Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What's for dinner tonight?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

acheron
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 1:59am

Post #1 of 28 (316 views)
Shortcut
What's for dinner tonight? Can't Post

Do we do cooking threads? We should do cooking threads.

Here: vaugely Cuban-style black beans and rice plus thin marinated steaks. I came up with this at the last minute, so it isn't that impressive, but it ended up being pretty good. Black beans with garlic, onion, cumin, and chili powder (would like red/green bell pepper in it too but my wife can't eat it), plus some rice (basmati because that was in the cupboard), and steaks marinated in lime juice, chili, oregano, salt, and black pepper, then pan-fried.

To drink: thematically inappropriate Dark and Stormy: dark rum, ginger beer, lime. (Thematically inappropriate because D&S's are associated with British islands, especially Bermuda; while black beans + rice are associated with Cuba, but I used lime in both the food and the drink so I think it worked out.)

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 9 2013, 2:12am

Post #2 of 28 (202 views)
Shortcut
hamburger tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

because it was on sale this week but I've got a container of home cooked pinto beans for burritos (we do them in the pressure cooker with no added seasoning other than salt and whatever goes on the burritos and they are yumious) and a big bowl of curried spilt peas for later in the week.

I'm thinking of trying to make chapatis. Anyone have any experience with making these?

I often think of picking everyone's brains for meals. Partly because I run out of fresh ideas but also because we are trying to live on a very low budget these days and I'm looking for low cost meals.

And a bag of beans is $1.50. That with some tortillas, a little cheese, and some salsa is cheap. When I search for budget meals they never seem that cheap to me!

What we do that you don't need to suggest:
:-)

black beans and rice
black bean soup (Cuban style is my favorite)
lentil soup
lentil burgers
split pea soup - with ham bone or curried
navy bean soup

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 2:17am

Post #3 of 28 (197 views)
Shortcut
Chapatis [In reply to] Can't Post

My mum used to make these, and they were so delicious - thin and very tasty. I wouldn't have a clue how to make them though.

imin
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 2:19am

Post #4 of 28 (195 views)
Shortcut
here you go :) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://indianfood.about.com/od/breadrecipes/ig/How-to-Make-Chapatis/

as for me - sunday roast dinner but on a tuesday, lol. i find it incredible i am losing weight eating such food!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 2:20am

Post #5 of 28 (202 views)
Shortcut
What's a bell pepper? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the same thing as a capsicum? (I just call them red, green, yellow or orange peppers).

I'm having chicken baked with cherry tomatoes, red onion, paprika, thyme, marjoram, lemon and olive oil.
Yummy!
And then for pudding, fresh cherries, or maybe nectarines, or possibly both. Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 2:22am

Post #6 of 28 (191 views)
Shortcut
There is nothing quite like [In reply to] Can't Post

a roast. Definitely high on my favourites. Smile

imin
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 2:23am

Post #7 of 28 (190 views)
Shortcut
One of my favourites to :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Your meal sounds very tasty though! Think i might try it sometime next week :)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2013, 2:27am

Post #8 of 28 (190 views)
Shortcut
Yes, capsicum [In reply to] Can't Post

We have red, yellow and green versions in the US.

acheron
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 2:28am

Post #9 of 28 (215 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

"bell peppers" are the mild/sweet red or green (etc.) capsicum peppers, as distinguished from chili peppers. Looking at Wikipedia, there seem to be a lot of terminology variations between the English-speaking countries, but in the US "bell pepper" is the common term. Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_pepper

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 2:32am

Post #10 of 28 (210 views)
Shortcut
I am such a lazy bones [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have looked it up for myself I suppose. Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 2:43am

Post #11 of 28 (184 views)
Shortcut
Normally, [In reply to] Can't Post

I make enough for two meals. I put heaps of lemon and olive oil in, and the leftovers are really good for a quick risotto.
Chicken thighs cope best with this treatment - I usually start with the oven super hot for the first 15 minutes, then turn it down so all the yummy flavours get going.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 3:05am

Post #12 of 28 (187 views)
Shortcut
It is the usual again tonight. [In reply to] Can't Post

A large salad with romaine, tomatos, onion, broccoli and celery hit with a California virgin oil (only really certifiable virgin olive oil world wide i believe ) and red wine vinegar. Sometimes we add mushrooms, or peppers or cauliflower or spinach
Then we had a meat loaf with ground turkey and fresh spices (always away from red meats).

We are always quite lean on carbohydrates in our meals unless long workouts or races are imminent. Desert is later with a little dark chocolate.

