View Results (104 votes)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 3:06am

Post #26 of 124 (827 views)
Shortcut
well, he likes Fuji apples [In reply to] Can't Post

and the one in the fridge is 3.5 inches in diameter

We also like a locally bred apple: Honeycrisp.

Here's a photo of someone holding a honeycrisp
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/...61296_ab4394f71c.jpg

The chestnut crabs I like are little though.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 3:11am

Post #27 of 124 (835 views)
Shortcut
It really helps a tart apple... [In reply to] Can't Post

one that makes you pucker. But I like it on pretty much all apples.

I learned it from my dad. We also ate watermelon, cantaloupe, and muskmelon with salt on it. And we had radishes and green onions raw on the table that we dipped in a mound of salt we'd put on our plates. And I salt celery sticks before eating them.

I think I've seen people put salt on grapefruit but I don't. And I knew a guy who used to salt his beer.

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 3:12am

Post #28 of 124 (820 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that's way bigger than apples i eat lol [In reply to] Can't Post

That is more of a meal than a snack in terms of size. I am working on getting my appetite smaller though (he says after ordering a 7lb kebab tonight) haha.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 3:14am

Post #29 of 124 (827 views)
Shortcut
you didn't like it!? [In reply to] Can't Post

See, I salt my apples and celery sticks over the waste basket and am sad to sit down with an apple that has salt only on the part that's exposed before I start eating. I really want to salt every cut surface before eating it! :-)

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 3:15am

Post #30 of 124 (827 views)
Shortcut
How much salt are you using? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds incredibly unhealthy.

I have heard of it before when in US but it just sounded too odd turning something healthy into something not - only in USA, lol.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 3:15am

Post #31 of 124 (863 views)
Shortcut
my husband thinks the large apples taste better [In reply to] Can't Post

and he eats way more of them so I buy what he wants. But we cut them up, like I said.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 3:20am

Post #32 of 124 (815 views)
Shortcut
well... if you believe salt is evil, then I guess it is [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm mostly of the mind that there are too many 'this food is evil' reports out, many contradicting themselves, so I don't fuss too much some things. I don't each much processed food so the salt I eat is mostly what I add to the food I'm cooking and eating. Salt is a flavor enhancer.

I sprinkle the salt on. About as much as any other item you'd salt.

The stuff we'd dip in salt used way more salt. I don't eat those anymore mostly because my stomach can't take radishes and raw green onions anymore.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 10 2013, 3:21am)

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 3:27am

Post #33 of 124 (818 views)
Shortcut
I dont believe salt is evil - its vital to life [In reply to] Can't Post

But too much is very bad for you, just as too little is. In todays diets we eat too much, that is why Dr's promote reduced salt intake keeping it under 6g per day.

I have hyperhidrosis so i can actually get away with eating more salt than a regular person.

The thought of using up some of the 6g of salt on fruit just sounds unhealthy but then to me i dont need salt on fruit to make it taste good.

If you dont eat much processed food then im sure its fine for you. In general though most probably aren't eating as good a diet as you are so its probably best to not do so.

On the topic of foods being evil - pretty much no food is completely bad for you when unprocessed its just when messed with we add things which although give longer shelf life etc actually make it worse for our health.

Radhruin
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 3:34am

Post #34 of 124 (831 views)
Shortcut
Salt on grapefruit [In reply to] Can't Post

is the only way to eat it. ; ) I'll have to try it on an apple sometime, as I am not a fan of apples. Maybe that would do the trick. We also eat radishes and celery with a a bit of salt. It makes the flavor pop.

p.s. Hi Magpie, hope all is well!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 3:54am

Post #35 of 124 (829 views)
Shortcut
How about with a goodly slice of old cheddar cheese? [In reply to] Can't Post

This sort of hits the salted apple theme but adds another dimension. The sharpness and dryness of old cheddar contrasts nicely with slices of sweet apples such as Empire or Delicious.

Apples and baked Brie is also a nice combination.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 3:56am

Post #36 of 124 (805 views)
Shortcut
I start by using the 30 white horses on a red hill. [In reply to] Can't Post

First they champ,
Then they stamp,
Then they stand still

Then down the funnel,
a long red tunnel,
Riding on a foamy wave,
Ending down in a swampy cave.

