37pm

Post #70 of 124 (418 views)
Shortcut
No, mine does not peel the apple. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I know what you mean - my sister has one of those.

When I bake apple pies, I need to peel them manually. Fortunately son #2 does not require his sliced apples to be peeled. :)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 7:41pm

Post #71 of 124 (438 views)
Shortcut
That's a good combo [In reply to] Can't Post

Apples & peanut butter - I do that once in a while myself also. Although I prefer creamy pb to chunky Sly.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 7:54pm

Post #72 of 124 (480 views)
Shortcut
Preliminary results are in ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I left the skin on my apple today ... washed it thoroughly ... examined it carefully, took notes (this is for science, remember, must be thorough :-)). And then ... *crunch*.... contemplate ...*munch*.... contemplate ...

And overall it was pretty much was how I remembered it. To me, the skin didn't add anything flavor wise, and actually rather interfered with the sweetness & juice of the inside. The skin was crunchy, which we noted that carefully on our lab sheet ;-), but the apple inside was crunchy too, so to me it didn't really add anything there either.

However...

Today's test subject was a Red Delicious. Which might not have been the best choice. I have a beautiful Gala on hand also, so tomorrow I will try again with a Gala as the test subject!

P.S. There is also the very real possibility that the apples where you live are simply of a different (better?) quality which makes the skins much better tasting than the ones I have access to Unsure.

I also tried Magpie's salt suggestion as separate experiment. Going to post those results in that thread ...!

(This post was edited by Rosie-with-the-ribbons on Jan 11 2013, 6:50pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 8:21pm

Post #73 of 124 (427 views)
Shortcut
Sage advice // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 8:26pm

Post #74 of 124 (443 views)
Shortcut
I am impressed by your dedication [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea how the quality of our apples would compare. That's an interesting discussion in itself, as is the different varieties - most of the types mentioned so far in this thread I have never heard of.

Come to think of it, it is surely time we asked the admins to create a separate 'apple' board. I think there is both the demand, and the need. Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 9:53pm

Post #75 of 124 (442 views)
Shortcut
How did you discover it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or has it always been in your family?

Perhaps this is a good time to mention that I use to eat peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches. Yummy.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.