Don't like apples
View Results (104 votes)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2013, 2:21am

Post #101 of 124 (1528 views)
Shortcut
Ever try with balsamic ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I find they go great together! Yes, straight balsamic. The juicy sweetness of the apple offsets the sharp acidity and brings out the balsamic flavor. I'm not kidding. Slice the apples, dip them in the vinegar.... wow, it gives me a new appreciation for balsamic.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:09pm

Post #102 of 124 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love apples (especially Granny Smith ones). Always have. Always will. When I was a kid, I always ate the apple like everyone else, just ate it whole. Then for some reason I began cutting the apple in 4 pieces leaving the core of course. Ever since, I always cut the apples, I never just eat them without a knife involved. Strange habit, I know!

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:13pm

Post #103 of 124 (1401 views)
Shortcut
A taste that we share! [In reply to] Can't Post

But then I'm the sort of person that likes to suck citrus fruits.

Same. I eat or "drink" lemons and limes. People think I'm a lunatic! I also sometimes eat whole onions and garlics raw as well, people have been reacting to that too.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:14pm

Post #104 of 124 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Butter + apples? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm.... I'm not convinced Tongue

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:17pm

Post #105 of 124 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

As a great fan of (mostly green apples) the real taste is definately lost if peeled.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:19pm

Post #106 of 124 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Salting apples? [In reply to] Can't Post

Never heard of this, sounds interesting. How does it enhance the flavour?

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:44pm

Post #107 of 124 (1394 views)
Shortcut
What kind of apple was it? [In reply to] Can't Post

It varies greatly from apple to apple. Some apple-skins taste very little, while others have a strong presence.

EDIT: I see now that it was Red Delicious, missed that part. You should try Granny Smith!

(This post was edited by macfalk on Feb 11 2013, 8:46pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:56pm

Post #108 of 124 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Woah! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Anyway I prefer apples that is a little sweet and soft. I hate hard, sour apples."

Interesting, I am of the complete opposite opinion - I love sour, hard apples, the harder the better. And apples that are soft-ish and overly sweet I don't even bother with, I don't like them because their taste is nothing to me. Cool

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:57pm

Post #109 of 124 (1403 views)
Shortcut
Lost your appletite, you mean? // [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 3:38am

Post #110 of 124 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Have you attempted organic apples? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it is the pesticides that are causing the reaction. I have never heard of anyone allergic to apples before. I have heard of many more people having reactions to pesticides on produce in general.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Feb 12 2013, 10:15am

Post #111 of 124 (1410 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if I have tried organic apples [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't think it's the pesticides. I've been tested and I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to a particular protein which is in birch pollen, apples, potatoes and quite a few other fruits too. Thanks for trying to help though Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 1:18pm

Post #112 of 124 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Ouch. [In reply to] Can't Post

That sucks.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Feb 12 2013, 1:33pm

Post #113 of 124 (1410 views)
Shortcut
It's not that bad [In reply to] Can't Post

With most of the fruits it's not a big deal, just a bit of an itchy throat, and it's fine once it's been cooked. Just don't ask me to peel potatoes!

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 1:41am

Post #114 of 124 (1350 views)
Shortcut
I will give those a try [In reply to] Can't Post

The first one was a Red Delicious and the skin was, alas, not delicious :-). It was thick with a not very pleasant texture and not much taste either. However I've moved on to Gala apples now. I like them much better. In fact even the skin was much better - tastier, thinner but still had a nice crunch. I'll give a Granny Smith a try next. It's really wonderful - at my local supermarket, there is always a beautiful display and selection of all different types of apples, colors, sizes, etc. They look so appetizing. Apples are my favorite fruit and I have to say, this thread has really gotten me feeling adventurous! I'm going to try more of all the different varieties.

And which is your favorite, is it the Granny Smiths :-)?

imin
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 3:02am

Post #115 of 124 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Pink lady apples [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't go wrong, perfect balance of sweet and sour taste with more crunch than delicious - only apple variety i eat pretty much now. lovely colour as well Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 8:02am

Post #116 of 124 (1435 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

They are probably the crunchiest apples out there. Some may experience them "sour", but I don't. I like other apples too, but if I'm buying apples at a store, 9/10 it's Granny Smith I'm taking home.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 14 2013, 1:08am

Post #117 of 124 (1379 views)
Shortcut
A protein allergy! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is interesting. Gluten is a protein also. Thanks for the info, i learned something. And the protein is compromised due to cooking!
Peeling potatoes i do not do neither...i eat it Laugh I just wash it thoroughly. Again i try to get as much organic foods as possible.

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 14 2013, 4:15pm

Post #118 of 124 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Granny Smith apples are great for applie pie... [In reply to] Can't Post

For eating raw, not so much. Wink

Of the commonly found supermarket applies, I prefer Gala. In general, I tend to like sweet apples that, for some reason, tend to be colored with a mix of red and gold. Many local applies are quite good, but they generally are similar to Gala, if a bit tastier.

I don't have a strong preference for crisp vs.soft.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 14 2013, 4:20pm

Post #119 of 124 (1364 views)
Shortcut
I love Granny Smith "raw" as you call them [In reply to] Can't Post

They are by far the tastiest type of apple out there, if you ask me. What in particular dont you like about them?

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 14 2013, 4:34pm

Post #120 of 124 (1339 views)
Shortcut
Different people have different tastes. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're far too sour for my tastes. In a pie, when you add sugar and such, they work great. But I don't like the taste of them raw at all. Not nearly sweet enough.

I tend to love bitter foots and sweet foods, but usually not sour foods, especially apples.

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 14 2013, 4:38pm

Post #121 of 124 (1329 views)
Shortcut
I love that this is the 3rd most replied-to poll ever on this site! [In reply to] Can't Post

If we keep talking about apples for a little longer, I think this can go to No. 1!

http://newboards.theonering.net/...so=DESC;page=1;mh=30;

imin
Valinor

Feb 14 2013, 4:50pm

Post #122 of 124 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Go Apples, woooo! // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 1:58am

Post #123 of 124 (1354 views)
Shortcut
Looks like i killed it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Finwe
Lorien

Feb 28 2013, 3:45pm

Post #124 of 124 (1641 views)
Shortcut
Apple Eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's my apple eating experience:

1. Core and slice apple with my handy kitchen appliance.
  2. Sit down to enjoy apple.
  3. Watch as my 3 year old sits down beside me and eats my apple.
  4. Wash, rinse, repeat.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.