Apples now, well being organic to start with, i just eat all minus the hard core and seeds (that have traces of cyanide* that get released into the body).

If i am using the smoothie machine i use stems and everything but the seeds.

*includes apricot, cherry, plum, and peach pits.
Pits, pits, pits. Nasssty pits precious.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:04am

Post #37 of 124 (800 views)
Shortcut
You mean GI Joe was wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

about which poison apple seeds contain? And I thought that cartoon was supposed to be edumacational -- "knowing is half the battle" indeed. Laugh

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 4:05am

Post #38 of 124 (806 views)
Shortcut
I thought the body can detoxify small doses of cyanide? [In reply to] Can't Post

You have to be a serious apple pip eater to get enough to cause harm i would have thought.

Also the outer shell of an apple seed stops it from being digested it just passes through - though obviously in a blender this wouldnt work, lol.

Cherry, apricot and peach's pips/seeds are much larger so can be harmful if a relatively small number are chewed then swallowed.

Oh and i like your hobbit riddle, lol Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:11am

Post #39 of 124 (809 views)
Shortcut
I really use quite a bit of salt [In reply to] Can't Post

but not on fruit. Protein, vegetables and starches yes.
My mother used to put it on fresh ground coffee before brewing but i do not do that.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:20am

Post #40 of 124 (813 views)
Shortcut
I tell you Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a salt fiend. But the salted apple had me nearly gagging. And I was careful not to put too much on.
I felt I should try it though.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:22am

Post #41 of 124 (806 views)
Shortcut
Yes, i understand there are [In reply to] Can't Post

minute amounts of cyanide in much that we eat, but i feel it is wise to avoid a bit of it if i can especially if it is as easy as apple seeds.
And i would not count on the impermeability of the seed hulls. It just is my method to leave as little to chance as possible. Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:22am

Post #42 of 124 (800 views)
Shortcut
I totally understand the salt on [In reply to] Can't Post

radishes and celery etc. Just keep that salt away from my fruitses.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:24am

Post #43 of 124 (782 views)
Shortcut
Apple and cheese is one of my favourite flavour combos // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:27am

Post #44 of 124 (796 views)
Shortcut
I eat lots of salt [In reply to] Can't Post

and I am very healthy thank you very much. Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:28am

Post #45 of 124 (785 views)
Shortcut
What did GI Joe actually say [In reply to] Can't Post

was the poison?
Well the GI tract of GI Joe is rather...inorganic. Now that is plasticationalTongue Laugh

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 4:31am

Post #46 of 124 (769 views)
Shortcut
OK this got me interested in just how many pips would be needed [In reply to] Can't Post

i found that you need as little as 200mg of HCN (cyanide) to give a lethal dose. However it is worked out at approx 1.5mg per kg of bodyweight, so if your weight multiplied by 1.5 comes to more than 200mg then you need more.

1g of dried apple pips gives 0.6-0.7mg of HCN. This means you would need at least 333.3g of dried apple pips (going off 0.6mg).

I dont know how much the few seeds in an apple weight but i doubt its much at all.

then you have to actually extract the HCN from the seed - it passes undigested through the body as it was designed to do so that would require either vigorous chewing of each seed one after the other or some other method - maybe a lab can extract it?

Essentially you would have to be trying real hard to die to do so from apple seeds, and thats the end of my morbid post, lol.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:32am

Post #47 of 124 (795 views)
Shortcut
You old salty you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

I have gradUated to sea salt meself.

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 4:35am

Post #48 of 124 (794 views)
Shortcut
No that is fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure you will live longer in terms of years than i will with that way of thinking/method. Less free radicals and more antioxidants i expect in your diet than what are in mine!

I noticed in another thread you dont eat red meat is that correct? Is that for the health concerns over the meat e.g. potentially cancerous? or just the taste?

If red meat didnt taste so good to me i probably would do the same but for me i think i would rather live a little less but eat some red meat than go without, crazy as that sounds!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:37am

Post #49 of 124 (784 views)
Shortcut
Well I think both of you [In reply to] Can't Post

are the salt of the earth. Cool

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 4:37am

Post #50 of 124 (816 views)
Shortcut
OK then imin [In reply to] Can't Post

i will leave you to not worry about such things. There are enough other poisons in the environment to dwell on, one more won't hoit right?Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.