I must mention our new (co-present) smoothie machine (getting away from a pure juicer) that i love. This afternoon i put a banana, an apple, fresh pineapple, a carrot, a couple of strawberries, a handful of flax seeds, a 1/4 cup of black strap molasses and filled up to the line with unsweetened almond milk (this time chocolate). It blend everything pulp and all to a rather grand smoothie. And it is gooood.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 3:07am

Post #13 of 28 (176 views)
Shortcut
steak salad [In reply to] Can't Post

a pile of greens + sliced avocado + artichoke hearts topped with sliced grass-fed beef.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2013, 3:12am

Post #14 of 28 (390 views)
Shortcut
Cooking thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to make a super-easy dinner - sauteed cubes of chicken breast simmered in store-bought Tikka Masala sauce, served over basmati rice with microwaved frozen veggies. I started preparing the ckicken, Only to discover i was out of the jarred sauce...! Fortunately the Internet turned up a recipe for making it, and I had about 2/3 of the needed ingredients (including the essentials, tomato sauce and cream) and only 1/4 of the recommended cooking time available, but I whipped up the sauce myself. Turned out way better than the jarred stuff, actually, so I will be doing this again.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 3:20am

Post #15 of 28 (186 views)
Shortcut
We cook a BIG pot of brown rice Magpie, [In reply to] Can't Post

the 45minute to cook type, spiced with fresh herbs and freeze it all in several containers to last about 10-14days (used every morning at least). It is nutritious and has fiber and can be added to a host of meals. And it pretty cheap as well.

I think it is better and cheaper to stay away for all the processed prepared ...stuff. I agree with the beans especially the black and kidney ones.

I should mention the all-natural almond and hazelnut milk that comes in quart containers for 2.99. It contains considerately more calcium that milk.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 4:36am

Post #16 of 28 (170 views)
Shortcut
Red beans and rice [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know this song?
It's my favourite song about food, and quite the funkiest ditty about the pleasures of eating wholefoods I've ever heard. Cool

"The way to my heart is with a garlic clove"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 9 2013, 8:20am

Post #17 of 28 (168 views)
Shortcut
Everyone's dinner sounds delicious ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lazy ... and just made a ham sandwich ...

Unimpressed

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 8:27am

Post #18 of 28 (265 views)
Shortcut
A ham sandwich [In reply to] Can't Post

can be a very yummy dinner.
One of my favourite things to eat is good fresh bread with good cheese, no additions.
Delicious.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 5:01pm

Post #19 of 28 (152 views)
Shortcut
We've been blessed with 3 inches of rain since yesterday, and it's still falling. [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's perfect soup weather!

I'm going to make some beef soup which I threw together one night out of desperation. We had been somewhere all day, I hadn't been to the grocery store for a while, and only had ground beef in the fridge. Here's what I came up with, and the kids actually liked it!

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped, or a couple handfuls of the bagged, matchstick carrots
1 tsp browning sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder, or a couple cloves, crushed
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil
6-8 cups water, with 1 beef bullion cube for each cup of water

Brown beef, then add browning sauce. Add veggies and cook til onions are translucent. Add spices. Add water with bullion. (You don't need to add any extra salt with the bullion cubes.) Simmer around 30 minutes. Of course, the longer this simmers, the better it tastes. Leftovers are good, too.

Serve with some kind of bread to dip in the soup.
Also can add cubed potatoes, but I didn't have any potatoes at the time I came up with this.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2013, 5:32pm

Post #20 of 28 (145 views)
Shortcut
Probably just pasta and marinara sauce [In reply to] Can't Post

we eat a lot of pasta in this household
especially with fresh spinach and sometimes ricotta.
mmmm....

Thursday or Friday we'll make a nice meal. Not sure what though.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Ciars
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 7:04pm

Post #21 of 28 (149 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm already making notes! Tonight I made sea bass with a rosemary,cheese and scallion(spring onion) topping, with salad and garlic and rosemary potatoes. When I say made I mean I bought the fish with the topping on them and then put them in the oven!

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 7:24pm

Post #22 of 28 (143 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was about to be all impressed with your fish cooking skills! I can't cook fish to save my life. Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 9:29pm

Post #23 of 28 (142 views)
Shortcut
Probably left-over spaghetti [In reply to] Can't Post

We make it vegetarian and Uncle Baggins adds in hamburger to his and I add in tofu to mine.

The last batch included kluski noodles, canned tomato sauce, canned diced tomatoes, diced onion, diced bell peppers (red, orange, yellow and green), mushrooms, olives, chickpeas, corn, chili powder and salt. Kind of a Mexican flavor, I guess.

To drink, iced decaf coffee brewed in the fridge (I steep it in water: 8 tablespoons ground coffee in half a gallon water in a glass bottle. The grounds settle and I pour the coffee off the top.) Uncle Baggins prefers hot tea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2013, 11:11pm

Post #24 of 28 (130 views)
Shortcut
Pasta! [In reply to] Can't Post

We like pasta too. Tonight I made whole wheat linguine topped with shrimp scampi, and some steamed broccoli as a side dish.

Our other regular pasta favorite is spaghetti carbonara.

imin
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 11:26pm

Post #25 of 28 (133 views)
Shortcut
Treated myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I have lost 8.2lb in 8 days so i thought i would treat myself.

My gf suggested a take out i had never ordered from. I got this kebab and it was massive - longer than a baby! i weight it 7lb! That's the weight of a new born!

In the end i only ate 1.5lb as i was totally stuffed and think i might be eating kebab for the next few days, lol.

Oh it was a chicken tikka, lamb and donner meat kebab on garlic naan with chilli, ketchup and bbq sauce (kinda went a bit mental on sauces there, lol).

Just weight myself a couple hours after meal - from all the salt in the meal and water i have drank - gained extra 4 lb, lol.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.